Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by SKYO »

RoyalDude wrote:This team needs a helluva lot more than Mike '5 foot 9' Camalleri to make an impact in the playoffs. A BIG WASTE OF TIME. Another Derek '5 foot 9' Roy rental gone stupidly wrong.

You build your teams at the draft and in the UFA market.

During the season if you are struggling, you are fucked. It's a league where you can't re-tool on the fly.
Have to remember who we had at the helm when Roy was here, mr AV who didn't know what the hell to do when Kesler got back after Roy was playing perfectly fine with Higgins on the 2nd line.

Torts at least has the cojones to permafix Kesler on RW even though we only have 3rd line centers available.

Anyways Cammy riding shotgun with Kesler should finally be a solid 2nd line behind the wonder twins imho.

Plus Cammalleri can play center if need be, but is obviously more effective on wing.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Strangelove wrote:You need to learn to relax and enjoy the process my friend.
The Gillis spot
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

RoyalDude wrote:You build your teams at the draft and in the UFA market. During the season if you are struggling, you are fucked. It's a league where you can't re-tool on the fly.
Colorado Avalanche acquired Patrick Roy in 1996 during the season and won the cup that year

Sharks acquired Joe Thornton during the regular season in 2005 and went on to become one of the most consistently successful regular season teams in the NHL.

Oilers acquired Dwayne Roloson at the trade deadline in 2006 and went on a Cinderella cup run.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

SKYO wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:This team needs a helluva lot more than Mike '5 foot 9' Camalleri to make an impact in the playoffs. A BIG WASTE OF TIME. Another Derek '5 foot 9' Roy rental gone stupidly wrong.

You build your teams at the draft and in the UFA market.

During the season if you are struggling, you are fucked. It's a league where you can't re-tool on the fly.
Have to remember who we had at the helm when Roy was here, mr AV who didn't know what the hell to do when Kesler got back after Roy was playing perfectly fine with Higgins on the 2nd line.

Torts at least has the cojones to permafix Kesler on RW even though we only have 3rd line centers available.

Anyways Cammy riding shotgun with Kesler should finally be a solid 2nd line behind the wonder twins imho.

Plus Cammalleri can play center if need be, but is obviously more effective on wing.
Trust me Skyo...Cammalleri will not change the tide here in helping us get past the B-Hawks, Sharks, Blues, Kings, Ducks...etc. Why bother, why keep chipping away at futures for 31 year old rental smurfs.

He scores all his goals at the goaltenders left. Every shift he just stands there waiting for a pass. He's a one trick pony, easy to shut down in the mean nothing season.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by $lacker »

I tend to agree with RD on this one - while I think Cammy would help I don't think he's the kind of player we need on THIS team, right now. If Gillis is going to trade futures this season, then it needs to be for a real impact player. Problem is the type of guys Gillis probably makes available aren't going to net us that kind of player.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Folks are debating Cammy?

A descent into madness.

Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

SKYO wrote:
Larry Goodenough wrote:
SKYO wrote:
It's been apparent though even since the cup run that the twins need secondary scoring assistance, for which MG has never helped with much with trades/signings.
This year's team is scoring 0.1 goals less per game at even strength than the 2010-2011 Finals team.
This year's team is scoring 65% less powerplay goals per game than the 2010-2011 team.
The twins are the powerplay - so the actual evidence says secondary scoring is not the issue, but the twins on the powerplay is the issue.
Good news is the PP has the second most shots on goal per 60 minutes. The PP goals should eventually come.
Expecting the twins to do all the scoring has been an issue, if you rely on the Sedins to do all the scoring the team will fail every time, as all the opposing team has to do is shut them down and we lose.

Once again, the secondary scoring is scoring at the same level it did when the team led the league in scoring. The Sedins are scoring at the same rate at even strength as they did in 2010-11. Secondary scoring was considered strong that season. I don't understand how it's a problem this season.

The difference in total goals from then and now is all powerplay.

It sounds like your expectations on secondary scoring are skewed.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Larry Goodenough wrote: This year's team is scoring 0.1 goals less per game at even strength than the 2010-2011 Finals team.

This year's team is scoring 65% less powerplay goals per game than the 2010-2011 team.

The twins are the powerplay - so the actual evidence says secondary scoring is not the issue, but the twins on the powerplay is the issue.

Good news is the PP has the second most shots on goal per 60 minutes. The PP goals should eventually come.
NO that is not the evidence, that is butt one statistical interpretation of the evidence.

Raw data is the evidence.

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Topper wrote:Folks are debating Cammy?

A descent into madness.
Agreed. Just goes to show how crippled the market is thanks to league-induced parity. Few sellers, the prices are high, and there's only a couple scorers available in any year.

I'd take a chance on Calamari if he came cheap. But the idea of giving the Flames picks/prospects for a guy that will be with us for a couple months and might give us 10-15 goals is gross.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Count me in the "say no to Cami" camp. While he could conceivably help us produce more goals, and some of those maybe on the PP, overall what he brings is not what we need in relation to the acquisition cost. I am sure there is a money puck formula out there that will explain that perfectly.
The only HW the Canucks need
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Too all ya'll...

:D
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Booth situation getting interesting. Asked to be waived so he can get playing time. Told not yet, trying to trade him but alas no takers without Canucks eating a huge portion of contract, but that may be more palatable cap wise then saving under 1 million if he is waived. Told he may be part of a package ????? But that if he is not dealt he will get another shot in Vancouver before he is waived, has been given an off ice program??
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Xx
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote:Booth situation getting interesting. Asked to be waived so he can get playing time. Told not yet, trying to trade him but alas no takers without Canucks eating a huge portion of contract, but that may be more palatable cap wise then saving under 1 million if he is waived. Told he may be part of a package ????? But that if he is not dealt he will get another shot in Vancouver before he is waived, has been given an off ice program??
Interesting development. I wouldn't eat anything on Booth's deal, TBH. Compliance buy him out this summer and be done with it. Eating money on a $4.25M deal doesn't really make much sense. We need a player coming back, we're not looking for futures. Any player we get back that has any Top-6 offensive ability probably makes $3+M. Keeping $2M of Booth's salary to add a $3M player screws our cap. And I don't think there is any $3M top-6 players available for David Booth. Send him down, save 900K, or better yet, send him home. Let him sit on the couch and get us some space next year when this team can actually compete.

We need help up front. Our top-6 is tragic, with Kesler playing with the Sedins, Booth in the press-box and Burrows completely useless offensively, we don't have a second line.
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by $lacker »

Hockey Widow wrote:Booth situation getting interesting. Asked to be waived so he can get playing time. Told not yet, trying to trade him but alas no takers without Canucks eating a huge portion of contract, but that may be more palatable cap wise then saving under 1 million if he is waived. Told he may be part of a package ????? But that if he is not dealt he will get another shot in Vancouver before he is waived, has been given an off ice program??
Thanks for the update HW - sounds about right.

Trading Booth as part of a package is only going to diminish the trade value of whatever we are sending over, so I'm interested to see what Gillis has up his sleeve.