Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Re: Trades and rumours 2013-14

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

RoyalDude wrote:I'd sacrifice Hansen and or Kassian/Tanev and a 2014 1st for Kane.
I wouldn't mind getting Kane too, but not sure I'd give up too much for him. His career best is 30 goals, which is nothing to sneeze at, but doesn't really blow me away either. Last year he had 17 goals in a shortened season, so about 30 goals I guess in 80 game schedule. This season he's struggling a bit, only 6 goals this far. Heck, Kassassian has like 5 goals already, playing less games than Kane and playing limited 3rd lines minutes with zero PP time. Kass is on pace for like 20 goals! I know he has some breakdowns at times (ie - bouncing off his check the other game and allowing the guy to walk in), but I think he deserves some time in the top 6 role. Magic Mike has really dried up in like the past 10 games and maybe should be taken off the 2nd line. In the beginning of the season, he came into camp in such great shape that he had great jump to his game and was making the smart play all the time, now it seems like the other NHLers are catching up to him in the fitness dept and I hate to say it, but he's starting to show why he has been a career journeyman/fringe NHLer (bouncing around NHL teams and AHL teams). I think the Sedin-Kes line should be broken up right now, it might work well against weak teams like Columbus, but if we play some good teams like Hawks, Kings, Sharks, it's too easy for other teams to shut us down. I'd like to see Zack get some times with the Sedins, if not then maybe a Higgins-Kes-Kassassian line again.

So yeah, I'd hang on to Zack right now. We gave up a good player to get him, so I'd give Zack every opportunity to develop his potential. He will still makes some mistakes at times, but he's showing signs of slowly coming around as well. I'd still be patient with him and keep him around for at least a couple more years. Look how long it took the sedins to get their game around? Like 4+ seasons? It'd be nice if Zack can develop faster, but we're in no rush with him as we have our stars and vets to lean on for now (ie - Sedins, Kes, Burr, Higgy, Hansen, etc).

I'd consider moving our other prospects for Kane and some of our younger NHLers (ie - Hansen, Tanev), but would like to keep BoHo if we can. However, if we can flip BoHo for Kane, then bascially we traded Schneids for Kane and if we think about it that way, it's a pretty good return for Schneids.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Topper wrote:I get the feeling Doc would trade for Pelle Lindburg because he was a Flyer.
Lindberg was a hell of a goalie, and the first European to win the Vezina.
Sadly, I think he's a bit past his prime, so to say...
Arguments with your girlfriend, heavy drinking and fast sports cars are a lethal combo. :(
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:I'd sacrifice Hansen and or Kassian/Tanev and a 2014 1st for Kane.
So yeah, I'd hang on to Zack right now. We gave up a good player to get him, so I'd give Zack every opportunity to develop his potential. He will still makes some mistakes at times, but he's showing signs of slowly coming around as well. I'd still be patient with him and keep him around for at least a couple more years. Look how long it took the sedins to get their game around? Like 4+ seasons? It'd be nice if Zack can develop faster, but we're in no rush with him as we have our stars and vets to lean on for now (ie - Sedins, Kes, Burr, Higgy, Hansen, etc).

I'd consider moving our other prospects for Kane and some of our younger NHLers (ie - Hansen, Tanev), but would like to keep BoHo if we can. However, if we can flip BoHo for Kane, then bascially we traded Schneids for Kane and if we think about it that way, it's a pretty good return for Schneids.
Yep. Production didn't take off until the 5th season for the twins.....and they were getting regular shifts as 2nd line players by season 3, and also playing together. Apart from them our (few) forward prospects have been bounced all over the line up and never given a defined role by the coaching staff until this year. So I am very inclined to give Kassian some time, especially if he is on pace for 20 goals in his limited role right now. Hank didn't hit 20 goals until his 8th season, Daniel had a 20G rookie year and then didn't get back to 20 again until his 5th season.

As for Horvat, I don't want to see us part with either him or Shinkaruk. I'd like to give Gaunce a bit more time as well. I think that the only young players that should be completely off the table in trade talks are BoHo, Shink, Kassian, and Corrado. Everyone else should be in play, and the name at the top of the list for me is Schroeder, who I think some GMs will still bite on as a little guy with some promise.....particularly in the East.

I've always been less than impressed with all the NTCs that Gillis handed out, but one thing that I think really sucks about all of them is that if this team does start to show signs of serious decline, trying to trade up in the draft to build for a stronger future will become more problematic when all of our really valuable pieces have to waive before they can be moved.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

ANYONE outside of the twins, Kesler, Horvat, Shinkaruk, and our Top 4 defensemen should be made available to acquire the services of Evander Kane in my opinion.

p.s.___________If there are any franchise centers or franchise defensemen that ever become available at any point this year, I'd go as high as Kesler, Edler, and a 1st.

Kesler, Edler, and a 1st is what I would offer for Shea Weber by the way.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

Strangelove wrote:
Knucklehead wrote: Call me crazy but maybe we can reaquire Barker (?) was it who was drafted 3rd overall and flip him for Schenn, but since Schenn was only drafted 5th overall perhaps Philly would throw in a 2nd to even it out.
Did I mention Luke Schenn led the Flyers in icetime last season at age 22-23? :scowl:

... and had more hits than any 3 of the Canuck top-4 dee combined (and almost as many fights).

You're crazy.
Hey Doc,

I was thinking about your ideas for the Flyers and the more I think about it, the more I do like it.

We're different than the Flyers in a lot of obvious ways, but we're also similar to them in many ways (i.e. we're both teams that have been in decline after making our respective cup runs).

IF the Canucks were to make a deal with the Flyers, I'd like to see something massive go down.

Not just swapping 1-2 players...............but like a 10 player deal of sorts.

I haven't worked it out from a cap standpoint, but something along the lines of us giving them Kesler, Edler, Hansen, Tanev, and a 1st rounder, and us getting Brayden Schenn, Luke Schenn, Wayne Simmonds, Sean Couturier, and another defenseman.

Both teams could use a massive shake up, and I think in many ways, the Canucks and Flyers have almost polar opposite strengths and weaknesses.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Evander Kane would be a dream pick up. I can't see a scenario, but if that could be pulled off, bravo.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

So the Capitals traded arguably their top prospect in Filip Forsberg (a player ranked probably in the top five of his draft who slipped somewhat inexplicably to them at #11) for Martin Erat who has now requested a trade out of the organization after a mere 427:10 of ice time in a Caps sweater.. I don't imagine that total will be much greater when they finally do move him for pennies on the dollar.

https://twitter.com/VogsCaps/status/405023381684510720
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Van media reported that 8 pro scouts were in attendance last Saturday. Coincidental convergence of pro scouts making the rounds, or is this evidence of something more?

Count me as one of the hopeful. This team is so ripe for a significant shake-up. :)
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

dbr wrote:So the Capitals traded arguably their top prospect in Filip Forsberg (a player ranked probably in the top five of his draft who slipped somewhat inexplicably to them at #11) for Martin Erat who has now requested a trade out of the organization after a mere 427:10 of ice time in a Caps sweater.. I don't imagine that total will be much greater when they finally do move him for pennies on the dollar.

https://twitter.com/VogsCaps/status/405023381684510720
I never really got that move. Smacks of desperation unless the organization soured on Forsberg early and flipped him for what they could get. Wonder what would drive Erat to do something this drastic.

Hate the League.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Erat was immediate help to make the playoffs ...... could have been Paulson or Roy.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Topper wrote:Erat was immediate help to make the playoffs ...... could have been Paulson or Roy.
Desperation then. The Roy trade made sense at the time, even though it didn't get the team any further in the playoffs, and when you consider the Forsberg-for-Erat trade it doesn't look quite so bad. Much as people want to hack on Gillis - with varying degrees of legitimacy - there have been much worse trades made by GMs trying to make that one move to get them 'over the hump'. Thank God Clowe chose the Rags over Vancouver.

Hate the League.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Topper wrote:Erat was immediate help to make the playoffs ...... could have been Paulson or Roy.
Sure, but at the cost of Forsberg? Granted I hadn't been paying attention to Forsberg's development but it seemed like a shocking trade at the time.

And given his coach's rather particular ideas about wingers (should always play on their correct side, ie. left shooting RWs like Erat or R shooting LWs like say Alex Ovechkin will have bumpy transition periods) Erat seemed like a bizarre target for McPhee anyways.

You've got to wonder what the Preds would have asked for in terms of draft picks in exchange for Erat.. the Caps had a couple of 2nd rounders and the guy had already asked to be moved.

I guess to me the Caps need for a player like that makes sense but virtually nothing else adds up.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Lancer wrote:Van media reported that 8 pro scouts were in attendance last Saturday. Coincidental convergence of pro scouts making the rounds, or is this evidence of something more?

Count me as one of the hopeful. This team is so ripe for a significant shake-up. :)
They were sadly disappointed if they came to watch Booth play. :lol:

Actually, that probably would have been the case were he in the lineup as well.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

The Brown Knight wrote: Hey Doc,

I was thinking about your ideas for the Flyers and the more I think about it, the more I do like it.

We're different than the Flyers in a lot of obvious ways, but we're also similar to them in many ways (i.e. we're both teams that have been in decline after making our respective cup runs).

IF the Canucks were to make a deal with the Flyers, I'd like to see something massive go down.

I haven't worked it out from a cap standpoint, but something along the lines of us giving them Kesler, Edler, Hansen, Tanev, and a 1st rounder, and us getting Brayden Schenn, Luke Schenn, Wayne Simmonds, Sean Couturier, and another defenseman.

Both teams could use a massive shake up, and I think in many ways, the Canucks and Flyers have almost polar opposite strengths and weaknesses.
Yup these two teams make good trading partners fo sho bro.

And no doubt Yankee Doodle Dandy (Kesler) would waive to go there (signed with them as an RFA).

Flyers might take on fellow yank Booth for the right deal (they like em big in Philly and don't mind buyouts)

I think they still have a couple million $$ in LTIR room atm ....

They would want a dee coming back, preferably an offensive dee.

Edler is definitely the guy they'd want, not sure if he'd waive.

Kesler + Booth + Edler... FOR... ??

I like Simmonds and the Schenn brothers :mex:

... bigger, stronger, more assholish.

But yeah the Flyers would need to give up more than those 3 for Kesler + Booth + Edler.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Strangelove wrote:
The Brown Knight wrote: Hey Doc,

Yup these two teams make good trading partners fo sho bro.

And no doubt Yankee Doodle Dandy (Kesler) would waive to go there (signed with them as an RFA).

Flyers might take on fellow yank Booth for the right deal (they like em big in Philly and don't mind buyouts)

I think they still have a couple million $$ in LTIR room atm ....

They would want a dee coming back, preferably an offensive dee.

Edler is definitely the guy they'd want, not sure if he'd waive.

Kesler + Booth + Edler... FOR... ??

I like Simmonds and the Schenn brothers :mex:

... bigger, stronger, more assholish.

But yeah the Flyers would need to give up more than those 3 for Kesler + Booth + Edler.
Like maybe Giroux and Luke Schenn?