TSN loses NHL Hockey Rights

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ORCA
CC Veteran

Re: TSN loses NHL Hockey Rights

Post by ORCA »

The Brown Knight wrote:
ukcanuck wrote: From an internet user point of view ...live streaming is getting better
Not a knock against anyone earning less than six figures a year, but I think live streaming is extremely demeaning.

It's not the worst thing in the world obviously, but nothing beats watching a game in front of a 70 inch HD TV.

Again, no offense intended here.

Streaming is a nice cost effective option, but it ain't nothing like TV. Atleast for me anyways.
:roll:
I'm sorry, but did you really just "accidentally on-purpose" try to create an income benchmark for a middle-sized tv and a cable package, and laud your (self perceived baller) income level over the rest of the forum at the same time? That's impressive, Moneybags. Since when does money dictate whether you decide to watch a game online or not?
~Your Friendly Neighborhood Killer Whale
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Topper wrote: SportsNet has been given control of Centre Ice and GameCentre in this deal. I don't see your situation improving.

My point exactly. We already have that SN channel that does not form part of the Shaw HD package. I see more like this with free game three nights a week, spread out by teams and eventually a migration to more PPV options.

If that happens I go back to a spread it viewer. Been there done that and I have no interest in paying any more than info now for television viewing.

I may have to start drinking again so I can go to the bars and watch games :mrgreen:

Competition is good. This deal destroys competition. This is a bad thing IMHO.
I dunno HW.....didn't they scrap the team PPV's a few years ago because the viewership dropped considerably on those nights?

If viewership drops, then money is lost. Rogers will probably make more on advertising deals than they would on PPV games.

I also don't think the NHL is going to OK anything that will further piss of their fans.....

.....oh wait.....

We're fucked.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Topper wrote: SportsNet has been given control of Centre Ice and GameCentre in this deal. I don't see your situation improving.

My point exactly. We already have that SN channel that does not form part of the Shaw HD package. I see more like this with free game three nights a week, spread out by teams and eventually a migration to more PPV options.

If that happens I go back to a spread it viewer. Been there done that and I have no interest in paying any more than info now for television viewing.

I may have to start drinking again so I can go to the bars and watch games :mrgreen:

Competition is good. This deal destroys competition. This is a bad thing IMHO.
Yes
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Mëds wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:
Mëds wrote:
Did you really just call the Liberal Party run CBC an accurate reporting news broadcaster?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

As for hockey.....

CBC HNiC is even more heavily Toronto biased than TSN is. We were still hearing about Phil Kessel while Boston was sweeping Pittsburgh in the conference finals last year.....this a full two rounds after the leaves had been eliminated in a choke job that not even the Canucks can match.
Liberal run ?? wtf Mëds ya rednek, True dough aint won no E lecktion yet...
That's because Canada is smart enough to know how badly that would go for the country, despite the slant CBC puts on everything. :P

BTW, where have you been.....was thinking maybe you up and drowned in the channel or something.
I picked up an extra girlfriend and all the lying and cheating to get away with it is cutting into my sports watching :(
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

We'll see all the canucks games just fine, in fact we'll probably get to watch even more hockey games from other teams from West to East at the same price we pay now for typical tv subscriptions / sports packs.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ukcanuck wrote:
Mëds wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:

Liberal run ?? wtf Mëds ya rednek, True dough aint won no E lecktion yet...
That's because Canada is smart enough to know how badly that would go for the country, despite the slant CBC puts on everything. :P

BTW, where have you been.....was thinking maybe you up and drowned in the channel or something.
I picked up an extra girlfriend and all the lying and cheating to get away with it is cutting into my sports watching :(
Explains it......women and kids.....take up so much time.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

One thing I wonder about this deal is if there is some type of lockout/strike protection/provision. You would imagine that with a deal like this the NHL will be hard pressed to ensure there is labour peace. Does this give the NHLPA an upper hand when the time to negotiate comes?

Just a thought about the impact a deal like this will have with respect to the NHL/NHLPA relationship and whether Rogers will become a major stakeholder in how those negotiations unfold. Imagine a work to rule by players. We will play the game but no interviews with the media and no off ice involvement with the sponsors until a new deal is signed.

Just thinking out loud as I listen to Don a Cherry answer questions on his thoughts on the new deal. His thoughts? Has none. Doesn't even know if he still hs a job. Can't comment on something he knows nothing about :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote:Can't comment on something he knows nothing about :mrgreen:
Since when. :mrgreen:

The evil side of me loves how Rogers is gonna slowly pull the wings off the fly (HNIC) and kill DEAD it in 4 years.

And the good side of me....

Oh wait there is no "good side" of me.

Buy ya a drink H-dub?? Image
____
Try to focus on someday.
Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

So with TSN losing it's NHL rights does this mean "Oil Change" moves to Comedy Central where it belongs?
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

On the bright side....maybe those with the always useful masters in international business can get a job at Rogers Call Centre in India if they subscribe to the Ultimate Package™ of NHL games :D
Last edited by Arachnid on Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Some thoughts and comments a day later.

McLean says HNIC hasn't been a CBC production for several years. Rogers will assume production and GIVE the games to CBC. CBC gets some advertising slots to push out their latest ice dancing reality show.

On air, TSN will still be a sports reporting and analysis station. The guys on TSN Hockey and Sports Centre won't see much of a reduction. It will be the local TV production crews and the play by play/colour guys who do the games that will suffer. There is already a redundancy of these folks with CBC and Sports Net so figure on 2/3rds of the national pool of play by play/colour commentators and the TV production crews will be on the street looking for work flipping burgers.

Don Cherry will be 80 in February. I suspect Rogers lets nature take its course.

Apparently TSN's ceiling was around $40 million annually, similar to what they currently pay for the package they have.

Rogers' deal is more than ten times that, cue Carl Sagan - "billion and billions" for a monopoly on Canadian NHL broadcast rights across all platforms. It starts at $300 million the first year and escalates to over $500 million annually........and you still don't think more ppv is coming your way......LOL.

Rogers is already talking of a Centre Ice Lite.

The phrase "across all platforms" is intriguing. Ten years ago, only a few were watching games in high def, no one was watching on broadband......twelve years from now?

The deal goes beyond the terms of the current CBA so I suspect there is a claw back in case of another labour dispute. There is also no doubt that this deal would not have happened, given the acrimonious NHL/NHLPA history, without a ten year CBA.

The deal is $3.2 billion more than what Comcast (hello Mr. Snyder and the Philadelphia Flyers) paid for the ten year US rights.

The next MLSE board meeting will be a hoot.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Topper wrote:Some thoughts and comments a day later.

McLean says HNIC hasn't been a CBC production for several years. Rogers will assume production and GIVE the games to CBC. CBC gets some advertising slots to push out their latest ice dancing reality show.

On air, TSN will still be a sports reporting and analysis station. The guys on TSN Hockey and Sports Centre won't see much of a reduction. It will be the local TV production crews and the play by play/colour guys who do the games that will suffer. There is already a redundancy of these folks with CBC and Sports Net so figure on 2/3rds of the national pool of play by play/colour commentators and the TV production crews will be on the street looking for work flipping burgers.

Don Cherry will be 80 in February. I suspect Rogers lets nature take its course.

Apparently TSN's ceiling was around $40 million annually, similar to what they currently pay for the package they have.

Rogers' deal is more than ten times that, cue Carl Sagan - "billion and billions" for a monopoly on Canadian NHL broadcast rights across all platforms. It starts at $300 million the first year and escalates to over $500 million annually........and you still don't think more ppv is coming your way......LOL.

The phrase "across all platforms" is intriguing. Ten years ago, only a few were watching games in high def, no one was watching on broadband......twelve years from now?

The deal goes beyond the terms of the current CBA so I suspect there is a claw back in case of another labour dispute. There is also no doubt that this deal would not have happened, given the acrimonious NHL/NHLPA history, without a ten year CBA.

The deal is $3.2 billion more than what Comcast (hello Mr. Snyder and the Philadelphia Flyers) paid for the ten year US rights.

The next MLSE board meeting will be a hoot.
I thought the comments coming from Rogers were interesting. This deal gives them full control over Centre Ice. And as you mention they are talking about the ability to bundle a series of games for 5-6 dollars a month as opposed to having to buy the full Centre Ice deal. I think we will see some varied options.

They talk about the ability to choose between 8-10 games, as an example, on a Saturday night. Of course they add that this depends upon which broadcast signals you get or what platforms you use. So it's not like we will get to scroll through a list of options, without paying extra, to watch a game that may interest us.

I imagine a lot will be free at first to hook people in. They also talk about a lot of off ice programming that will be developed. To me we have enough of these pundits already on the air. Not sure how many more I can take.

They also currently hold the regional rights to the Canucks, the Alberta teams and some Leaf games. They indicated that the national broadcast rights will not alter the regional plans. I take that to mean that living n BC we should still get all the Canuck games as we do now.

I don't trust Rogers. Never have and never will. From one perspective though this should see the cap go up. :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

So Rogers is saying we will get more content then ever before. My concern is, what will this cost? Right now, we can get lots of hockey without expensive add-ons like PPV.

Honestly, I quite like the set-up we have now. Two or three Canucks games a week on Sportsnet, HNIC on Saturday and the three or four nationally broadcast games TSN has per week is enough hockey for me. Every single Canucks game is available without hindrance.

If Sportsnet got rid of Taylor, it really wouldn't be all that bad either. If Rogers somehow implemented a way where every single leaves game was blacked out on my TV, that'd be OK too!

Edit: The marquee Sunday game idea is a good one. No idea why this hasn't happened before.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Topper wrote:Some thoughts and comments a day later.

Counterpoint to this thought.....

There may be a surplus right now, but if you consider that CBC is only covering Saturday nights, and that Rogers will now have to carry the coverage of the games that TSN has been covering, then Rogers will probably scoop up a chunk of these colour and play by play commentators. No dispute about the production crews though, although it also wouldn't surprise me if both RSN and TSN have used the same local crews for the hands on stuff.

Topper wrote: Rogers' deal is more than ten times that, cue Carl Sagan - "billion and billions" for a monopoly on Canadian NHL broadcast rights across all platforms. It starts at $300 million the first year and escalates to over $500 million annually........and you still don't think more ppv is coming your way......LOL.

That is a huge chunk of change, I'm very surprised at how much more they went over TSN. I'm still not convinced there will be a massive change to the amount of PPV though. Last time they went that route people just pooled together and ended up going out to watch the game. The PPV option seems like a less than lucrative option for Rogers. They can't sell advertising in PPV, and if you are banking on scoring an extra few bucks from every tv subscriber then you are shortsighted to have missed that you might sell every game but chances are you will be selling to less than 30% of you actual viewing audience because of my previously mentioned reason. And I very much doubt that people would actually tune in to hockey games if they priced them at the same level as a fight.

On a personal level I do like the idea of a Center Ice Lite. I barely watch TV as it is, so if I could just by the most basic package and then purchase a subscription to just my team and not have to buy 2 sports packages and the HD sports......all depends on the cost though.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

herb wrote:Honestly, I quite like the set-up we have now. Two or three Canucks games a week on Sportsnet, HNIC on Saturday and the three or four nationally broadcast games TSN has per week is enough hockey for me. Every single Canucks game is available without hindrance.
I don't think many people think about it, but I like the simple fact it's on three different networks as well. The variety means I don't have to listen to a PJ Stock or John Garret every game, and things are much more tolerable that way.

It seems a lot of people are speculating how Rogers will turn this into some coin through PPV options. I think if they did this to the standard 82 game Canuck schedule that we now get for free, they would piss off a lot of fans, and not make much money in the process. If they sliced 10 games off the Nuck schedule and made them PPV I wouldn't pay for it. Sorry, I expect to see all the games for free now, I'm not going back to that. I think the way Rogers makes money off this deal is primarily through advertising, not making fans pay for games. If they're smart they'll also introduce something like NFL Red Zone for hockey, stick that on the specialty channels with the full package of games and get people to pay for that.

I think from an advertising perspective, this is a huge hammer for Rogers. Think about it, you're a beer company and (obviously) you want to advertise during hockey games in Canada. How much is that worth to you? There is only one company you can negotiate with now. Imagine what official sponsorship would sell for.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.