Should Bure's Jersey be Retired?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Should Pavel Bure's #10 should be retire?

Yes
93%
No
7%

Total votes: 14

Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Should Bure's Jersey be Retired?

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

I'm probably going to take some heat on this one, but I don't think his jersey should be retired. He was the most talented/exciting player to ever play for our franchise, no doubt; however, I don't think he played for us long enough, he didn't get us a cup and I don't think he had the heart of a Canuck. Guys like Linden/Smyl loved the franchise/team/city and would of played for us forever if they could. What they lacked in skill/talent, they made up with character and heart. Bure on the other hand, when he felt ownership/management wasn't backing him up and was trying to rip him off, he wanted out. He couldn't get out of here fast enough and didn't set foot in the city again on his own time.

Even though I'm in the minority I will say this. Despite my opinions, If most of the Canuck fans are happy to see Bure's number retired, it's probably a good move to make for the fans and the franchise. I'm not the biggest Aquaman fan either, but I thought it was a good move to heal the rift that Bure had towards the franchise all this time and make him a part of the canuck family/alumni again. It's good to see him back and let's remember the good rather than the not so good times. I think during the ceremony, Bure was fighting back the emotions a bit and he should be grateful and lucky for what this team has given him and how the fans have loved him when he played here.

ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Re: Should Bure's Jersey be Retired?

Post by ukcanuck »

Am I missing something ?

This is like doubly redundant...

His number is retired and it's been argued to death both here and the old CC...

But I do agree that they shouldn't retire his number in Florida or New York
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

"Should it be"? It was, and for good reason. And I'm not going debate this again - especially after the fact.

:?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Art Vandelay
CC Veteran

Post by Art Vandelay »

of course it should be retired. They should have ripped down the other three sweaters while thye hung 10 up. He is the ONLY one who deserves the honor at this point. I believe the Sedins will be up there when all is said and done.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

The bar was set far to low with numbers 12 and 16. Nineteen won't pass the test of time either.

Ten will.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Topper wrote:The bar was set far to low with numbers 12 and 16. Nineteen won't pass the test of time either.

Ten will.
Yeah, I'll agree with #12 and #19, #16 I think I'd still go with though.
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

If you ask me, 16 should be the ONLY number retired. Since we set the bar so low though, Bure deserves it. But if you ask me I would like to see players spend more time with the organization than he did if they're going to have their jersey retired. 19 is the biggest stain up there though if you ask me, and 12 doesn't seem deserving as well.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

Bure, Naslund, and eventually the twins, are the only players deserving IMO.

As great as Linden and Smyl are as leaders, they simply never were of the superstar calibre, or put up superstar calibre numbers.

Bure, Naslund, and the twins were among the best players in the league for many years, and also won major NHL individual awards.

I don't like the idea of retiring numbers but if any four players deserve honor, it is those four.

Kesler and Luongo deserve more respect than both Linden and Smyl as far as Canuck recognition is concerned, and should probably be regarded as our 5th and 6th greatest Canucks of all-time.

As much as I love Linden and Smyl, any honor that they receive from Vancouver and it's fans is pretty much admitting to the idea or notion that mediocrity should be praised.

In a sad sort of way, praising Linden and Smyl makes us look laughable to the rest of the NHL. I saw Tony Tanti help an elderly woman across the street once. He's a swell guy. Perhaps his jersey should be retired like Linden's and Smyl's were.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

The Brown Knight wrote: In a sad sort of way, praising Linden and Smyl makes us look laughable to the rest of the NHL.
So you're admitting that you care what haters think of this team? :o
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

And what about Luongo when he's done? I mean if he plays out his contract and all of that.
The only HW the Canucks need
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Hockey Widow wrote:And what about Luongo when he's done? I mean if he plays out his contract and all of that.
If Lou puts the whole trade fiasco behind him, stays here and wins a Vezina or two, I'd consider him. If he wins a Cup and Conn Smythe here, 100% I'd vote to retire his jersey. :D
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:And what about Luongo when he's done? I mean if he plays out his contract and all of that.
If Lou puts the whole trade fiasco behind him, stays here and wins a Vezina or two, I'd consider him. If he wins a Cup and Conn Smythe here, 100% I'd vote to retire his jersey. :D
Our greatest goalie ever, that won the Presidents trophies for us and the Jennings, and gave a shot at game 7 of a Cup, who won a gold Olympic medal in Vancouver, the only Canadian backstopper ever to do so on home soil and you want to act like your opinion matters?

Maybe we can hang you from the rafters ;)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Arachnid wrote:Our greatest goalie ever, that won the Presidents trophies for us and the Jennings, and gave a shot at game 7 of a Cup, who won a gold Olympic medal in Vancouver, the only Canadian backstopper ever to do so on home soil and you want to act like your opinion matters?
Not to mention he’s already top 20 in all time wins and should easily finish this season out in the top 15. When all is said and done, he could conceivably finish his career with over 500 regular season wins, which would be behind only Roy and Brodeur. He’s fifth in all time save percentage (>250 games played) as well.

He hasn't won the individual or team hardware in the NHL, yet, but he'll be a strong contender to join the HHOF based upon NHL legacy, Olympic gold medal, and two golds and one silver at the World Championships.

If he stays in Vancouver another few seasons, that's a long stretch of elite level play with a single team. He is easily our best goalie ever, and one of the best of all time. Of course his jersey will be retired!
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

Lou is right on the border in my opinion.

If Lou wins a Vezina or a Hart trophy, then absolutely.

If not however, then I'm going to have to definitely say 'no.'

That's just me though.

My only problem with Lou is that his massive meltdowns between 2009-2011 are going to be hard to ignore......and yes, I realize that he also had many brilliant performances during that time span as well......most noticeably, in 2011.

Lou's unbelievable performance in Game 5 of the 2011 cup finals, followed by Game 6 of the 2011 cup finals, is exactly how I view the Luongo situation in its entirety. It's tough to discern him for me because in the playoffs, his performances have just been so extreme on both ends. One moment, he's Martin Brodeur in his prime. The next game, he looks like the twin of Marc Andre Fleury 2013. Everyone knows that in Game 6 of the 2011 Cup Finals, the Canucks were taking the game to Boston in those first 5 minutes (If Sedin had buried that open net, who knows where things could have gone from there). However - that Marchand goal on Lou was just something that true championship calibre "rafter" players DO NOT LET IN. Furthermore, if in the instance that a goal like that DOES go in on championship calibre goalie, they are mentally resilient enough to move forward rather than letting that one goal bug them..........as opposed to letting in 2 more garbage goals.

It's the reason why there is such a wide range of opinion on Luongo. Both sides have tremendously valid points.

The "stats" crowd tend to be very pro Luongo. The "intuitive" crowd however, that considers other factors (i.e. breaking down Lou's stats in games that could be considered 'clutch') tend to be on the hesitant side. The clowns in Alberta and Toronto however, tend to believe that Lou is garbage.

It is a little ironic that in Luongo's two greatest wins (i.e. Olympic Gold Medal Game, Chicago Game 7), that Luongo let in goals in the last minute (although I do concede that the Olympics was far more Scott Niedermayer's fault rather than Luongo's.........but still, a truly elite goalie would have stopped that puck 9 times out of 10........because it's what true winners do).

However - since this organization has rewarded mediocrity in the past with Smyl and Linden, then Luongo probably deserves to be there based on that alone. Unlike Smyl and Linden, Luongo is widely considered a superstar not only in Vancouver......but outside of Vancouver as well.

For me - Luongo gets a resounding and thundering "Fuck no" from me............unless he wins a Vezina or a Hart.
Last edited by The Brown Knight on Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

I have never been a believer of the full retirement of a number....

I think an "honoring" is suffice, hang the jersey full blown recognition but do not pull the number out of the available number options.

thats what the HOF is for......
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….