GDT: Nov 5: Canucks @ Yotes - 6pm PT - SPac

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Nov 5: Canucks @ Yotes - 6pm PT - SPac

Post by 2Fingers »

One of the biggest things I have seen change (or maybe changed back) is the defence moving in on the attack. Once again the D I think are given the green light to take chances as needed and they know a forward will move back.

I like this as I think it cause confusion on the opposing team as they dont know who to follow which provides some more open ice for the team. I know under AV and in the SC year they did this a lot but the last 2 seasons not as much.

Game was boring!

Sedin's should not be in on the SO.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Reefer2 wrote:
The Sedins should be in the SO together. Imagine, passing back and forth... :mrgreen:
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

Anybody have an idea WHY they are so bad in the shootout? They can stickhandle out of a ticket booth. What's with the sudden lack of ability when it's 1v1 on the goalie? Mindset?

I don't get it.
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

Puck wrote:Anybody have an idea WHY they are so bad in the shootout? They can stickhandle out of a ticket booth. What's with the sudden lack of ability when it's 1v1 on the goalie? Mindset?

I don't get it.
Hey Henrik's shootout attempt was the smart play. Soft dump (Shorty's favorite) into the corner so Smith couldn't play it followed by a quick change to keep the pressure in their zone.
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

Puck wrote:Anybody have an idea WHY they are so bad in the shootout? They can stickhandle out of a ticket booth. What's with the sudden lack of ability when it's 1v1 on the goalie? Mindset?

I don't get it.
Hard to say, but what we do know is that the shootout is a completely different animal. Beating a goalie 1 on 1 when you have as much time as you like is a pretty specific skill. The best career shooters in this category are not necessarily guys you would think (TJ Oshie, Frans Neilson, Shawn Horcoff, etc).

IMO coming in slow gives the goalie a huge advantage. The Sedins seem to take this approach more often than not...likely because that's the way they (successfully) play the game.

Burrows and Santorelli are head and shoulders above the rest of Canuck shooters (career %), and should ALWAYS be among the first 3 shooters.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

I don't get it.
Intelligent players tend to overthink. As for the Sedins, they are great at passing back and forth. During a shootout, they have nobody to pass the puck to... :mrgreen:
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

I don't get it.
Mindset totally, their minds are 100% focused for in live, game-time zone territory and were brought up trained that way.
Shootouts = lost, except Daniel he's actually adequate in a shootout/penalty shot, but he's clearly not the teams best in that regard.

Torts will hopefully learn that the Sedins especially Henrik should never be in a shootout, only if it reaches like the 13th round.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
SKYO wrote: And trade Booth for a 3rd line center as Higgins-Santos-Burrows line is awesome.
He wont even be claimed off of waivers at this point dude.

Worthless...guess the dudes right every now and then :shock:
NO nO no, the dude loved the trade for Booth, check the tape. The only issue he has ever had with Booth is his religious point of view and his hockey smarts...
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Ya the Dude turned on Booth when he outed himself as a born again Christain on After Hours. Been going downhill from there. I would venture that if not for all the serious injuries Booth would have given us decent production. Whether that production would be near his 4.2 million level I guess is the question.
The only HW the Canucks need
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

I don't get it.
They over-think it and get in to close.

The Sedins are so good in the offensive zone because of how patient they are and how well they protect the puck. They wait for opportunities to present themselves and they aren't great at faking anything. :P

In the shootout they try and wait the goaltender out, but they don't give him anything convincing to bite on.....then they get in too close and can't lift the puck.

Henrik actually has a good shootout/penalty shot move where he goes forehand-backhand-forehand. He was setting it up and Smith was actually down and taking away the backhand....puck just got away from Hank.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Jovocop wrote:
Reefer2 wrote:
The Sedins should be in the SO together. Imagine, passing back and forth... :mrgreen:
The team should inquire with the league as to whether they can use two shootout attempts at once and send the Sedins in on a 2-on-0.. I'd take a guaranteed 1/2 on the shootout every time. :lol:
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Sedins shootout, problem is a sense of urgency. Far too hesitant.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.