Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Trades and rumours 2013-14

Post by The Brown Knight »

If these Shea Weber trade rumours are true, then I wonder if the Canucks put up a competitve bid.

http://hockeytraderumors.com/preds-trad ... urprise-2/.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

The Brown Knight wrote:If these Shea Weber trade rumours are true, then I wonder if the Canucks put up a competitve bid.

http://hockeytraderumors.com/preds-trad ... urprise-2/.
Don't think this is a rumour so much as a blogger's bright idea. Unless such a move is bart of a bigger process of trading off defensive depth for offensive forward help, I can't see the logic of such a move.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

dbr wrote:
Strangelove wrote:Well I must say I completely disagree with you Dave

... both on the value of the Schenn Brothers and the value in dumping the Booth contract.
Well I guess to shift the equation around a bit.. I'd say that Booth is about as valuable a contributor as Luke Schenn at this point (neither can stay in the lineup on teams that need them badly) and in a deal where Booth leaves and Luke arrives he would instantly be the leading candidate for our remaining compliance buy out - unless he turned his game around in a big way, but given his game has been heading in the same direction for a few years now I wouldn't bet on it.

Given those two players more or less cancel one another out, and that Alex Edler is clearly a more effective player than Brayden Schenn in the here and now.. that's how I arrive at this not being a great deal for the Canucks.

Granted, I guess you can say that Schenn's future potential makes him as valuable as a currently superior player. And granted, the value in dumping Booth's contract is significant (when it's not in exchange for a different leading buyout candidate).
Wow Dave, looks like you're swallowing some of the "Luke Schenn Sucks" bullshit floating around out there!

It sprung from the COTU (centre of the universe). :hmmm:

It started with all the ridiculous hype/expectations placed on an 18-year-old thrust into the NHL way too soon.

And continued with frustrated Leafers looking for a scapegoat.

Post-trade, said Leafers then used their powerful propaganda machine to further discredit the young lad.

True he's having a bad season thus far, but don't forget he led the Flyers in icetime last year.

It may seem like he's been around for a long time but he's actually 48 days younger than Chris Tanev.

Meaning he's a likely candidate to improve going forward...

Hits like a mac truck with a licence to kill, loves to drop the gloves and stick up for teammates.

Did you really just compare him to Booth the Bible Thumper? :wow:

Luke has missed a total of 7 games over the last 3 seasons (1 due to the flu, 6 - I believe - to benchings).

David has missed 66 games (one for every book of the bible) over the same time frame.

In short, Luke has significant value, David has negative value.

Luke is also 4 years younger than David.

And a just-turned-22 Brayden Schenn is worth TWO 27-year-old Edlers in my somewhat biased books. :wink:

But I think we agreed Edler is unlikely to waive for Philly so....
____
Try to focus on someday.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

FLAMES SEND F JACKMAN TO DUCKS FOR SIXTH-ROUND DRAFT PICK

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=437180

As if the Ducks weren't hard enough to play against, they now add Tim Fucking Jackman for next to nothing.

Ryan Getzlaf - 6'4, 221, age 28
Corey Perry - 6'3, 210, age 28
Dustin Penner - 6'5, 245, age 31
Tim Jackman - 6'4, 225, age 32

On the plus side, Jackman's ATOI is 6:23 and has been a healthy scratch for 12 out of 22 games this year.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Doc, fair enough. Although it's dirty pool to chalk my views on Schenn up to the COTU. :scowl:

He may only be 22 and there may be lots of people willing to buy low on a kid with a few years of "yeah but he was drafted 5th overall" left, but watching him fail to grab a role on the Flyers abysmal blueline has been pretty telling.

Who knows, I guess maybe the right coach, the right system, the right team, the right partner might be what it takes for his career to take off again. In which case he'd clearly be worth a hell of a lot more than Booth but right now all that matters to me is that he'd be our worst contract if we acquired him and dumped Booth. In my ( :crazy: ) opinion.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Yes, dirty pool Dave.

But you know my philosophy good buddy.

“All’s fair in love and message-boarding”. :wink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

SL could sell ice to eskimos jk

I'm sold!

I know fuckall about Philly's defense, but just based on capgeeks current contracts:

Timonen Streit
Coburn Schenn
Meszaros Grossmann
Gustafsson Gill
Bourdon

With Timonen and Mez's contracts about to expire after this season, I'd sure AF would love Edler on this mediocre defense, he'd be the top dog there ha.

And it's not like Philadelphia is shitty town to live and play in, it's a major city with a team that could turn it around quickly if they started fixing up their defense and goaltending, trading for Edler would be a step in the right direction.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The trade I would like to see Gillis do is trade for Cole Cassels Oshawa team-mate/line-mate - Scott Laughton. The kid is a scoring machine, former 1st round pick. He has like 18 goals in 21 games right now. Philadelphia needs Defense and has a shit load of young forwards to justify trading Laughton.

These are the kinds of trades I want to see Gillis make. Fuck these useless 30 year old rental players, they never work. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ, waste of fucking time.

the Future

Jensen/Horvat/Shink
Kassian/Cassels/Laughton
Gaunce/Schroeder
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Funny how as the teams goes...so does the majority of the perception of RD's rants errr suggestions and how they are accepted or ridiculed.

RD is much like a GM..
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

rats19 wrote:Funny how as the teams goes...so does the majority of the perception of RD's rants errr suggestions and how they are accepted or ridiculed.

RD is much like a GM..
Never said I was perfect, I'm merely a hockey fan with an opinion, but hey I'm not paid the big, BIG, BIG bucks to make the right decisions for the good of a professional NHL hockey team, so my opinions should be taken with a grain of salt in which I assume they are, if not, well whoever you are, you've got issues.

I am sorry that I don't tow the company line when I don't see managerial decisions that go horribly wrong for the Canucks.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

I like Blob's idea from a week or so ago in regards to Evander Kane. Can't remember the exact package he proposed, but it was something to the effect of Kassian, Tanev, and ??? (I can't remember......Hansen?).

I'd do that in a heartbeat.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

rats19 wrote:...
RD is much like a GM..
Ouch!

A healthy dose of skepticism is good.
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vpete »

The Brown Knight wrote:I like Blob's idea from a week or so ago in regards to Evander Kane. Can't remember the exact package he proposed, but it was something to the effect of Kassian, Tanev, and ??? (I can't remember......Hansen?).

I'd do that in a heartbeat.
Take Kane sure but do the Jets need Tanev? To take Kane Vancouver has to give up salary and the Jets have to want the salary back- Kassian and Burrows plus a pick
Brick Top: Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Rightly or wrongly Kane is getting a reputation in Winterpeg as not very coachable. I'd still like to land him though.
The only HW the Canucks need
Knucklehead
CC Veteran

Post by Knucklehead »

dbr wrote:Doc, fair enough. Although it's dirty pool to chalk my views on Schenn up to the COTU. :scowl:

He may only be 22 and there may be lots of people willing to buy low on a kid with a few years of "yeah but he was drafted 5th overall" left, but watching him fail to grab a role on the Flyers abysmal blueline has been pretty telling.

Who knows, I guess maybe the right coach, the right system, the right team, the right partner might be what it takes for his career to take off again. In which case he'd clearly be worth a hell of a lot more than Booth but right now all that matters to me is that he'd be our worst contract if we acquired him and dumped Booth. In my ( :crazy: ) opinion.
Call me crazy but maybe we can reaquire Barker (?) was it who was drafted 3rd overall and flip him for Schenn, but since Schenn was only drafted 5th overall perhaps Philly would throw in a 2nd to even it out.

Draft position should mean sweet fuck all after the drafted player has shown what he can or cannot do in the pros. I don't think I would trade Frankie for Luke right now.