Are the Canucks an "impact" forward away from being LEGIT?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Are the Canucks an "impact" forward away from being LEGI

Post by Chef Boi RD »

ClamRussel wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:
ClamRussel wrote: Face it, we're in the problem we're in because Gillis blew it on the goalie front. Landing a decent 1st round pick was great....but it should have come w/ a top 9 forward as well. Even if he had to throw a little something back the other way. Bottom line is, Gillis just solved New Jersey's problem w/ Brodeur's inevitable retirement. The price should have been more. Adam Henrique + 1st would have been fair. Goalies like Cory Schneider don't grow on trees. You could see the look on Lamoriello's face at the draft; he couldn't believe he pulled it off and was trying to look cool about it. Horvat's an awesome prospect but there is certainly a gap on our forward lines thats been there since Manny took that puck to the eye.
LOL @ the Devils adding Henrique in a package for a goalie with 100 games over 4 years. Sure why don't they throw in Jon Merril and Damon Severson too. Schneider got back market value yet you think Sweet Lou was ripe to be raped. Fucking hilarious.
Only a goalie with some of the best numbers over those games. Only 21 losses in 3 years, a stellar save % and a shutout every 10 games. If it wasn't for the salary cap going down he would never have hit the market. You're out to lunch.
Nevermind Art, Clam..., he's an idiot.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
More realistically, I think the Nucks are hoping that our core players will not decline in play too much and hope that some of our prospects like Boho/Shinkaruk/Gaunce/Jensen can step in in the next year or 2 and be very good players right away who will complement our aging star players. Not sure if we have the horses to be a legit contender this season, but if we're lucky we'll have a very strong team in a couple years and make a serious push then.
Pretty much. Hold the fort for some playoff money while you can, and build for a run. Welcome to parity and a deflated cap. Once the cap goes up again, we'll see less parity, where teams like Florida and Edmonton can't keep up with the Canucks, and we can buy our way to a few more wins.
RoyalDude wrote:We don't need anybody, all we need to do is flip the switch.

Anybody know when that's going to happen?
When you swap to full-time Oiler fan.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Island Nucklehead wrote:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :drink: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :drink: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Gonna hang in with the Canucks a while longer? Good to hear, man! Edmonton is now dead-last in the League and YOUR Canucks are sitting in 11th. We're not as good as we once were... but surely we don't need three 1st overall's to figure it out!
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Yet another NHL13 thread
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
CorranHorn
CC Veteran

Post by CorranHorn »

you old man, it's 14 now.
Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

I really don't think we need to trade any young assets for a top six winger. IMO they should stay the course and hope that we get some more production from the group we have.

As much success as they have had, Kesler and the Sedins should be split up eventually. We are overplaying them as is and I believe they cant make the season going at this rate. If Torts has such a huge boner to play Kesler on the wing he should drop him down and play him with Santorelli and (insert LW). This would instantly open up a huge window to spread talent among the top three lines.

With a healthy lineup, and some production from the 2nd and 3rd lines, we should be just fine. We need FINISH from guys like Burrows, Kassian, Booth, and Hansen (when he returns). One goal per game from anyone not named Sedin, Kesler, Santorelli or Higgins would go a long, long way to helping this team win EVERY night.

If I were in charge, I would wait for Hansen's return, give Torts and co. some games to evaluate and try different things, then maybe consider making a move.

What I don't want to see at this time is "selling the farm." There will always be a more stupid/desperate team ( see EDM/CAL/Schneider Draft 2013) and we don't want to get in a bidding war for one player.
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vader »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Yes they are a thirty goal guy who plays with testicles dangling between his legs away from being a contender . What do they have to get said player ?
Chris Stewart would appear to be in the doghouse in St. Louis again - playing just 13Mins per game.

Don't know if that means he would be available, and really can't see what Gillis could offer to entice St. Louis to let him go, but he would fit the mold of what Gillis should want.

If St.Louis is about freeing up cap space would Kassian + good prospect (Shinkaruk? Gaunce?) get this done?
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Evander Kane will cost Kassian + Hansen + Tanev. You willing to do that trade ?
Absolutely.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

It amazes me how many still dream up trades involving the bottom 6 rotation. IF THIS TEAM PLANS ON BEING A IN THE STANLEY CUP MIX THIS TEAM NEEDS TOP 6 TALENT. It's pretty fucking pointless otherwise - the constant Gillis tickerings of the bottom 6. He still, in his 6 years has yet to add a significant player to the top 6, still riding on previous mgmt's top 6 talent, and so because of that, our scoring prowess dwindles each and every year, but hey, keep making those pointless bottom 6 Matthias type trades.

To get top 6 young talent like Evander Kane, you got to give up something. Every prospect on my list, except Horvat is available (Gaunce, Corrado, Shinkaruk, Cassels, Jensen, Schroeder), the 2014 1st pick is available, as well as bottom 3rd pairing d-man - Tanev and bottom 6 players Hansen and Kassian. I think a package involving any of that could and should land us young top 6 talent like Kane. But we all know, Bold Moves Gillis will not boldly go where Mike has never gone before.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

RoyalDude wrote:It amazes me how many still dream up trades involving the bottom 6 rotation. IF THIS TEAM PLANS ON BEING A IN THE STANLEY CUP MIX THIS TEAM NEEDS TOP 6 TALENT. It's pretty fucking pointless otherwise - the constant Gillis tickerings of the bottom 6. He still, in his 6 years has yet to add a significant player to the top 6, still riding on previous mgmt's top 6 talent, and so because of that, our scoring prowess dwindles each and every year, but hey, keep making those pointless bottom 6 Matthias type trades.

To get top 6 young talent like Evander Kane, you got to give up something. Every prospect on my list, except Horvat is available (Gaunce, Corrado, Shinkaruk, Cassels, Jensen, Schroeder), the 2014 1st pick is available, as well as bottom 3rd pairing d-man - Tanev and bottom 6 players Hansen and Kassian. I think a package involving any of that could and should land us young top 6 talent like Kane. But we all know, Bold Moves Gillis will not boldly go where Mike has never gone before.
Almost fully agree with the above, but I'm not sure I make Shinkaruk available for Kane.

For me, Horvat and Shinkaruk are untouchables.........unless a guy like Claude Giroux actually is available (and again, there are conflicting reports here).

But yes - other than that, I pretty much agree you. For Evander Kane, I'd give up pretty much any prospect and/or first rounder outside of Horvat and Shinkaruk.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
Art Vandelay
CC Veteran

Post by Art Vandelay »

RoyalDude wrote:
ClamRussel wrote: Only a goalie with some of the best numbers over those games. Only 21 losses in 3 years, a stellar save % and a shutout every 10 games. If it wasn't for the salary cap going down he would never have hit the market. You're out to lunch.
If I'm an idiot you two are crackheads. The fact you think the Devils were going to hand over their best forward who is 23 and a top ten pick for a guy who has NEVER played 40 games in an NHL season is fucking asinine.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Clam's chowder

The only question is, tomato based or cream based?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Art Vandelay wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
ClamRussel wrote: Only a goalie with some of the best numbers over those games. Only 21 losses in 3 years, a stellar save % and a shutout every 10 games. If it wasn't for the salary cap going down he would never have hit the market. You're out to lunch.
If I'm an idiot you two are crackheads. The fact you think the Devils were going to hand over their best forward who is 23 and a top ten pick for a guy who has NEVER played 40 games in an NHL season is fucking asinine.
At least we are getting high, albeit, kind of an evil drug that we have a little problem with, but you are, well...an idiot.
RyanGinger
CC Veteran

Post by RyanGinger »

RyanGinger wrote: Trade 2a (2LW)
-> To VAN: Evander Kane - From Van, big, young, gritty, goal-scorer, not happy in WPG
-> To WPG: Edler/Hamhuis, Higgins/Hansen, Booth (retain 25% for cap compliance, if WPG even wants him), Jensen, 2nd, 3rd
For some reason that trade doesn't work capwise anymore on Capgeek even though it did pretty recently. :hmmm: Starting to think Kane isn't our guy. Going for Simmonds seems more realistic.
22-33-17