Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by rats19 »

On pace for 109pts...no too shabby
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

vic wrote:
Reefer2 wrote:BUT - when the Nucks won the presidents trophy we need to realize it was based upon playing some real crappy divisional teams. The points were hiding the warts which always came to light when the games went to the next level.

Not diminishing the fact they did win the presidents trophy.
Further to what TBK stated...here are some other tidbits from 2010/11 and 2011/12

2010/11
Canucks finish with 117 points and an 18-4-2 record against the NW good for 38 divisional points
- The Wild picked up 33 (-5) divisional points, but ended up with 86 points overall (-31)
- The Flyers picked up 37 (-1) divisional points, but ended up with 106 points overall (-11)

2011/12
Canucks finish with 111 points and an 18-5-1 record against the NW good for 37 divisional points
- The Flames picked up 33 (-4) divisional points, but ended up with 90 points overall (-21)
- The Bruins picked up 39 (+1) divisional points, but ended up with 102 points overall (-9)
- The Blackhawks picked up 34 (-3) divisional points, but ended up with 101 points overall (-10)

So, sure the team racked up a lot of points within their division, but so did other teams. The point is that those teams didn't pick up as much points against teams outside of their division as the Canucks did. There were other teams with basically very similar records to the Canucks within the NW, but outside of the division they were not even close.
Vic comes in and ...

Just face it Reef the Canucks had great chemistry and health in the lineup in those president trophy seasons, only prob imo was Ryan Kesler was the only uber 2nd line player with him carrying Ray/Sammy etc along for the ride.
That Torres - Malhotra - Hansen line was probably our best third line in Canuck history.
Edler - Ehrhoff helped ignite a fluid offensive from the back, with Salo being the stabilizing factor.

The two playoffs after the cup though we lost 2/3rds of that awesome 3rd line for which was never replicated, Daniel and Kesler got injured and are now just getting back into form finally in the 2013/14 season.

And our defense is forming nicely into a good cohesive group once again.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Booth has been recalled and Archibald has been re-assigned to Utica.

In eight games with the Canucks, I thought Archibald acquitted himself quite well.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

All we can do is hope Booth comes back with a vengeance!
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Hopefully he can get on a roll and get some confidence going.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Lets hope he can stay healthy.

Then lets hope he can start contributing based upon his cap hit.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

they've recalled him too soon. Should have left him in Utica for the full 2 weeks
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

dangler wrote:they've recalled him too soon. Should have left him in Utica for the full 2 weeks
I agree. Archie deserved another game or two.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Archibald played a steady fourth liner's game but showed that his skating really does need work. He was too slow at getting to too many puck battles. If Booth is ready he'll bring far more to the line up than Archibald.

What surprised/dismayed/disappointed me most about Archibald's stint was his inability to find someone willing to fight.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

dangler wrote:they've recalled him too soon. Should have left him in Utica for the full 2 weeks
Recalling him now gives him two full practice days before Thursdays game. Seeing where he fits and how the lines will look is important any time if the years I I think it is smart to get him back now.
The only HW the Canucks need
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Yeah, I agree bringing Booth back now is the right call. The upcoming home stand is big for the Canucks, who will need all hands on deck.

Archibald is a step too slow right now. His hits were all late and he never seemed to be first into the corners. I was also looking forward to seeing him scrap. That being said, there are some positives that came out of his first few NHL games. If nothing else, he is able to put some pressure on Sestito and Weise to play well or get the hell out of the way.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Recalling him now gives him two full practice days before Thursdays game. Seeing where he fits and how the lines will look is important any time if the years I I think it is smart to get him back now.
Plus Torts didn't like how the team played vs LA and the Ducks so he probably felt the team needed a bit of change on the roster.

iirc Booth and Kassian played half decent on the same line before.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

herb wrote:Booth has been recalled and Archibald has been re-assigned to Utica.

In eight games with the Canucks, I thought Archibald acquitted himself quite well.
Hallelujah praise sweet jesus..we are saved! :D
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

SKYO wrote:All we can do is hope Booth comes back with a vengeance!
Yeah, except David Booth likely subscribes to the scripture "Vengeance is mine saith the Lord".

After a trip to Utica however it is also likely he comes back and plays "like a man possessed". Image
____
Try to focus on someday.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Hockey Widow wrote:Recalling him now gives him two full practice days before Thursdays game. Seeing where he fits and how the lines will look is important any time if the years I I think it is smart to get him back now.
herb wrote:Yeah, I agree bringing Booth back now is the right call. The upcoming home stand is big for the Canucks, who will need all hands on deck.
Yeah, I guess the timing is right..hopefully he's got it together cause I don't think Torts will watch him flounder very long before he staples his ass to the bench