Are the Canucks an "impact" forward away from being LEGIT?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: Are the Canucks an "impact" forward away from being LEGI

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote:5 biggest reasons why we went from cup contender to bubble team in a few short years

1. Loss of Erhoff
2. Booth not panning out
3. No more Ryan Beast Mode Kesler
4. The slow development of Kassian
5. Lack of quality prospects pushing for jobs
1. Agree.
2. Agree.
3. Agree.
4. Nope. Kassian always was a project. He's never been counted on to produce. The Canucks have been, and will continue to be, patient. Him not turning into a 25 goal guy immediately hasn't hurt us tremendously (although it would help, he's not been a massive disappointment).
5. Agreed.

I would replace Kassian with the loss of our Centre depth. Once Manny took that puck to the eye it was all downhill. Injuries to Kesler and the Hodgson trade only made things worse. We went from 1st in the league in faceoffs 2010-11, to 3rd in 11/12, to 25th in 12/13, and we're sitting at 12th this season. For a puck possession team, losing a lot of draws is not a good sign.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

RoyalDude wrote:5 biggest reasons why we went from cup contender to bubble team in a few short years

1. Loss of Erhoff
2. Booth not panning out
3. No more Ryan Beast Mode Kesler
4. The slow development of Kassian
5. Lack of quality prospects pushing for jobs
Agreed.

Hopefully numbers four and five pick up over the next year or so. The other three are more permanent downgrades.

If things aren't going so hot towards the trade deadline, I would like to see some trades that bolster our stable of 20ish year old prospects who should be pushing for jobs next year.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

I've changed my mind now, I think we should try to plan to sign Vanek in the offseason, if not then try to trade for him at the deadline.

He can pretty much be the entire 2nd line offense. :thumbs:
:rockin:
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

I don't want to start thinking about the offseason before Christmas, but it's getting harder not to do so.

If the Canucks don't make the playoffs - and it's a scarily realistic possibility - does Gillis get a chance to right the ship in the offseason with the knowledge that the cap will go up, the prized prospects might be more ready and some free agents to sign?

*season still salvageable....* :|
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Lancer wrote:I don't want to start thinking about the offseason before Christmas, but it's getting harder not to do so.

If the Canucks don't make the playoffs - and it's a scarily realistic possibility - does Gillis get a chance to right the ship in the offseason with the knowledge that the cap will go up, the prized prospects might be more ready and some free agents to sign?

*season still salvageable....* :|

Is there an Italian out there to be a GM? :mrgreen:

I think if we miss the playoffs in an embarrassingly easy fashion MG could be toast. But if we play the way we are, close in most games, he might get himself one more year.
The only HW the Canucks need
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

I think.... I agree that the Canucks are an impact forward away from being legit.

The problem of course is you need to give a lot to get a lot back.

What I would like to see GMMG go out and get is a legitimate 2nd line center. The Sedin Sedin Kesler experiment this year has shown me that Kesler is better used as a trigger man than a set up man. Where we get into trouble is when Torts starts juggling the lines and Kesler gets confused on whether hes a set up man or a trigger man.

Getting a legitimate 2nd line center gives us two main things. It allows Kesler to remain a winger and it gives us a legit 2nd power play group.

Ok. So who do we go out and get. More importantly, who is in the position to give up a top 6 center?

Dirty Jersey - Patrick Elias, 6'1, 190, age 37, 5.5M till 2015/16, NMC
- Old
- Worse contract than Booth's
- Underperforming on a shitty team (15gp, 4g, 7a)
- Unlike Sundin, still playing and I can see him being rejuvenated being on a much better team

Motown - Stephen Weiss, 5'11, 190, age 30, 4.9M till 2017/18, NMC, limited NTC
- **Concussion Risk**
- Horrible contract (based on current production)
- Severely underperforming for Detroit. (18gp, 2g, 1a)
- Extremely risky but we still have a compliance buy out.

Cowtown - Michael Cammelleri, 5'9, 180, age 30, last year at 6M, limited NTC
- I say no. Too small and a UFA next year.

The Peg - Olli Jokinen, 6'2, 210, age 34, last year at 4.5M, modified NTC
- Jokinen might not too bad and may not cost us all that much. We need size down the middle and he's that. He's shown in the past that he's has skills and it won't cost us both Sedins. :mrgreen:

Carolina - Tuomo Ruutu, 6'0, 205, age 30, 4.75 till 2015/16, NMC
- He's a risk but according to SBNation, he's on the trade market. Could be the perfect swap for Booth.
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sbn ... block.html

Philly - Sean Couturier, 6'3, 197, age 20, 1.75 till 2015/16, entry level contract
- One can dream right?
RyanGinger
CC Veteran

Post by RyanGinger »

Would you guys like Legwand as our 2C if he was feeding Kesler and Burr? Or would you rather have Santorelli in between them?
22-33-17
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

RyanGinger wrote:Would you guys like Legwand as our 2C if he was feeding Kesler and Burr? Or would you rather have Santorelli in between them?
Legwand is one of the very few forwards that is actually producing for Nashville.

No way they let him go.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

If Gillis is to make a move it should be sooner than later. Deadline deals of significance almost always flop and the buying price is overinflated. Part of the reason they usually fail is it takes time to develop chemistry. If they are role players its easier to blend into a system. With all the NTCs on this team don't expect much.

The biggest opportunity is going to be in the summer when Booth is bought out and the cap goes up. There will be money & room to bring in UFAs.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

Mondi wrote:When people are contemplating adding Olli Jokinen, Stephen Weiss, or David Legwand via trade...you know your team is in trouble.
Agreed completely.

FYI - I think adding any of those guys for the Canucks would be an absolutely terrible move (unless we're giving away David Booth and a shit round pick).
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Apparently Erat wants out of Washington. He makes 4.5 this year and next. Booth makes 4.25 this year and next. There is probably no deal there b/c Booth is likely untradeable but if Erat puts up enough of a stink, who knows. Two teams trade their problems, see what happens. A buyout in the summer could be used on Erat for only slightly more than Booth, no real difference. Anyway, probably won't happen, but just trying to figure out some way to get Booth gone and maybe add someone with offensive potential in return.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Boston Canucker wrote:Apparently Erat wants out of Washington. He makes 4.5 this year and next. Booth makes 4.25 this year and next. There is probably no deal there b/c Booth is likely untradeable but if Erat puts up enough of a stink, who knows. Two teams trade their problems, see what happens. A buyout in the summer could be used on Erat for only slightly more than Booth, no real difference. Anyway, probably won't happen, but just trying to figure out some way to get Booth gone and maybe add someone with offensive potential in return.
Good thought, but I don't think anyone would be dumb enough to take on Booth's contract (i.e. Mike Milbury isn't a GM anymore :-p).

The Dark Indian Rises
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Rinne and Weber

I'm about to go waaaaay out to lunch here on a hail Mary, but here goes:

Do you think both Rinne and Weber could be had from Nashville as part of a packaged deal for the right price?

Like Luongo, Kesler, Edler, Horvat, Shinkaruk.

We blow up our farm and get rid of some essential core pieces, but we would have a franchise defenseman and franchise goaltender locked up for all eternity.

The Dark Indian Rises
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Mondi wrote:When people are contemplating adding Olli Jokinen, Stephen Weiss, or David Legwand via trade...you know your team is in trouble.
When people are contemplating adding Olli Jokinen, Stephen Weiss, or David Legwand as "impact" forwards you know they are insane.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

When people are contemplating adding Olli Jokinen, Stephen Weiss, or David Legwand as "impact" forwards you know they are clinically insane.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.