Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

dangler
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by dangler »

herb wrote:Aside from the obvious undertone that a message is being sent to Booth, this allows the Canucks to play Archibald, who has played well, a bit more without risking losing Dalpe, Alberts or Weber on waivers.
A note on conditioning assignments: a player who has been on IR can be assigned to the AHL on a conditioning assignment for a maximum of 14 days. So, everyone's favourite player will be back in two weeks or be placed on waivers (unlikely).
Maybe he can get the 10 games of ineffective-play-after-coming-back-from-a-injury out of the way in Utica......and I hear there is good huntin in those parts :shock: ............. :mex: :mex:

See ya in 2 weeks BOOTHY!!!
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Hockey Widow wrote:
If he isn't going to play waive him. There is some hope someone might grab him freeing up his cap. If not then we do save close to one million on the cap.

But two weeks in Utica may actually be a huge benefit for him. He can play all out and try and get his game back. It depends upon how much he wants it.
I bet there is a coupla deals to be made right now for Booth, however the only caveat is the other team wants the Canucks to retain some salary, so the back and forth negotiating continues for awhile.

Plus with Booth in Utica he could get scouted way more easier for those eastern based teams.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

herb wrote: A note on conditioning assignments: a player who has been on IR can be assigned to the AHL on a conditioning assignment for a maximum of 14 days. So, everyone's favourite player will be back in two weeks or be placed on waivers (unlikely).
Another note on conditioning assignments: The player has to agree to it.

Now if they waived him first, and he cleared, he'd have to report if sent down (or else be suspended).
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I hope he plays himself into game shape and comes back up ready to prove Torts wrong. That would be the best result for us.
The only HW the Canucks need
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Hockey Widow wrote:I hope he plays himself into game shape and comes back up ready to prove Torts wrong. That would be the best result for us.
Hallelujah! :D
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Hockey Widow wrote:I hope he plays himself into game shape and comes back up ready to prove Torts wrong. That would be the best result for us.
Booth does not have that in him.

I don't see him ever signing a big contract again and in probably a few years he will retire.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Just a thought for those who want to waive Booth and then assign him to the Comets - if a player eating $3m and change of your cap soace while playing in the AHL gets injured down there, can you call him up to the NHL and then place him on IR/LTIR?
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

I don't mind Booth as a person and think he has gotten an unfair shake of things here in Vancouver, but boy would an effective $4M winger be helpful.

Comparables to Booth's cap hit include Loui Eriksson, James Van Riemsdyk, Jakub Voracek, TJ Oshie, Chris Stewart and Andrew Ladd...I can understand the frustration and pray to baby Jesus that this conditioning stint turns things around for our man of God.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I tell you it's Florida. The two who made it out of there are Horton and Luongo. Weise is having a poor start in Detroit and talking heads are talking.

Booth may never get back to a 20 goal scorer but right now if he could play effective minutes and contribute to a line it would be an improvement. If he could get back to what he was doing before the knee injury it would be an improvement. But with him I question his wanting it's he leaves way to much to Jesus.
The only HW the Canucks need
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

herb wrote:Comparables to Booth's cap hit include Loui Eriksson, James Van Riemsdyk, Jakub Voracek, TJ Oshie, Chris Stewart and Andrew Ladd...I can understand the frustration and pray to baby Jesus that this conditioning stint turns things around for our man of God.
Interestingly enough, other than Oshie all of those guys have been traded.. and all of them returned considerably more in those trades.

(Not to disagree that it'd be nice to get $4m worth of contributing NHL play out of that cap space.. even at UFA rates.)
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

dbr wrote:Interestingly enough, other than Oshie all of those guys have been traded.. and all of them returned considerably more in those trades.

(Not to disagree that it'd be nice to get $4m worth of contributing NHL play out of that cap space.. even at UFA rates.)
No doubt, they are all considerably more effective players that would have cost a heck of a lot more to acquire. With the cap where it is, you really can't afford to have $4M doing nothing and expect to be the best. To get into that next tier of teams, we need the kind of depth a $4M forward should be able to provide.

Booth has been very close to a 20 goal scorer here (18 goals in 79 games I believe). The injuries are just getting a bit tedious...
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

Hockey Widow wrote:I tell you it's Florida. The two who made it out of there are Horton and Luongo. Weise is having a poor start in Detroit and talking heads are talking.
I'd have to throw in Seidenberg and Campbell as well. Seidenberg is an effective defenceman and the acquisition of Campbell puts the disciplinary committee in the Bruins pocket, not to mention Campbell is a pretty solid 4th liner.
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

If Booth has any honor he will go down there and work his tail off to get back into game shape. He's taken a lot of money from Vancouver and not earned a penny at this point.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Matthew 5:5 wrote:Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

dbr wrote:Just a thought for those who want to waive Booth and then assign him to the Comets - if a player eating $3m and change of your cap soace while playing in the AHL gets injured down there, can you call him up to the NHL and then place him on IR/LTIR?
I actually googled this last night and could not find a confirmatory answer.

Although I did not have a lot of time...
____
Try to focus on someday.