Dumb Ass Media

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Dumb Ass Media

Post by Zedlee »

Canuck-One wrote:A couple of years ago the Canucks had enough of Ron McLean (over his stupid and gutter trash comments about Burrows) and refused to co-operate with the CBC. The league stepped in and everyone made nice. I wish MG would step up again for the fans and our Hall of Fame player Pavel Bure. Tell the world that McLean is a classless jerk and that he wouldn't be allowed in Rogers Arena again.
Fuck McLean and Cherry. We retire Bure's jersey and they choose to use intermission time to trash him? Instead of showing a great highlight or two, they have to bring up a negative moment in his career. They'd never do that to Gilmour or any other Leaf notable. I'm disgusted.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Zedlee wrote:
Canuck-One wrote:A couple of years ago the Canucks had enough of Ron McLean (over his stupid and gutter trash comments about Burrows) and refused to co-operate with the CBC. The league stepped in and everyone made nice. I wish MG would step up again for the fans and our Hall of Fame player Pavel Bure. Tell the world that McLean is a classless jerk and that he wouldn't be allowed in Rogers Arena again.
Fuck McLean and Cherry. We retire Bure's jersey and they choose to use intermission time to trash him? Instead of showing a great highlight or two, they have to bring up a negative moment in his career. They'd never do that to Gilmour or any other Leaf notable. I'm disgusted.
It was very classless. Not that Canuck fans had much respect for McLean as it was. If I ever run into him I'll call him out as the coward he is.... :evil:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

Zedlee,

I agree with what you're saying but at this point, are you really surprised?

Unfortunately, there is nothing the fans and citizens of Vancouver can really do other than keep their heads in the sands. If anyone 'speaks up', not only do you play into their hands, but it also gives the powerful NHL media and other Canadian media outlets in cities such as Toronto, Calgary, and Edmonton, to perpetuate the myth of us being "whiners", "divers", "biters", and "rioters" (to which rival teams of ours in the U.S. at said current time period will also hop on that wagon).

Our best course of action is too simply do and say nothing, while staying classy at all times (for our team, our media, and our fans). Eventually, you'll have someone from a non-Vancouver market (i.e. Ottawa, Winnipeg, Montreal) start pointing out the inapporpriateness. Other markets outside of Calgary, Edmonton, and Toronto will slowly ensue.

If the years between 2009 and 2013 proved anything, it's that speaking out will have a massive adverse effect and will play right into CBC's hands (or the referee's for that matter).

Do and say NOTHING and let outsiders eventually comment on the obvious injustice and/or classlessness.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Already had my say in the Game Day thread...
Strangelove wrote:

On PAVEL BURE DAY, Ron MacLean decides to show a clip of Pavel slew-footing some poor schmuck

... along with Cherry calling Pavel a weasel back in the day.

Then MacLean says "... the weasel comment was for a very good reason..."

Cherry: "Why are you showing that for?

MacLean: "Remember Pat Quinn was hot at you about Pavel Bure? And maybe Pavel doesn’t remember this in 1994, but you didn’t say he blackmailed the Canucks, what you said was that the contract was wrong because the story we got was that Pavel and Arthur Griffiths negotiated it over Pat’s head. Just so everybody’s clear on that. He was a weasel with the slew-foot…"

So yeah, thanks for portraying Pavel Bure as a weasel on Pavel Bure Day on HNIC Rotten Ronny!

I mean who would know more about being a weasel than YOU eh wot? Image
LOFL at MacLean for calling anyone else a weasel! :lol:

Oh the irony, oh the humanity, the guy even looks like an actual weasel. :crazy:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

The Brown Knight wrote: Our best course of action is too simply do and say nothing, while staying classy at all times
:eh:

:hmmm:

:drink:

Yeah no, fuck that shit.

*farts in Rotten Ronny's face*
____
Try to focus on someday.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Strangelove wrote:
The Brown Knight wrote: Our best course of action is too simply do and say nothing, while staying classy at all times
:eh:

:hmmm:

:drink:

Yeah no, fuck that shit.

*farts in Rotten Ronny's face*
Unfortunately Doc, it's the best way without the Canuck brand ( and the city of Vancouver.........uh....brand) being tarnished.

Case in point - Ron McLean attacking Alex Burrows at the end of 2011 when the Canucks were playing Ottawa........followed by our media backlash........followed by Ron McLean's "apology" to Vancouver on National TV where in a very indirect yet obvious way, made the city of Vancouver look like they couldn't take a joke and were overreacting.

99% of non-Canuck hockey fans will have a 5 second attention span when anything Canuck related is mentioned.

Hence - When McLean "apologizes" to Van, most people will think, "Meh......I didn't see what happened.......Van's probably just bitching. Buncha divers and whiners. When's dinner ready?"

Long story short - anything we do and say will get spun around by CBC and/or Gary Bettman and we'll end up looking likes asswipes.......and hence, hurting our brand and perception.

I'd love to smash in Ron McLean's face with a baseball bat in a perfect world.........but there are consequences.

The Dark Indian Rises
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

The Brown Knight wrote: Unfortunately Doc, it's the best way without the Canuck brand ( and the city of Vancouver.........uh....brand) being tarnished.

Case in point - Ron McLean attacking Alex Burrows at the end of 2011 when the Canucks were playing Ottawa........followed by our media backlash........followed by Ron McLean's "apology" to Vancouver on National TV where in a very indirect yet obvious way, made the city of Vancouver look like they couldn't take a joke and were overreacting.
Well the "city of Vancouver" considered it a very poor + untimely joke at best.

And the "city of Vancouver" was bang on in that regard, given the circumstances.

What you're referring to is the Burrows Opened the Gate on the Lapierre-on-Winchester Hit Joke.

Fact is, this roll-your-eyes joke just happened to closely follow MacLean's scathing "expose" on Mr Burrows.

This scathing "expose" was of course a response to the Burrows-Auger incident.

Said incident gave rise to the question: "Who is the good guy here, Burrows or Auger?"

Burrows had claimed referee Auger had said he was "out to get him” and that eventually he did just that.

MacLean doesn't deny the fact he portrayed Burrows as a villain as a way of protecting fellow ref Auger.

MacLean flat out called Burrows a liar.

MacLean refused to believe Auger had said that

(MacLean did not claim to ever discuss this with Auger personally).

He then proceeded to show clips of every dirty deed Burrows had ever committed....

embellishing a 2 into a 5, light spear, leaving feet on hit, half-punch from the bench, taunting a few folk.

In the end MacLean didn't manage to dig up a lot of dirt, but he did try.

He smeared Alex right at the time folks were trying to figure out "Who is the good guy here?"

And concluded Alex is a liar.

THEN came his "joke". :roll:

So in the big picture we can see why the "city of Vancouver" did not find this "joke" funny.

Also, the "city of Vancouver" doesn't give a shit if the rest of Canada doesn't "get" what's going on here.

The "city of Vancouver" is however interested in LOL at Ron the Weasel and all the squirming we cause him.

It's more of a laughing at him thing if you can see the big picture I am painting.

So y'see Brownie, the "city of Vancouver" has a great sense of humour after all! :thumbs:

JUST LOOK AT THAT WEASEL SQUIRM!

The Brown Knight wrote: 99% of non-Canuck hockey fans will have a 5 second attention span when anything Canuck related is mentioned.
That's almost like saying I have a 5 second attention span when anything Leaf related is mentioned.

So yeah, gonna hafta disagree with you on that one, there's a LOT of Canuck hatred out there.
The Brown Knight wrote: Long story short - anything we do and say will get spun around by CBC and/or Gary Bettman and we'll end up looking likes asswipes.......and hence, hurting our brand and perception.
Well if ANYTHING we say and do will get spun around in such fashion, why not call a weasel a weasel wot? :wink:
The Brown Knight wrote: I'd love to smash in Ron McLean's face with a baseball bat in a perfect world.........but there are consequences.
:idea:

Okay, you just gave me a GREAT idea....
____
Try to focus on someday.
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

Ron Mclean is a complete moron. his obvious eastern bias destroys what little credibility HNIC still has. Our only hope is HNIC bolts to TSN and leaves that asshole behind. I really thought Cherry was ready to smoke him when he brought up the slew-foot incident. Obviously Mclean didn't want to show how Bure dominated the Laughs in the 94 play-offs. I for one am going to flood the HNIC web-site demanding they fire that idiot.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

okcanuck wrote:Our only hope is HNIC bolts to TSN and leaves that asshole behind.
Trade McLean for Dregar straight up.

No one wins.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Strangelove wrote:Well if ANYTHING we say and do will get spun around in such fashion, why not call a weasel a weasel wot? :wink:
I agree with most of your post and so I won't focus too much on that. Regarding the above comment however, I think it might be better strategy for the Canucks to "rise above" that kind of stuff and focus on being classy. Eventually, the people will see it.......and appreciate it.

Calling a weasel a weasel just makes us look like a weasel.
The Brown Knight wrote: I'd love to smash in Ron McLean's face with a baseball bat in a perfect world.........but there are consequences.
I regret making this comment public........even though it is what I truly wish I could do.

Principles > Emotion.

The Dark Indian Rises
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

The Brown Knight wrote: I think it might be better strategy for the Canucks to "rise above" that kind of stuff and focus on being classy.

Eventually, the people will see it.......and appreciate it.
Nope, they're gonna hate us no matter what we do.

So we might as well enjoy ourselves amirite? :thumbs:

Chant with me now...

BUG-GER CLASS
UP THE ASS!
BUG-GER CLASS
UP THE ASS!
BUG-GER CLASS
UP THE ASS!
BUG-GER CLASS
UP THE ASS!
The Brown Knight wrote: Calling a weasel a weasel just makes us look like a weasel.
True.

But that means if they call us on being a weasel then they will look TOTALLY like a weasel! :rockin:

Which they totally are!

Which we totally aren't!

Seriously though Brownie, you've gotta admit, Rotten Ronny is the mother of all weasels. :hmmm:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I asked my brothers what they thought of McLean trashing Bure on sweater retirement night. They thought it was funny and appropriate. I asked if the same thing happened with Gilmour, like did they bring up the rape charges filled by his 14 year baby sitter while he was in St. Louis? Or any of his weasel playes. How about Clark, anything. Of course not. Why would they?

Not jut the media that are dorks.
The only HW the Canucks need
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

I don't care what Mclean has to say. I care about what Grapes has to say though. :P

As Torts would say: "I don't care what CBC has to say." :lol:

Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

sagebrush wrote:
Elliotte Friedman. The odd man out, when he shows up on HNIC.[/quote]

I feel sorry for him at times...Surrounded by halfwits. It's just a matter of time before Friedman ends up on TSN or SNET.
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Mr.Miyagi wrote:I feel sorry for him at times...Surrounded by halfwits. It's just a matter of time before Friedman ends up on TSN or SNET.
He can sit at a veritable Algonquin round table, with Kypreos and Doug MacLean.