TSN loses NHL Hockey Rights

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

TSN loses NHL Hockey Rights

Post by $lacker »

It's a sad day:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 36m
Official announcement expected Tuesday by NHL: CBC and Rogers have exclusive English-language NHL rights deal. Believed to be 12 year deal.

Personally TSN was the gold standard for all things hockey - the draft, games, trade deadline. The NHL is losing a great partner.
Lancer
CC Legend

Re: TSN loses NHL Hockey Rights

Post by Lancer »

...and the Toronto Sports Network is losing a lot of revenue. Better hope they can market the snot out of CFL football and curling... :lol:
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Oh poor Darren Dregar
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Bidding war for Bob McKenzie, sportsnet wins imo.

Sportsnet can drop half of their analysts and pick up some of TSN's.

Can't wait to see some playoff games on SPAC!...hope the Canucks can actually make the playoffs though
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

A sad day indeed. :(

However, this should increase the time that Westerners have for things other than hockey. :)
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Look for SVan to become PPV.

CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

Welcome home Hughson!
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

TSN was definitely the gold standard when it came to production.

They were also taking home diamond awards in the bias department.

Gotta wonder if Bobby Mac will leave TSN now.....he's about the only one I would want to see come over to RSN.

Quite happy to hear that there will be no regionalization of games. Bye bye blackouts.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Mondi wrote:This sort of thing troubles me for many reasons, but the main reason is the vertical integration run amok in the media and entertainment industry.

If my understanding is correct, Rogers now owns

(1) The Network (Rogers Sportsnet and the Score)
(2) The Infrastructure (Wires, Towers and Satellites)
(3) The Broadcast Property and the on-air talent (HNIC and Sportsnet Canucks...etc.)
(4) The Team (leaves)

In a lot of ways that is a monopoly, cartel, or whatever you want to call it. Good luck finding balanced coverage, or criticism of the leaves. Even if this whole thing were somehow corruption and bias free, the appearance of bias is automatic.

And, its another nail in the coffin of CBC. Whether the right-wing profits-before-people sector of this world understands it or not, there is great value in having a news-media outlet in the country that is not behold to a corporate board of directors and shareholders whose only requirement is profit. Sometimes accurate reporting is contingent on not seeking out the best selling story. In a lot of ways, that is now impossible when it comes to hockey coverage.
Did you really just call the Liberal Party run CBC an accurate reporting news broadcaster?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

As for hockey.....

CBC HNiC is even more heavily Toronto biased than TSN is. We were still hearing about Phil Kessel while Boston was sweeping Pittsburgh in the conference finals last year.....this a full two rounds after the leaves had been eliminated in a choke job that not even the Canucks can match.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

I am just stunned. I have no idea how TSN allowed themselves to get shut out of this deal. I guess they can always get World Cup skiing now that Rogers has the NHL...safe to assume all the good hockey analysts from TSN will be heading over to Rogers in short order.

So TSN basically has the CFL, Raptors, curling, world hockey championships, some weekend NFL games, MLS and Premier League soccer. This is a massive blow to TSN, who has built themselves up as far and away the premiere place for hockey in Canada.

This deal is $5.2B over 12 years, or $433M per year, which works out to $15M per NHL team per year.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Don't forget the HNIC theme, TSN still has that too.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

dbr wrote:Don't forget the HNIC theme, TSN still has that too.
:lol:

I guess they can play that during the Marlies games they broadcast.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

So with the 10 year deal between the Canucks and SportsNet for the regional package and now the 12 year National TV package shared with CBC, TSN is left with regional Leaves (partial), Sens, Jets and Habs games.

Ouch!

SportsNet better up their coverage from their current list of clowns. Start with basing analysis around Freidland and build from there.

Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

For now, this looks kind of bad. I've never been too impressed with SN's production. TSN does a better job than them or CBC. BUT, I suppose with the money in place, we may see some improvement, so we'll see how it goes.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/hock ... story.html

A little more detail on the new deal.

1) HNIC still gets it's iconic Saturday night game. Albeit with no control over what teams they get and expectations are that SN will keep all Leaf games. This allows HNIC to continue to broadcast games while minimizing tax payers costs the keep the show going. It will also result in job loss but not as much had the been shut out. If Rogers had problems with BB wonder how they feel about Cherry?

2) TSN also loses the rights to the draft so no live coverage for them.

3) TSN will undoubtably now have to cut a number of employees. Hopefully the good ones get snapped up by SN.

4) hopefully SN will continue to broadcast regionally all Canadian games for all Canadian teams. Since the deal also includes control over Centre Ice and all mediums could we see the coming of more PPV type situations? They get three exclusive broadcast nights per week for national broadcasts. But regionally theyvstill control the rest.

5) this deal has the potential to knock the piss out of TSN.
The only HW the Canucks need