TSN loses NHL Hockey Rights

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: TSN loses NHL Hockey Rights

Post by Strangelove »

Mëds wrote: Hey Doc, which site makes for the most entertaining read as far as pointing and laughing at Maple Laugh fans go?
I prefer the Leaf board at HF, lots of bedwetters there. :D
____
Try to focus on someday.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Mëds wrote:Hey Doc, which site makes for the most entertaining read as far as pointing and laughing at Maple Laugh fans go?
My dirty secret is I take a look at HFBoards http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/ every once and awhile for a laugh.

There is a thread in the leaves forum right now discussing why Dion isn't on the Canadian Olympic team roster entitled Why not Dion in Sochi?. It doesn't take long to start the comparisons to Weber, and it's all down hill from there. :lol:
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Yup, they're up and down like a whore's pants...
____
Try to focus on someday.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Strangelove wrote:Yup, they're up and down like a whore's pants...
We share the same dirty secrets... how strange. :oops:
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

The NHL obviously has not followed the NFL's model at all.

The NFL has spread around the games to multiple broadcasters, which keeps them all hungry. Fox, CBS, ESPN and NBC are all in on the NFL action.

If this deal significantly weakens TSN, and it looks like CBC is dead in the water, who is going to be left to bid again 12 years from now? Or do none of the owners care because of this big number called $5,000,000,000?

The cost of producing games has gone up at least 10-fold. How can this cost not be passed on to the consumer?
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

herb wrote:The NHL obviously has not followed the NFL's model at all.

The NFL has spread around the games to multiple broadcasters, which keeps them all hungry. Fox, CBS, ESPN and NBC are all in on the NFL action.
That's a good point, but do you honestly think the NFL would consider other offers if Fox (for example) offered them a quarter of a trillion dollars over nine years? That's pretty much equivalent to what just happened with the NHL.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Strangelove wrote:
Mëds wrote: Hey Doc, which site makes for the most entertaining read as far as pointing and laughing at Maple Laugh fans go?
I prefer the Leaf board at HF, lots of bedwetters there. :D
And you like to troll over at http://www.tmlfans.ca/community/
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

If this deal significantly weakens TSN, and it looks like CBC is dead in the water, who is going to be left to bid again 12 years from now? Or do none of the owners care because of this big number called $5,000,000,000?

The cost of producing games has gone up at least 10-fold. How can this cost not be passed on to the consumer?
The NFL also benefits from a much larger fan base.

And Rogers only got the rights in Canada, so really it came down to TSN or RSN. CBC was never in the picture outside of being a bargaining chip to keep HNiC going. The NHL took a guaranteed thing, especially if TSN was only going to $40M for sporadic coverage, the only way the NHL was getting the kind of money they got was to give someone exclusivity.....RSN wouldn't have ponied up nearly as much for the continuing regional coverage they already had.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Dark Knight.

My wife and I make a very comfortable living. Regardless, I have canceled my cable every summer for past ten years. I have enough things to keep me occupied during post-playoffs, when I feel no need to pay $ to watch re-runs and commercials.

In factl, since we got married (during the Kings series of '12) we've canceled our cable, and haven't missed it one iota. We have netflix (meh), stream movies, go out to movies and, when I feel up to it, I will stream a game. But in all honesty, I rarely get through it, not because I only have a 55", but I just get bored. I always enjoy going to family/friends houses to watch the game, but we wind up socializing more than anything. Dark Knight, its not about being cheap, rather, what would I rather do with my time?

I still enjoy following the team, but this whole hockey rights news doesn't effect me one bit. Its more media generated than anything.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

BladesofSteel wrote:Dark Knight.

My wife and I make a very comfortable living. Regardless, I have canceled my cable every summer for past ten years. I have enough things to keep me occupied during post-playoffs, when I feel no need to pay $ to watch re-runs and commercials.

In factl, since we got married (during the Kings series of '12) we've canceled our cable, and haven't missed it one iota. We have netflix (meh), stream movies, go out to movies and, when I feel up to it, I will stream a game. But in all honesty, I rarely get through it, not because I only have a 55", but I just get bored. I always enjoy going to family/friends houses to watch the game, but we wind up socializing more than anything. Dark Knight, its not about being cheap, rather, what would I rather do with my time?

I still enjoy following the team, but this whole hockey rights news doesn't effect me one bit. Its more media generated than anything.
Great post... :thumbs:
If you need air...call it in
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

I am already watching less Canucks so going PPV will give me more reason to watch paint dry and at the moment that is as about exciting as some of the games I do watch.

PPV is gone and Rogers will lose money if they try it.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

The thing I hated the most about PPV was you couldn't record the games. They used to have a lot of eastern games and it was sometimes impossible to get home to watch the full game. You ended up paying for games whether you watched or not. Well at least I did because I bought the package rather than pay for individual games.
The only HW the Canucks need
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Interesting thought and I certainly don't disagree.

That being said the NHL does not have the market the NFL does.. there was a point in the last decade where nobody was "hungry" for NHL broadcasting rights and they did not spread them around because nobody would pay for them. I don't think they were receiving money at all (?) when they were on the OLN in the states, for example.

Also with regards to TSN a lot can change in twelve years but right now they are owned by a pretty big company themselves and all else remaining the same I'm pretty comfortable they'll still be around at that point (and will probably be able to secure the backing they'd need to buy their way back in).
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

dbr wrote:Interesting thought and I certainly don't disagree.

That being said the NHL does not have the market the NFL does.. there was a point in the last decade where nobody was "hungry" for NHL broadcasting rights and they did not spread them around because nobody would pay for them. I don't think they were receiving money at all (?) when they were on the OLN in the states, for example.

Also with regards to TSN a lot can change in twelve years but right now they are owned by a pretty big company themselves and all else remaining the same I'm pretty comfortable they'll still be around at that point (and will probably be able to secure the backing they'd need to buy their way back in).
The NHL certainly does not have the market the NFL does, but the stark contrast in approaches is interesting. The NHL approach does seem somewhat counter intuitive to me, but I can understand why they took the $5B and ran. I probably would too.

I think TSN will be around in 12 years, absolutely. It's a great channel with lots of content outside of the NHL. I also think there is a chance TSN will get in on some of this sub-licensing Rogers has already agreed to with CBC (once the CBC agreement expires) and we could see NHL hockey on TSN again before too long.

In 12 years, we probably won't even have cable TV like we do today. It'll be interesting to see how the market evolves.

The NHL sure seems to be growing. $200M/year from NBC, and over $400M/year from Rogers. That works out to over $20M/year per team. That's a lot of cash flow the league didn't have even a couple of years ago. 10 and 12 year contracts with NBC and Rogers seem like long terms for a league that has grown from basically no national broadcast revenue to hundreds of millions in only a few years.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

BurningBeard wrote:That's a good point, but do you honestly think the NFL would consider other offers if Fox (for example) offered them a quarter of a trillion dollars over nine years? That's pretty much equivalent to what just happened with the NHL.
Well, the Canadian deal went from $160M/year to around $433M/year, or nearly three times. It looks like the NFL makes ~$3B/year (increasing to $5B next year), so if one of the broadcasters came in and offered $15B, then yeah, I think it would change things.

They are of course different situations. The US has at least four major broadcasters. Canada has two and a public one that is going broke. Rogers has certainly paid a premium for exclusivity, which I can only assume they believe will be massively profitable for them.