Are the Canucks an "impact" forward away from being LEGIT?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Are the Canucks an "impact" forward away from being LEGI

Postby ClamRussel » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:47 pm

If Gillis is to make a move it should be sooner than later. Deadline deals of significance almost always flop and the buying price is overinflated. Part of the reason they usually fail is it takes time to develop chemistry. If they are role players its easier to blend into a system. With all the NTCs on this team don't expect much.

The biggest opportunity is going to be in the summer when Booth is bought out and the cap goes up. There will be money & room to bring in UFAs.
"Once a King, always a King"
-Mike Murphy
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Postby Mondi » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:13 am

When people are contemplating adding Olli Jokinen, Stephen Weiss, or David Legwand via trade...you know your team is in trouble.

If the team is not close (i.e. within 1 or 2 points) to the playoffs for the rest of the season, they should start flipping veterans for picks and prospects. This team is no where near contending, no sense in trading youth for (tenuous) "skilled" players.
Mondi
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby The Brown Knight » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:18 am

Mondi wrote:When people are contemplating adding Olli Jokinen, Stephen Weiss, or David Legwand via trade...you know your team is in trouble.

Agreed completely.

FYI - I think adding any of those guys for the Canucks would be an absolutely terrible move (unless we're giving away David Booth and a shit round pick).
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Mondi » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:36 am

I'm not opposed to a down period, if the team goes about it the right way.

They have 10 or 20 games to get back into the thick of it, or why not start trading guys for picks and prospects?
Mondi
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Boston Canucker » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:49 am

Apparently Erat wants out of Washington. He makes 4.5 this year and next. Booth makes 4.25 this year and next. There is probably no deal there b/c Booth is likely untradeable but if Erat puts up enough of a stink, who knows. Two teams trade their problems, see what happens. A buyout in the summer could be used on Erat for only slightly more than Booth, no real difference. Anyway, probably won't happen, but just trying to figure out some way to get Booth gone and maybe add someone with offensive potential in return.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby The Brown Knight » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:03 am

Boston Canucker wrote:Apparently Erat wants out of Washington. He makes 4.5 this year and next. Booth makes 4.25 this year and next. There is probably no deal there b/c Booth is likely untradeable but if Erat puts up enough of a stink, who knows. Two teams trade their problems, see what happens. A buyout in the summer could be used on Erat for only slightly more than Booth, no real difference. Anyway, probably won't happen, but just trying to figure out some way to get Booth gone and maybe add someone with offensive potential in return.

Good thought, but I don't think anyone would be dumb enough to take on Booth's contract (i.e. Mike Milbury isn't a GM anymore :-p).

The Dark Indian Rises
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Rinne and Weber

Postby The Brown Knight » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:06 am

I'm about to go waaaaay out to lunch here on a hail Mary, but here goes:

Do you think both Rinne and Weber could be had from Nashville as part of a packaged deal for the right price?

Like Luongo, Kesler, Edler, Horvat, Shinkaruk.

We blow up our farm and get rid of some essential core pieces, but we would have a franchise defenseman and franchise goaltender locked up for all eternity.

The Dark Indian Rises
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Topper » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:12 am

Mondi wrote:When people are contemplating adding Olli Jokinen, Stephen Weiss, or David Legwand via trade...you know your team is in trouble.

When people are contemplating adding Olli Jokinen, Stephen Weiss, or David Legwand as "impact" forwards you know they are insane.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Topper
CC Legend

Postby Topper » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:13 am

When people are contemplating adding Olli Jokinen, Stephen Weiss, or David Legwand as "impact" forwards you know they are clinically insane.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Topper
CC Legend

Postby Boston Canucker » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:53 am

The Brown Knight wrote:
Boston Canucker wrote:Apparently Erat wants out of Washington. He makes 4.5 this year and next. Booth makes 4.25 this year and next. There is probably no deal there b/c Booth is likely untradeable but if Erat puts up enough of a stink, who knows. Two teams trade their problems, see what happens. A buyout in the summer could be used on Erat for only slightly more than Booth, no real difference. Anyway, probably won't happen, but just trying to figure out some way to get Booth gone and maybe add someone with offensive potential in return.

Good thought, but I don't think anyone would be dumb enough to take on Booth's contract (i.e. Mike Milbury isn't a GM anymore :-p).

True enough. Freaking McPhee gave up Filip Forsberg for Erat, and now the dude wants out cause Oates isn't playing him much. What a dopey trade. It's onlyu b/c Booth is such a disaster that Erat could be an upgrade in a no-lose situation. Anyway, it's a long shot to be sure...
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Rinne and Weber

Postby dbr » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:56 am

The Brown Knight wrote:I'm about to go waaaaay out to lunch here on a hail Mary, but here goes:

Do you think both Rinne and Weber could be had from Nashville as part of a packaged deal for the right price?

Like Luongo, Kesler, Edler, Horvat, Shinkaruk.

We blow up our farm and get rid of some essential core pieces, but we would have a franchise defenseman and franchise goaltender locked up for all eternity.

Rinne, Weber and a guy making the league minimum combine for a higher cap hit than Kesler, Edler and Luongo.
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby mathonwy » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:01 am

Because adding a player like Evander Kane is much more realistic....

Like it or not, Olli Jokinen, Stephen Weiss and David Legwand are all classified as top 6 forwards. So is Derek Roy.

Everyone wants a quick fix but nobody wants to acknowledge reality. If you feel that we are close, there are only so many top 6 forwards in this league that are available and those forwards are either underperforming based on their contract, on a shitty team or old. Want a top 6 forward that IS producing? Then we have to pony up someone that is also producing (which is nobody btw). Want a young guy? Prepare to overpay.

Erat is intriguing. Languished in Nashville's smothering D system for the longest time and now the odd man out in Washington. I still like Tuomo Ruutu.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Rinne and Weber

Postby The Brown Knight » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:09 am

dbr wrote:Rinne, Weber and a guy making the league minimum combine for a higher cap hit than Kesler, Edler and Luongo.

True.

It's a slow day and I know I'm talking out of my arse here. :P

In all honesty though, I would offer all three of Kesler, Edler, and Luongo for Rinne and Weber. Hell - I'd probably add in a high end draft pick as well.

If we had Rinne and Weber for those three, we'd arguably have one of the Top 3 bluelines and Top 3 goalies in the league.

Burrows goes back to playing with the twins.

Over the next 18-24 months, if Horvat and Shinkaruk become impact players, we would have a new formiddable second line.

Twins and Burrows on line 1, Shinky and Bo on line 2, a Weber lead defense, and Rinne in net.

A team like that would be competitive would they not?

Meh - moot point anyways. Like I said.....slow day.

The Dark Indian Rises
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby The Brown Knight » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:13 am

mathonwy wrote:Want a top 6 forward that IS producing? Then we have to pony up someone that is also producing (which is nobody btw).

Kesler isn't on par with what he was a few years ago in 2011, but he's put up some decent numbers this year I think.

Proposing Kesler and 1st would undoubtedly turn some heads......and I'm not talking about the head above the neck either.

I'm not sure why Shea Weber popped into my head this morning, but he's one guy I'm interested in if Nashville is game.

The Dark Indian Rises
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby SKYO » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:46 pm

mathonwy wrote:Because adding a player like Evander Kane is much more realistic....

Like it or not, Olli Jokinen, Stephen Weiss and David Legwand are all classified as top 6 forwards. So is Derek Roy.

Everyone wants a quick fix but nobody wants to acknowledge reality. If you feel that we are close, there are only so many top 6 forwards in this league that are available and those forwards are either underperforming based on their contract, on a shitty team or old. Want a top 6 forward that IS producing? Then we have to pony up someone that is also producing (which is nobody btw). Want a young guy? Prepare to overpay.

Erat is intriguing. Languished in Nashville's smothering D system for the longest time and now the odd man out in Washington. I still like Tuomo Ruutu.

Hear hear!! :thumbs:

Can't really see a Kane deal done this season unfortunately, as they'd probably want Edler, UNLESS they would settle for a young players type of package for a retool/semi rebuild, like Kassian, Tanev + 1st.
Similar to that Bobby Ryan trade where the Sens traded Jakob Silfverberg, Stefan Noesen + 1st.

But that's a little too big time for Mike Gillis, more realistic options that are in the "blockbuster" MG ballpark are for players such as Jokinen, Ruutu or Bourque.

Where Booth(capreasons) + Hansen would suffice for Ruutu(25% salary retained) or now Erat!

Jokinen would be superb for centering the 2nd line.
SKYO
CC Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat