Are the Canucks an "impact" forward away from being LEGIT?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Are the Canucks an "impact" forward away from being LEGI

Postby Mondi » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:53 pm

Strangelove wrote:
Mondi wrote:No Strangelove. You, like I, know that the Canucks are not capable of acquiring the kind of forward that would turn them into a legitimate contender.


Yes but that wasn't the question. :hmmm:

Mondi wrote:Unless you are suggesting that any of Crosby, Ovechkin, Stamkos, or Toews are realistically available? If which case, I'd suggest you're losing a step, or four.


If the Great Strangelove lost ten steps you still couldn't keep pace with the Great Strangelove. :mex:

Just for the record, you've gone from "No" to "Yes" to "It's not a rational question". Image


Approaching the problem realistically, I have said no all along. For the record.
User avatar
Mondi
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 869
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:02 pm

Re: Are the Canucks an "impact" forward away from being LEGI

Postby Hockey Widow » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:08 pm

If we are a bubble team come deadline day I do not want to act like the flames of past. No way, no how should we be considering being a buyer. We are not one piece away nor are we a contender who just wants to add depth.
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4440
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Are the Canucks an "impact" forward away from being LEGI

Postby sagebrush » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:35 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:If we are a bubble team come deadline day I do not want to act like the flames of past. No way, no how should we be considering being a buyer. We are not one piece away nor are we a contender who just wants to add depth.

In that case, we should be selling - for promising young NHL players, NHL ready players, or cap relief. Not gutting the team, but re-tooling for next year & the year after.

This assumes that building towards a contender is more important than some playoff games this season. Aquaman may not agree.
User avatar
sagebrush
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 819
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:36 pm

Re: Are the Canucks an "impact" forward away from being LEGI

Postby Strangelove » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:31 pm

Mondi wrote:
Strangelove wrote:Just for the record, you've gone from "No" to "Yes" to "It's not a rational question". Image


Approaching the problem realistically, I have said no all along. For the record.


EARTH TO MONDI: Wut da fock has reality got to do, got to do with it! Image

We were in Fantasyland from the moment the thought was first conceived in the OP's head!

I know you want to be the voice of reason?

But yeah no that's just not being realistic bro...
____
Big Dog
User avatar
Strangelove
CC Legend
 
Posts: 7726
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm

Re: Are the Canucks an "impact" forward away from being LEGI

Postby Hockey Widow » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:03 pm

sagebrush wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:If we are a bubble team come deadline day I do not want to act like the flames of past. No way, no how should we be considering being a buyer. We are not one piece away nor are we a contender who just wants to add depth.

In that case, we should be selling - for promising young NHL players, NHL ready players, or cap relief. Not gutting the team, but re-tooling for next year & the year after.

This assumes that building towards a contender is more important than some playoff games this season. Aquaman may not agree.


Don't agree. We can be neither. We can sit with what we have and see how far we go and get some of thee kids in the line up next year. But I would not be opposed to selling one or two pieces for the right return. We don't have yo tank the season to do that.

But so much will depend upon the standings.
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4440
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Are the Canucks an "impact" forward away from being LEGI

Postby sagebrush » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:37 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:
sagebrush wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:If we are a bubble team come deadline day I do not want to act like the flames of past. No way, no how should we be considering being a buyer. We are not one piece away nor are we a contender who just wants to add depth.

In that case, we should be selling - for promising young NHL players, NHL ready players, or cap relief. Not gutting the team, but re-tooling for next year & the year after.

This assumes that building towards a contender is more important than some playoff games this season. Aquaman may not agree.


Don't agree. We can be neither. We can sit with what we have and see how far we go and get some of thee kids in the line up next year. But I would not be opposed to selling one or two pieces for the right return. We don't have yo tank the season to do that.

But so much will depend upon the standings.
Never suggested that we tank, or make massive changes. Trading a core player & a couple support guys at the deadline could improve the team soon - if we find ourselves on the bubble this season.
User avatar
sagebrush
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 819
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:36 pm

Re: Are the Canucks an "impact" forward away from being LEGI

Postby RoyalDude » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:38 pm

5 biggest reasons why we went from cup contender to bubble team in a few short years

1. Loss of Erhoff
2. Booth not panning out
3. No more Ryan Beast Mode Kesler
4. The slow development of Kassian
5. Lack of quality prospects pushing for jobs
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4714
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Are the Canucks an "impact" forward away from being LEGI

Postby Island Nucklehead » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:19 pm

RoyalDude wrote:5 biggest reasons why we went from cup contender to bubble team in a few short years

1. Loss of Erhoff
2. Booth not panning out
3. No more Ryan Beast Mode Kesler
4. The slow development of Kassian
5. Lack of quality prospects pushing for jobs


1. Agree.
2. Agree.
3. Agree.
4. Nope. Kassian always was a project. He's never been counted on to produce. The Canucks have been, and will continue to be, patient. Him not turning into a 25 goal guy immediately hasn't hurt us tremendously (although it would help, he's not been a massive disappointment).
5. Agreed.


I would replace Kassian with the loss of our Centre depth. Once Manny took that puck to the eye it was all downhill. Injuries to Kesler and the Hodgson trade only made things worse. We went from 1st in the league in faceoffs 2010-11, to 3rd in 11/12, to 25th in 12/13, and we're sitting at 12th this season. For a puck possession team, losing a lot of draws is not a good sign.
User avatar
Island Nucklehead
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4336
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm

Re: Are the Canucks an "impact" forward away from being LEGI

Postby herb » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:27 pm

RoyalDude wrote:5 biggest reasons why we went from cup contender to bubble team in a few short years

1. Loss of Erhoff
2. Booth not panning out
3. No more Ryan Beast Mode Kesler
4. The slow development of Kassian
5. Lack of quality prospects pushing for jobs


Agreed.

Hopefully numbers four and five pick up over the next year or so. The other three are more permanent downgrades.

If things aren't going so hot towards the trade deadline, I would like to see some trades that bolster our stable of 20ish year old prospects who should be pushing for jobs next year.
User avatar
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2366
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:17 pm
Location: Mars

Re: Are the Canucks an "impact" forward away from being LEGI

Postby SKYO » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:38 pm

I've changed my mind now, I think we should try to plan to sign Vanek in the offseason, if not then try to trade for him at the deadline.

He can pretty much be the entire 2nd line offense. :thumbs:
:rockin:
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3643
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Are the Canucks an "impact" forward away from being LEGI

Postby Lancer » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:24 am

I don't want to start thinking about the offseason before Christmas, but it's getting harder not to do so.

If the Canucks don't make the playoffs - and it's a scarily realistic possibility - does Gillis get a chance to right the ship in the offseason with the knowledge that the cap will go up, the prized prospects might be more ready and some free agents to sign?

*season still salvageable....* :|
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
User avatar
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1373
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:41 am
Location: Arnprior, Ontario

Re: Are the Canucks an "impact" forward away from being LEGI

Postby Hockey Widow » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:52 am

Lancer wrote:I don't want to start thinking about the offseason before Christmas, but it's getting harder not to do so.

If the Canucks don't make the playoffs - and it's a scarily realistic possibility - does Gillis get a chance to right the ship in the offseason with the knowledge that the cap will go up, the prized prospects might be more ready and some free agents to sign?

*season still salvageable....* :|



Is there an Italian out there to be a GM? :mrgreen:

I think if we miss the playoffs in an embarrassingly easy fashion MG could be toast. But if we play the way we are, close in most games, he might get himself one more year.
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4440
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Are the Canucks an "impact" forward away from being LEGI

Postby mathonwy » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:14 pm

I think.... I agree that the Canucks are an impact forward away from being legit.

The problem of course is you need to give a lot to get a lot back.

What I would like to see GMMG go out and get is a legitimate 2nd line center. The Sedin Sedin Kesler experiment this year has shown me that Kesler is better used as a trigger man than a set up man. Where we get into trouble is when Torts starts juggling the lines and Kesler gets confused on whether hes a set up man or a trigger man.

Getting a legitimate 2nd line center gives us two main things. It allows Kesler to remain a winger and it gives us a legit 2nd power play group.

Ok. So who do we go out and get. More importantly, who is in the position to give up a top 6 center?

Dirty Jersey - Patrick Elias, 6'1, 190, age 37, 5.5M till 2015/16, NMC
- Old
- Worse contract than Booth's
- Underperforming on a shitty team (15gp, 4g, 7a)
- Unlike Sundin, still playing and I can see him being rejuvenated being on a much better team

Motown - Stephen Weiss, 5'11, 190, age 30, 4.9M till 2017/18, NMC, limited NTC
- **Concussion Risk**
- Horrible contract (based on current production)
- Severely underperforming for Detroit. (18gp, 2g, 1a)
- Extremely risky but we still have a compliance buy out.

Cowtown - Michael Cammelleri, 5'9, 180, age 30, last year at 6M, limited NTC
- I say no. Too small and a UFA next year.

The Peg - Olli Jokinen, 6'2, 210, age 34, last year at 4.5M, modified NTC
- Jokinen might not too bad and may not cost us all that much. We need size down the middle and he's that. He's shown in the past that he's has skills and it won't cost us both Sedins. :mrgreen:

Carolina - Tuomo Ruutu, 6'0, 205, age 30, 4.75 till 2015/16, NMC
- He's a risk but according to SBNation, he's on the trade market. Could be the perfect swap for Booth.
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sbn ... block.html

Philly - Sean Couturier, 6'3, 197, age 20, 1.75 till 2015/16, entry level contract
- One can dream right?
User avatar
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2103
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:53 pm

Re: Are the Canucks an "impact" forward away from being LEGI

Postby RyanGinger » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:35 pm

Would you guys like Legwand as our 2C if he was feeding Kesler and Burr? Or would you rather have Santorelli in between them?
22-33-17
User avatar
RyanGinger
CC Veteran
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:20 pm

Re: Are the Canucks an "impact" forward away from being LEGI

Postby mathonwy » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:43 pm

RyanGinger wrote:Would you guys like Legwand as our 2C if he was feeding Kesler and Burr? Or would you rather have Santorelli in between them?

Legwand is one of the very few forwards that is actually producing for Nashville.

No way they let him go.
User avatar
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2103
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:53 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: NzVanFan, Reefer2, Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest