TSN loses NHL Hockey Rights

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 17161
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: TSN loses NHL Hockey Rights

Post by Strangelove » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:58 pm

Meds wrote: Hey Doc, which site makes for the most entertaining read as far as pointing and laughing at Maple Laugh fans go?
I prefer the Leaf board at HF, lots of bedwetters there. :D
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1318
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:02 pm

Re: TSN loses NHL Hockey Rights

Post by BurningBeard » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:01 pm

Meds wrote:Hey Doc, which site makes for the most entertaining read as far as pointing and laughing at Maple Laugh fans go?
My dirty secret is I take a look at HFBoards http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/ every once and awhile for a laugh.

There is a thread in the Leaves forum right now discussing why Dion isn't on the Canadian Olympic team roster entitled Why not Dion in Sochi?. It doesn't take long to start the comparisons to Weber, and it's all down hill from there. :lol:
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 17161
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: TSN loses NHL Hockey Rights

Post by Strangelove » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:03 pm

Yup, they're up and down like a whore's pants...
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1318
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:02 pm

Re: TSN loses NHL Hockey Rights

Post by BurningBeard » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:08 pm

Strangelove wrote:Yup, they're up and down like a whore's pants...
We share the same dirty secrets... how strange. :oops:
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.

User avatar
herb
CC Legend
Posts: 3014
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:17 pm
Location: Mars

Re: TSN loses NHL Hockey Rights

Post by herb » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:17 pm

The NHL obviously has not followed the NFL's model at all.

The NFL has spread around the games to multiple broadcasters, which keeps them all hungry. Fox, CBS, ESPN and NBC are all in on the NFL action.

If this deal significantly weakens TSN, and it looks like CBC is dead in the water, who is going to be left to bid again 12 years from now? Or do none of the owners care because of this big number called $5,000,000,000?

The cost of producing games has gone up at least 10-fold. How can this cost not be passed on to the consumer?

User avatar
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1318
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:02 pm

Re: TSN loses NHL Hockey Rights

Post by BurningBeard » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:28 pm

herb wrote:The NHL obviously has not followed the NFL's model at all.

The NFL has spread around the games to multiple broadcasters, which keeps them all hungry. Fox, CBS, ESPN and NBC are all in on the NFL action.
That's a good point, but do you honestly think the NFL would consider other offers if Fox (for example) offered them a quarter of a trillion dollars over nine years? That's pretty much equivalent to what just happened with the NHL.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.

User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
Posts: 5885
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: TSN loses NHL Hockey Rights

Post by Meds » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:45 pm

Strangelove wrote:
Meds wrote: Hey Doc, which site makes for the most entertaining read as far as pointing and laughing at Maple Laugh fans go?
I prefer the Leaf board at HF, lots of bedwetters there. :D
And you like to troll over at http://www.tmlfans.ca/community/

User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
Posts: 5885
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: TSN loses NHL Hockey Rights

Post by Meds » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:50 pm

herb wrote:The NHL obviously has not followed the NFL's model at all.

The NFL has spread around the games to multiple broadcasters, which keeps them all hungry. Fox, CBS, ESPN and NBC are all in on the NFL action.

If this deal significantly weakens TSN, and it looks like CBC is dead in the water, who is going to be left to bid again 12 years from now? Or do none of the owners care because of this big number called $5,000,000,000?

The cost of producing games has gone up at least 10-fold. How can this cost not be passed on to the consumer?
The NFL also benefits from a much larger fan base.

And Rogers only got the rights in Canada, so really it came down to TSN or RSN. CBC was never in the picture outside of being a bargaining chip to keep HNiC going. The NHL took a guaranteed thing, especially if TSN was only going to $40M for sporadic coverage, the only way the NHL was getting the kind of money they got was to give someone exclusivity.....RSN wouldn't have ponied up nearly as much for the continuing regional coverage they already had.

BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1499
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:29 pm
Location: Lower left-hand corner

Re: TSN loses NHL Hockey Rights

Post by BladesofSteel » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:28 pm

Dark Knight.

My wife and I make a very comfortable living. Regardless, I have canceled my cable every summer for past ten years. I have enough things to keep me occupied during post-playoffs, when I feel no need to pay $ to watch re-runs and commercials.

In factl, since we got married (during the Kings series of '12) we've canceled our cable, and haven't missed it one iota. We have netflix (meh), stream movies, go out to movies and, when I feel up to it, I will stream a game. But in all honesty, I rarely get through it, not because I only have a 55", but I just get bored. I always enjoy going to family/friends houses to watch the game, but we wind up socializing more than anything. Dark Knight, its not about being cheap, rather, what would I rather do with my time?

I still enjoy following the team, but this whole hockey rights news doesn't effect me one bit. Its more media generated than anything.

User avatar
Uncle dans leg
CC Legend
Posts: 4835
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: in the shed with a fresh packed bowl

Re: TSN loses NHL Hockey Rights

Post by Uncle dans leg » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:04 pm

BladesofSteel wrote:Dark Knight.

My wife and I make a very comfortable living. Regardless, I have canceled my cable every summer for past ten years. I have enough things to keep me occupied during post-playoffs, when I feel no need to pay $ to watch re-runs and commercials.

In factl, since we got married (during the Kings series of '12) we've canceled our cable, and haven't missed it one iota. We have netflix (meh), stream movies, go out to movies and, when I feel up to it, I will stream a game. But in all honesty, I rarely get through it, not because I only have a 55", but I just get bored. I always enjoy going to family/friends houses to watch the game, but we wind up socializing more than anything. Dark Knight, its not about being cheap, rather, what would I rather do with my time?

I still enjoy following the team, but this whole hockey rights news doesn't effect me one bit. Its more media generated than anything.
Great post... :thumbs:
nobody forks...with the jesus

User avatar
Reefer2
MVP
MVP
Posts: 3800
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:47 am

Re: TSN loses NHL Hockey Rights

Post by Reefer2 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:26 pm

I am already watching less Canucks so going PPV will give me more reason to watch paint dry and at the moment that is as about exciting as some of the games I do watch.

PPV is gone and Rogers will lose money if they try it.

User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 13031
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: TSN loses NHL Hockey Rights

Post by Hockey Widow » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:46 pm

The thing I hated the most about PPV was you couldn't record the games. They used to have a lot of eastern games and it was sometimes impossible to get home to watch the full game. You ended up paying for games whether you watched or not. Well at least I did because I bought the package rather than pay for individual games.
The only HW the Canucks need

dbr
CC Legend
Posts: 3048
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: TSN loses NHL Hockey Rights

Post by dbr » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:29 am

herb wrote:The NHL obviously has not followed the NFL's model at all.

The NFL has spread around the games to multiple broadcasters, which keeps them all hungry. Fox, CBS, ESPN and NBC are all in on the NFL action.

If this deal significantly weakens TSN, and it looks like CBC is dead in the water, who is going to be left to bid again 12 years from now? Or do none of the owners care because of this big number called $5,000,000,000?

The cost of producing games has gone up at least 10-fold. How can this cost not be passed on to the consumer?
Interesting thought and I certainly don't disagree.

That being said the NHL does not have the market the NFL does.. there was a point in the last decade where nobody was "hungry" for NHL broadcasting rights and they did not spread them around because nobody would pay for them. I don't think they were receiving money at all (?) when they were on the OLN in the states, for example.

Also with regards to TSN a lot can change in twelve years but right now they are owned by a pretty big company themselves and all else remaining the same I'm pretty comfortable they'll still be around at that point (and will probably be able to secure the backing they'd need to buy their way back in).

User avatar
herb
CC Legend
Posts: 3014
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:17 pm
Location: Mars

Re: TSN loses NHL Hockey Rights

Post by herb » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:16 am

dbr wrote:Interesting thought and I certainly don't disagree.

That being said the NHL does not have the market the NFL does.. there was a point in the last decade where nobody was "hungry" for NHL broadcasting rights and they did not spread them around because nobody would pay for them. I don't think they were receiving money at all (?) when they were on the OLN in the states, for example.

Also with regards to TSN a lot can change in twelve years but right now they are owned by a pretty big company themselves and all else remaining the same I'm pretty comfortable they'll still be around at that point (and will probably be able to secure the backing they'd need to buy their way back in).
The NHL certainly does not have the market the NFL does, but the stark contrast in approaches is interesting. The NHL approach does seem somewhat counter intuitive to me, but I can understand why they took the $5B and ran. I probably would too.

I think TSN will be around in 12 years, absolutely. It's a great channel with lots of content outside of the NHL. I also think there is a chance TSN will get in on some of this sub-licensing Rogers has already agreed to with CBC (once the CBC agreement expires) and we could see NHL hockey on TSN again before too long.

In 12 years, we probably won't even have cable TV like we do today. It'll be interesting to see how the market evolves.

The NHL sure seems to be growing. $200M/year from NBC, and over $400M/year from Rogers. That works out to over $20M/year per team. That's a lot of cash flow the league didn't have even a couple of years ago. 10 and 12 year contracts with NBC and Rogers seem like long terms for a league that has grown from basically no national broadcast revenue to hundreds of millions in only a few years.

User avatar
herb
CC Legend
Posts: 3014
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:17 pm
Location: Mars

Re: TSN loses NHL Hockey Rights

Post by herb » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:37 am

BurningBeard wrote:That's a good point, but do you honestly think the NFL would consider other offers if Fox (for example) offered them a quarter of a trillion dollars over nine years? That's pretty much equivalent to what just happened with the NHL.
Well, the Canadian deal went from $160M/year to around $433M/year, or nearly three times. It looks like the NFL makes ~$3B/year (increasing to $5B next year), so if one of the broadcasters came in and offered $15B, then yeah, I think it would change things.

They are of course different situations. The US has at least four major broadcasters. Canada has two and a public one that is going broke. Rogers has certainly paid a premium for exclusivity, which I can only assume they believe will be massively profitable for them.

Post Reply