Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Reefer2 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:48 am

Hockey Widow wrote:I hope he plays himself into game shape and comes back up ready to prove Torts wrong. That would be the best result for us.

Booth does not have that in him.

I don't see him ever signing a big contract again and in probably a few years he will retire.
Reefer2
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby dbr » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:56 am

Just a thought for those who want to waive Booth and then assign him to the Comets - if a player eating $3m and change of your cap soace while playing in the AHL gets injured down there, can you call him up to the NHL and then place him on IR/LTIR?
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby herb » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:15 am

I don't mind Booth as a person and think he has gotten an unfair shake of things here in Vancouver, but boy would an effective $4M winger be helpful.

Comparables to Booth's cap hit include Loui Eriksson, James Van Riemsdyk, Jakub Voracek, TJ Oshie, Chris Stewart and Andrew Ladd...I can understand the frustration and pray to baby Jesus that this conditioning stint turns things around for our man of God.
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Hockey Widow » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:29 am

I tell you it's Florida. The two who made it out of there are Horton and Luongo. Weise is having a poor start in Detroit and talking heads are talking.

Booth may never get back to a 20 goal scorer but right now if he could play effective minutes and contribute to a line it would be an improvement. If he could get back to what he was doing before the knee injury it would be an improvement. But with him I question his wanting it's he leaves way to much to Jesus.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Postby dbr » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:51 am

herb wrote:Comparables to Booth's cap hit include Loui Eriksson, James Van Riemsdyk, Jakub Voracek, TJ Oshie, Chris Stewart and Andrew Ladd...I can understand the frustration and pray to baby Jesus that this conditioning stint turns things around for our man of God.

Interestingly enough, other than Oshie all of those guys have been traded.. and all of them returned considerably more in those trades.

(Not to disagree that it'd be nice to get $4m worth of contributing NHL play out of that cap space.. even at UFA rates.)
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby herb » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:25 pm

dbr wrote:Interestingly enough, other than Oshie all of those guys have been traded.. and all of them returned considerably more in those trades.

(Not to disagree that it'd be nice to get $4m worth of contributing NHL play out of that cap space.. even at UFA rates.)

No doubt, they are all considerably more effective players that would have cost a heck of a lot more to acquire. With the cap where it is, you really can't afford to have $4M doing nothing and expect to be the best. To get into that next tier of teams, we need the kind of depth a $4M forward should be able to provide.

Booth has been very close to a 20 goal scorer here (18 goals in 79 games I believe). The injuries are just getting a bit tedious...
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Benjo » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:40 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:I tell you it's Florida. The two who made it out of there are Horton and Luongo. Weise is having a poor start in Detroit and talking heads are talking.

I'd have to throw in Seidenberg and Campbell as well. Seidenberg is an effective defenceman and the acquisition of Campbell puts the disciplinary committee in the Bruins pocket, not to mention Campbell is a pretty solid 4th liner.
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Zedlee » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:33 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:I hope he plays himself into game shape and comes back up ready to prove Torts wrong. That would be the best result for us.

If Booth has any honor he will go down there and work his tail off to get back into game shape. He's taken a lot of money from Vancouver and not earned a penny at this point.
Zedlee
CC Veteran

Postby BurningBeard » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:08 pm

Matthew 5:5 wrote:Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
BurningBeard
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Strangelove » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:16 pm

dbr wrote:Just a thought for those who want to waive Booth and then assign him to the Comets - if a player eating $3m and change of your cap soace while playing in the AHL gets injured down there, can you call him up to the NHL and then place him on IR/LTIR?

I actually googled this last night and could not find a confirmatory answer.

Although I did not have a lot of time...
____
Big Dog
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby Strangelove » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:22 pm

Zedlee wrote:

If Booth has any honor he will go down there and work his tail off to get back into game shape. He's taken a lot of money from Vancouver and not earned a penny at this point.

I think he really does give it his best. :(

I think injuries have taken their toll.

I think he also needs to think less.

For a guy like Booth, the less he thinks the better.

Fucking fucked-up fucky-fuck gives a bad name to Christians!

That's what I think.
____
Big Dog
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby Hockey Widow » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:57 pm

The reality for us is we need the 4.2 million dollar man to begin to perform up to expectations. He doesn't need to go on a 40 goal scoring pace but a 40 point scoring pace would be acceptable at this point. We need him to play valuable minutes without being a liability and to provide. Some secondary scoring, especially for the playoffs. We don't have 4.2 to waste.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Postby Cookie La Rue » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:19 am

BurningBeard wrote:
Matthew 5:5 wrote:Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.

The wicked flee though no one pursues, but the righteous are as bold as a lion.
:mex:
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Postby Uncle dans leg » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:32 am

Strangelove wrote:
Fucking fucked-up fucky-fuck gives a bad name to Christians!

That's what I think.

There's a disturbance...in the force
nobody forks with...the jesus
Uncle dans leg
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby dbr » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:23 am

Apologies if this has been brought up Elsewhere but here's Friedman on the Canucks...

22. The contract extensions for Daniel and Henrik Sedin in Vancouver are more proof of why it is so important to draft and develop homegrown talent. It is true, as Canucks GM Mike Gillis said, that they're irreplaceable in free agency, but the Canucks knew that their families, especially the children, love it there. If an organization can grow with a young player to the point where he puts down local roots, it increases your chances of keeping your best exponentially.

23. At the end of the day, it sounds like all the twins wanted from the Canucks was recognition the cap is going up and to be fairly compensated for that. Their previous deal was signed when the ceiling was under $60 million. Now it's at $64.3 million and expected to go higher (under the new CBA, it can never drop below this year's number). The organization understood that, but at $7 million, these guys are still a bargain by NHL standards.

24. There are a couple of scouts who think Canucks head coach John Tortorella will keep Ryan Kesler on Henrik Sedin's wing long-term, spreading Daniel Sedin around to create offence. I've no idea if that's what he will do, but it would be interesting to watch.

25. So why is it working early between Tortorella and his new team? A couple of theories. First, Vancouver's veterans have been willing to accept change. It's not only the shot-blocking, but things like new roles and breaking up the Sedins. Some veteran-laden clubs won't adapt to a new coach's ideas. That hasn't happened here. Another interesting idea put forward by one of the players is that they're a quiet group and Tortorella's strong personality fits with that.

Link

A few interesting tidbits in there although #25 is the one that is the most fascinating IMO.

People talk about the "swagger" this group had etc, but here's Friedman with an unnamed Canuck calling them "a quiet group."

Also I think it bears mentioning that this team deserves some praise for buying into a new regime with little or no pushback - the last time this team went through a coaching change and tried a different approach to the game we had a couple of veterans spend a couple years fucking the dog (although injuries and age played a part no doubt) and thankfully it looks like we're largely being spared that this time around.. it's a credit to the guys on this team IMO.
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat