TSN loses NHL Hockey Rights

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Re: TSN loses NHL Hockey Rights

Post by ukcanuck »

Mondi wrote:This sort of thing troubles me for many reasons, but the main reason is the vertical integration run amok in the media and entertainment industry.

If my understanding is correct, Rogers now owns

(1) The Network (Rogers Sportsnet and the Score)
(2) The Infrastructure (Wires, Towers and Satellites)
(3) The Broadcast Property and the on-air talent (HNIC and Sportsnet Canucks...etc.)
(4) The Team (leaves)

In a lot of ways that is a monopoly, cartel, or whatever you want to call it. Good luck finding balanced coverage, or criticism of the leaves. Even if this whole thing were somehow corruption and bias free, the appearance of bias is automatic.

And, its another nail in the coffin of CBC. Whether the right-wing profits-before-people sector of this world understands it or not, there is great value in having a news-media outlet in the country that is not beholden to a corporate board of directors and shareholders whose only requirement is profit. Sometimes accurate reporting is contingent on not seeking out the best selling story. In a lot of ways, that is now impossible when it comes to hockey coverage.
Good points but not only that, its going to cost more to watch games from now on as they can charge whatever the fuck they like... And yes news and media has been bullshit for a long while and only continues to get worse. There is no point at all in buying a newspaper (asswipe is so much softer) or catching a news broadcast on any platform any more and hasn't been for a long time... if ever....
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Mëds wrote:
Mondi wrote:This sort of thing troubles me for many reasons, but the main reason is the vertical integration run amok in the media and entertainment industry.

(3) The Broadcast Property and the on-air talent (HNIC and Sportsnet Canucks...etc.)
(4) The Team (leaves)

In a lot of ways that is a monopoly, cartel, or whatever you want to call it. Good luck finding balanced coverage, or criticism of the leaves. Even if this whole thing were somehow corruption and bias free, the appearance of bias is automatic.

And, its another nail in the coffin of CBC. Whether the right-wing profits-before-people sector of this world understands it or not, there is great value in having a news-media outlet in the country that is not behold to a corporate board of directors and shareholders whose only requirement is profit. Sometimes accurate reporting is contingent on not seeking out the best selling story. In a lot of ways, that is now impossible when it comes to hockey coverage.
Did you really just call the Liberal Party run CBC an accurate reporting news broadcaster?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

As for hockey.....

CBC HNiC is even more heavily Toronto biased than TSN is. We were still hearing about Phil Kessel while Boston was sweeping Pittsburgh in the conference finals last year.....this a full two rounds after the leaves had been eliminated in a choke job that not even the Canucks can match.
Liberal run ?? wtf Mëds ya rednek, True dough aint won no E lecktion yet...
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

ukcanuck wrote:Good points but not only that, its going to cost more to watch games from now on as they can charge whatever the fuck they like...
This is where I'd like to see further details on things. It's being said that there will be no more regional restrictions, but will this mean the return of PPV games? Will you now have to pay for a special package to get Sportsnet if you're not with Rogers?

I'm not totally ready to pan this deal from a viewer's PoV. If I can get Canucks games in HD from my home in Ontario through Shaw without having to order NHL Centre Ice, then I am one happy viewer. With this virtual monopoly on Canadian games, though, colour me a bit skeptical.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

TV is quickly moving to an on-demand platform. Soon we will be seeing traditional cable TV go the way of the home phone with content being purchased in on demand formats.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I love the Shaw owned National Post closes out it's article with a pic of Duthie chuckling.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Lancer wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:Good points but not only that, its going to cost more to watch games from now on as they can charge whatever the fuck they like...
This is where I'd like to see further details on things. It's being said that there will be no more regional restrictions, but will this mean the return of PPV games? Will you now have to pay for a special package to get Sportsnet if you're not with Rogers?

I'm not totally ready to pan this deal from a viewer's PoV. If I can get Canucks games in HD from my home in Ontario through Shaw without having to order NHL Centre Ice, then I am one happy viewer. With this virtual monopoly on Canadian games, though, colour me a bit skeptical.
Maybe there was a time once in band camp when a monopoly was good for consumers but I can't name one...

From an internet user point of view ...live streaming is getting better
ORCA
CC Veteran

Post by ORCA »

I'm actually happy.

As a Canucks fan living outside of BC, all this means is a lot more Vancouver games for less money.
~Your Friendly Neighborhood Killer Whale
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

ORCA wrote:I'm actually happy.

As a Canucks fan living outside of BC, all this means is a lot more Vancouver games for less money.
What makes you say that?

The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

ukcanuck wrote: From an internet user point of view ...live streaming is getting better
Not a knock against anyone earning less than six figures a year, but I think live streaming is extremely demeaning.

It's not the worst thing in the world obviously, but nothing beats watching a game in front of a 70 inch HD TV.

Again, no offense intended here.

Streaming is a nice cost effective option, but it ain't nothing like TV. Atleast for me anyways.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
ORCA
CC Veteran

Post by ORCA »

Topper wrote: What makes you say that?
Because the only way for me to watch the 50 or so Canuck games on SNPac is to buy GameCentre for 200+ per season. Its not a big deal (cheap per game). I am optimistic it will make Vancouver games more accessible, without having to buy the equivalent of another HBO.
~Your Friendly Neighborhood Killer Whale
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Hockey Widow wrote: 3) TSN will undoubtably now have to cut a number of employees. Hopefully the good ones get snapped up by SN.
Won't hear much from that this season, but it should be interesting in the offseason about what persons will take 'their talents' to Sportsnet.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

SKYO wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: 3) TSN will undoubtably now have to cut a number of employees. Hopefully the good ones get snapped up by SN.
Won't hear much from that this season, but it should be interesting in the offseason about what persons will take 'their talents' to Sportsnet.
Maybe both networks could do a full day feature broadcast much like their wasted deadline day efforts.

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

ORCA wrote:
Topper wrote: What makes you say that?
Because the only way for me to watch the 50 or so Canuck games on SNPac is to buy GameCentre for 200+ per season. Its not a big deal (cheap per game). I am optimistic it will make Vancouver games more accessible, without having to buy the equivalent of another HBO.
SportsNet has been given control of Centre Ice and GameCentre in this deal. I don't see your situation improving.

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Topper wrote: SportsNet has been given control of Centre Ice and GameCentre in this deal. I don't see your situation improving.

My point exactly. We already have that SN channel that does not form part of the Shaw HD package. I see more like this with free game three nights a week, spread out by teams and eventually a migration to more PPV options.

If that happens I go back to a spread it viewer. Been there done that and I have no interest in paying any more than info now for television viewing.

I may have to start drinking again so I can go to the bars and watch games :mrgreen:

Competition is good. This deal destroys competition. This is a bad thing IMHO.
The only HW the Canucks need
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ukcanuck wrote:
Mëds wrote:

(4) The Team (leaves)

And, its another nail in the coffin of CBC. Whether the right-wing profits-before-people sector of this world understands it or not, there is great value in having a news-media outlet in the country that is not behold to a corporate board of directors and shareholders whose only requirement is profit. Sometimes accurate reporting is contingent on not seeking out the best selling story. In a lot of ways, that is now impossible when it comes to hockey coverage.
Did you really just call the Liberal Party run CBC an accurate reporting news broadcaster?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

As for hockey.....

CBC HNiC is even more heavily Toronto biased than TSN is. We were still hearing about Phil Kessel while Boston was sweeping Pittsburgh in the conference finals last year.....this a full two rounds after the leaves had been eliminated in a choke job that not even the Canucks can match.
Liberal run ?? wtf Mëds ya rednek, True dough aint won no E lecktion yet...
That's because Canada is smart enough to know how badly that would go for the country, despite the slant CBC puts on everything. :P

BTW, where have you been.....was thinking maybe you up and drowned in the channel or something.