Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Trades and rumours 2013-14

Post by tantalum »

Eberle would be in Torts doghouse within a week for his poor work along the boards and in the defensive zone. Just not high on eberle. Think he's a complimentary second liner on a good team making first line money.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Brayden Schenn would be a better option to target rather than Giroux and Eberle, more attainable, LW/C, scrappy scorer.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Are you folks suggesting trades for the sake of trading? Just because Tallon and Holmgren are in a bind, you need to look at the Vancouver roster in the coming years.

Finally some Gillis draft picks will be emerging onto the roster, of the coming RFA's at season's end, Tanev and Kassian are keepers. Reality is that Santorelli may be playing himself into a raise and off the team to make room for a kid now in Junior.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Topper wrote:"The Northern Lights have seen queer sights,
But the queerest they ever did see "
At least Ilya won't be yearning for Plumtree, down in Tennessee..
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

SKYO wrote:Brayden Schenn would be a better option to target rather than Giroux and Eberle, more attainable, LW/C, scrappy scorer.
If we're dreaming about prying a player from the Flyers, I choose Voracek. Big, fast, young, & a sniper. Almost a ppg player in the short 2013 season (0.96), & improving (0.63 in the 11/12 season), but suffering the Flyer malaise this year. Contracted 4 yrs @ 4.25M$.
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Augh, Mëds, I just can't disagree more with some of your assessments in this thread.

Eberle is a kid the Oilers should have tried to flip that year he shot almost 20% all season long and potted 30+ goals because he's never going to do that again - of course if they did try to do that they probably would have been hard-pressed to find an NHL GM dumb enough to buy high on him (other than themselves of course given they rushed to sign him to a long term extension at 30+ goal money).

Still if they could flip a player like Eberle for a player like Couturier that team would be vastly better off. A center with size and an ability to at least break even in tough matchups is exactly what their forward group needs.

As for Giroux, he's right on the edge of that world class calibre where you rightly expect him to produce basically every night in any situation. Not there, but the fact is guys of his calibre are $7-8m players now.

Anyway. On the subject of the Canucks I don't think there's a deal to be made for any of the players mentioned or probably anyone else. We have little or no cap space (a big $1.3m of LTIR exemption for Hansen?), I think we are at 49 contracts for the year, the cupboards are still pretty bare so I doubt we move a high pick unless the deal is just right - I just don't see much movement this year.

Maybe we move Steven Anthony and a third round pick for a journeyman center at the deadline. Maybe we pick up a player to help out in Utica, because our organizational depth will take a hit when one of our prospects throws himself into Oneida lake rather than having to suit up for one more game for this awful Comets team.

Other than that I just don't see a situation where anything adds up to the right cap situation and trade value to actually go out and acquire a real contributor - unless the team decides it's time to cut bait on Schroeder or Jensen.
RyanGinger
CC Veteran

Post by RyanGinger »

Topper wrote: Reality is that Santorelli may be playing himself into a raise and off the team to make room for a kid now in Junior.
God I hope not. Santo has been playing great for us. Honestly though, I don't think he'll be greedy at all - seems like a really nice guy. Pretty sure that he just loves to play for van and won't worry too much about his pay.
22-33-17
Art Vandelay
CC Veteran

Post by Art Vandelay »

Topper wrote: Reality is that Santorelli may be playing himself into a raise and off the team to make room for a kid now in Junior.
Whose reality is this ? Is it because the Canucks are flush with great NHL centres on their roster ? Is it because he is a greedy prick that will want a 600% raise for a decent season ? Horvat and Gaunce don't seem close to being ready.

Torts seems to like 17 on the wall. I can't disagree he looks like a different player with the twins. That leaves Santorelli , Richardson , a dwarf and Welsh as the center depth. Santorelli will be back .
RyanGinger
CC Veteran

Post by RyanGinger »

Just a random question, who do you guys think is a better player when healthy: Higgins or Hansen?
Last edited by RyanGinger on Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
22-33-17
Art Vandelay
CC Veteran

Post by Art Vandelay »

RyanGinger wrote:Just a random question, who would you guys rather have on van when healthy: Higgins or Hansen?
Seeing as they both will be on the roster its kind of a dumb question.
Art Vandelay
CC Veteran

Post by Art Vandelay »

Mëds wrote:
Vader wrote: Getzlaf was pointless 14 times in 44 games
Hall 15 times in 45 games
Kessel 17 times
Datsyuk 20 times
Kunitz 15 times
Ribeiro 18 times

All these guys scored in the same range as Giroux. Do you not like any of these guys as well?

If you're going to throw out a statistic to support a premise, at least research it first :hmmm:
I don't like Ribeiro. Wouldn't want him on my team at all for any money.

Kunitz is nothing without Crosby. He's a second line winger at best if not playing with one of the top 5 centers in the league.

Datsyuk surprised me on that list. But he is so good defensively that you can overlook a poor season. His 18 points in 17 games make for a nice bounce back don't ya think?

Not a fan of Kessel. He's a good goal scorer, but yes, I do think he's a bit streaky at times. Everyone slumps, but he seems to hit dry spells a bit too often for a guy who is getting $8M.

Getzlaf is an enigma for me. At times I think he's overrated, and other times in think he's truly underrated. But I do think that Getzlaf is another guy who puts up his points in bunches at times.

I've said the same about the Sedins in the past too.

Regardless, all of those guys, well not Ribeiro, are having bounce back years so far.

Giroux is on a shit team right now, but on paper that team isn't as shitty as they are on the ice.....just look st their roster. I didn't expect the Flyers to be world beaters this year, but did anyone think they would be in the cellar with a 4-10-1 record and a -20 goal differential? I'm not hanging this all on Giroux, but he's got the worst plus/minus on the team, and is scoring at almost a 3rd line pace. He's not leading his team, Lecavalier has the same number of points while playing 4 fewer games.
You gain no credibility with posts like this. I would be willing to debate things with you but you need to get a grip on reality. Almost every player in the NHL is streaky and scores in bunches.
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vader »

Art Vandelay wrote: Santorelli will be back .
If Santorelli can keep up this pace (and that's a big IF IMHO) this will be his one shot at a big NHL payday. Other than his entry deal he's never gotten more than 2 years, and only only once has seen a contract paying him a salary > $650K. At 28 years old, he'll want to cash in a la PA Parentau / Ville Leino / Jeff Finger.

I wouldn't be surprised if he gets that pay day elsewhere, unless Gillis thinks he's the real deal
Last edited by Vader on Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

SKYO wrote:@drosennhl
Reports surfacing of Oil interest in Bryz.
@strombone1 wrote:I kinda liked being the only "nutty" goalie in my division.... :-(
I may actually watch an episode of Oil Change now.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Vader wrote:
If Santorelli can keep up this pace (and that's a big IF IMHO) this will be his one shot at a big NHL payday. Other than his entry deal he's never gotten more than 2 years, and only only once has seen a contract paying him a salary > $650K. At 28 years old, he'll want to cash in a la PA Parentau / Ville Leino / Jeff Finger.

I wouldn't be surprised if he gets that pay day elsewhere, unless Gillis thinks he's the real deal
Well if he's smart he'll take a page out of Carter/Klatt/Baumgartner's books and resign where he's getting it done.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vader »

ClamRussel wrote:
Vader wrote:

Well if he's smart he'll take a page out of Carter/Klatt/Baumgartner's books and resign where he's getting it done.
Perhaps.

He's a classic buyer beware signing. His production is a byproduct of his ice time, which is a byproduct of woeful team depth at centre with Kesler in the wing. He's getting the job done right now, but the warts in is game dictate he shouldn't be playing close to 20 minutes a night - that's more than what the Sedin's were getting under Vigneault.