Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Okcanuck - Canucks are 6 points out of a playoff spot, Phoenix and Colorado have games in hand. Dallas and Nashville are 2 points behind us. Dallas has 2 games in, Nashville has 1. But I'm not worried, my glass is half full thanks to you.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Most years we don't turn it around till Christmas anyways....
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

rats19 wrote:Most years we don't turn it around till Christmas anyways....
All we need is Gillis to right the ship with a few trades, he had his coaching change and a lot of time for the core to get healed with their various injuries, but he has yet to fix the glaring holes on this team everyone seems to know except him.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

SKYO wrote:
All we need is Gillis to right the ship with a few trades.
Or for the team to ride out this slump...

Two weeks ago most people were ranting and raving about how Torts had this team playing after the seven game roadie and smoking the leaves.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

herb wrote:
SKYO wrote:
All we need is Gillis to right the ship with a few trades.
Or for the team to ride out this slump...

Two weeks ago most people were ranting and raving about how Torts had this team playing after the seven game roadie and smoking the leaves.
It's been apparent though even since the cup run that the twins need secondary scoring assistance, for which MG has never helped with much with trades/signings.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

SKYO wrote:It's been apparent though even since the cup run that the twins need secondary scoring assistance, for which MG has never helped with much with trades/signings.
I'm willing to ride out the current incarnation of the team until mid-January or so. If by then the team still doesn't look right, then I'll be on board with taking a hard look at what we truly have. I most definitely will not be on board with trading any of our top four or five prospects for help this season. I fear a changing of the guard may need to happen sooner rather than later.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

herb wrote:
SKYO wrote:It's been apparent though even since the cup run that the twins need secondary scoring assistance, for which MG has never helped with much with trades/signings.
I'm willing to ride out the current incarnation of the team until mid-January or so. If by then the team still doesn't look right, then I'll be on board with taking a hard look at what we truly have. I most definitely will not be on board with trading any of our top four or five prospects for help this season. I fear a changing of the guard may need to happen sooner rather than later.

See I don't think it is a changing of the guard, by which I mean the twins, as it is a changing of the core, by whom I mean the likes Burrows, Kesler, Bieksa , Edler. Now I don't mean all of them just a couple of those pieces can get us decent returns and a new mix in the core.
The only HW the Canucks need
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Hockey Widow wrote:See I don't think it is a changing of the guard, by which I mean the twins, as it is a changing of the core, by whom I mean the likes Burrows, Kesler, Bieksa , Edler. Now I don't mean all of them just a couple of those pieces can get us decent returns and a new mix in the core.
I agree. I meant that if some of those core guys are moved by season's end, we should be looking from within (Horvat, etc.) for replacement rather than looking for veteran replacements.

The changing of the guard I am referring to is beginning the transition from Hank/Kes/Juice/Luongo to whatever comes next (Horvat/Shinkaruk/Corrado/Lack, etc.).

I don't mean that this transition should or will be abrupt. Rather, if the team stinks come game 60, I would like management to look forward to our guys in Junior than try to supplement what we have with veteran pieces.
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

SKYO wrote:
It's been apparent though even since the cup run that the twins need secondary scoring assistance, for which MG has never helped with much with trades/signings.

This year's team is scoring 0.1 goals less per game at even strength than the 2010-2011 Finals team.

This year's team is scoring 65% less powerplay goals per game than the 2010-2011 team.

The twins are the powerplay - so the actual evidence says secondary scoring is not the issue, but the twins on the powerplay is the issue.

Good news is the PP has the second most shots on goal per 60 minutes. The PP goals should eventually come.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Larry Goodenough wrote:
SKYO wrote:
This year's team is scoring 0.1 goals less per game at even strength than the 2010-2011 Finals team.
This year's team is scoring 65% less powerplay goals per game than the 2010-2011 team.
The twins are the powerplay - so the actual evidence says secondary scoring is not the issue, but the twins on the powerplay is the issue.
Good news is the PP has the second most shots on goal per 60 minutes. The PP goals should eventually come.
Expecting the twins to do all the scoring has been an issue, if you rely on the Sedins to do all the scoring the team will fail every time, as all the opposing team has to do is shut them down and we lose.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

This team needs a helluva lot more than Mike '5 foot 9' Camalleri to make an impact in the playoffs. A BIG WASTE OF TIME. Another Derek '5 foot 9' Roy rental gone stupidly wrong.

The Trade Deadline is the biggest waste of time. You build your teams at the draft and July 1st UFA season, plain and simple. The only winners at the Deadline are the sellers. If we are sellers, YES! By all means. Tired of giving up 2nd round picks, prospects for Roy types or two 4th rounders for Pahlsson types. We all saw the great impact those two had on this team. Even if Camalleri is slightly better than those two, it won't be enough. So why bother, why keep chipping away at our futures. We all see just how wonderful are farm team is right now, real stacked with good young prospects LMAO. The big reason we are in this position is that we haven't had any good young players step up to the plate and make significant contributions other than Tanev in Gillis 6 years as a GM, that's an atrocious stat. It's a league now where it's impossible to make trades. You build your teams at the draft and in the UFA market. During the season if you are struggling, you are fucked. It's a league where you can't re-tool on the fly.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RD, Gillis is truly the bane of your existence. :drink:

You are going to lose your mind my friend. Image

Embrace the ideals of deadline acquisitions and shutdown hockey before it's too late!

*lights cigar with second round pick* :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

So I need to accept the moron that he is? "The Process" "The Process". That's all he says - "The Process"

WHAT PROCESS?

I don't think he knows. He can't!

I'm gonna use that saying to explain fuck ups "It's all part of the process, police officer. Can I be excused now?"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

You need to learn to relax and enjoy the process my friend.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote:
herb wrote:

See I don't think it is a changing of the guard, by which I mean the twins, as it is a changing of the core, by whom I mean the likes Burrows, Kesler, Bieksa , Edler. Now I don't mean all of them just a couple of those pieces can get us decent returns and a new mix in the core.
I would be surprised if more than one of those guys was willing to waive his NTC.

By letting Vigneault coach his system that had the inmates running the asylum for as long as he did, and then handing out NTC's to players who had proven that they needed to be held accountable by someone other than themselves and their fellow players, Gillis allowed a country club atmosphere to be created. These guys all have it made in the shade playing a game with their buddies while living in one of the most desirable cities in the world.....and now most of them have families to consider, families who like Vancouver.

I still maintain that Edler is the centerpiece in a trade that addresses our need for a true top six scorer. I also think that Booth and a guy like Schroeder or some other second tier prospect could be used to add a blueliner to offset the loss of Edler. I know I've said it before, but if Buffalo is ready to blow it up and start a rebuild around some of their young guys, then they might be willing to send Ehrhoff back our way in exchange for a fast skating forward who is willing to crash the net and another young skater. Saber's new management might not like Ehrhoff's term, and taking back a similar cap hit on a much shorter contract might be enticing.

Anyways.....redundancy in my part....