GDT Oct 28 Washington @ Vancouver | 7:00 PT | SN1

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT Oct 28 Washington @ Vancouver | 7:00 PT | SN1

Post by Aaronp18 »

First game back after a long road trip has traditionally been a predictably terrible game from the Canucks.

They were all over the Caps.

The PP deserved a better fate as well. Excellent puck movement and some really good looks, they keep doing that and the puck will start going in.

Great game all around.

Evidently the Sedins and Kesler just need to play 25+ minutes per night. Daniel's goal was just ridiculous, reminded me of some of their completely dominating shifts against the Oilers a few years ago.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Remember when Hank and Dan were in Art Ross form and people were lamenting their lack of ice time under AV and how much better their numbers would be if they were only given more minutes.

LOL
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Yup who'da thunk giving our best players more minutes would make them better?

Sedin - Sedin - Kesler line = best line in the league right now.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

A strong performance for first game back, as has been pointed out. I was anticipating a slow, sloppy half effort but was pleased with the performance.

If our PP could ever begin to click we would make games like this much easier on ourselves. We have to start connecting.

As good as the Secins and Kesler are playing we are really a one line team now. Other lines get a look but not much sustained. This won't change with the length of Hansen, JS, Weise and Booth injuries. In years past it was the D that had the revolving door but this year it sure seems like it is the forward group. As long as the top line keeps producing and can play the minuets and hold off injuries the problem will be somewhat masked. But if they have a flat game we'll see it in spades.

Given the length of time before we get our injuries guys back MG needs to be looking at something. Being at home right now will help as we will get more practice time and a chance for Torts to build a second line.

Nice win, nice way to return home. Two big contests coming up against the Wings and leaves. Both games will be a test but both teams are teams we have historically been up for. Don't like the early start on Saturday but anything to help Toronto I guess :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Good for Luongo on that penalty shot. Great save. Team is starting to make a believer out of me.
The only HW the Canucks need
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Well HW I'm liking the play of Santorelli and Higgins for the 2nd line as both are creative and fluid with the puck, most definitely above average puck skills!

If Burrows or Kassian can click with them we should be rolling along this .679 play for awhile!

As an aside this team really doesn't even need Booth or Schroeder to be successful, we could give em away for free and there would be no noticeable loss.
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Strangelove wrote:LOL @ the Sedins And Kesler Are Done crowd! :lol:
Yeah, where are all the bedwetters lately?

Kesler is washed up, can't score.
Sedins are over the hill, they wont get point-per-game anymore.
Gillis is an idiot, look what crappy pickups we got - Santorelli, Richerdson & Stanton. :look:
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I like the way Higgins and Santorelli play together so I agree if either Burrows or Kassian can fit there we will have two good lines. Ideally I'd like Kassian to run with this spot so Burrows can shift down to the third line with whoever is left to make a checking line. At least until the wa liking wounded are back. It does mean limited 4th line minutes but it should get everyone in good game shape :mrgreen:

A real patchwork out there. But I can see Torts going back with Burrows with the twins in a game or two and moving Kesler back to centre. We just need a good centre right now to support the first line.
The only HW the Canucks need
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

I got to say that Torts has made a difference in how they play. It is really good to see our guys taking to teams instead of scoring and sittting back waiting to be scored on. Kass is going to be a good one but it is going to come slow. However, when it comes no one will miss Cody. Lou looking ok and the D looking good too. Still need some more second line scoring.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Really good third period by the team. When the Caps went up on Grabovski's goal I thought it was the beginning of the wheels falling off to make good on the first game back from a road trip theory. Instead it was a collective team response to just go harder at the net.

The bounces are coming for Kesler right now, and he is certainly earning them. It seems lately that whenever a team scores to go up on us that Kesler is answering within a couple of minutes. I like what I'm hearing in the media about Torts seeing him more as a winger than a center, we've all said that Kesler is a guy who won't make his linemates better by distributing the puck and being the primary puck carrier, well putting him on a line with the Sedins and having a coach who is telling him what to do is making a big difference. Maybe Kesler just needed a fellow Yankee to give him direction before he'd listen. :P

Lou is looking very solid right now. I think he looks more poised in pressure situations than he has in years.

I thought Edler had a good game last night, I'm noticing a bit more physical play out of him.....and not crushing hits, but hard checks in the corners (someone else pointed that out, so I watched for it).

Hamhuis had his best game in weeks, maybe all season.

And as much as people are worried about secondary scoring, I'd just like to say that 33% of our scoring last night came from the secondary. Kassian was good again last night, he seems to be finding some confidence, I don't expect the world from him yet, but if he continues to improve and ends up with the right linemates I don't think 20 goals is out of his reach this year.....time will tell.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Sestito is the only problem. He is pretty much ineffective out there and has been a liability at times. When everyone is healthy, I would rather have Archibald on the fourth line than him.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Jovocop wrote:Sestito is the only problem. He is pretty much ineffective out there and has been a liability at times. When everyone is healthy, I would rather have Archibald on the fourth line than him.
If Sestito, a cheap tough 4th line grinder, is the only problem, that's a pretty fuckin' good team. just sayin'
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

“I want him to take someone’s job. There’s really something there.”
- Torts on Archibald

Archibald had a couple of nice hits in this game. One along the far boards was particularly crushing, he put somebody on their ass, but I forget who. Green maybe?

Sestito is awful. He was directly at fault for the Caps first goal and was on the ice for both goals against. I have to think he's waiver wire bound if we ever get healthy.

Otherwise, it was an excellent game by the Canucks. Dominated the Caps in all three zones, five on five, on the powerplay and killed off all four Caps' powerplays.

Weak call on the OV penalty shot, but it was exciting to watch as a fan and I was stoked to see Luongo stone him there. Speaking of Luo, he and Hamhuis played well with the Team Canada brass in the house.

The Canucks look really strong. This was the type of game you'd typically think would be a let down in previous years, but for the most part our guys are showing up and putting their best foot forward in most games. Hard to not praise the coaching staff for the early season results.

Nice to see Kassian get some puck luck, but as usual he was good and bad at times. He belongs on the third line because he just has too much to work on in terms of being consistent. I can't help but feel Torts is the man for the job.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

SKYO wrote:
Jovocop wrote:Sestito is the only problem. He is pretty much ineffective out there and has been a liability at times. When everyone is healthy, I would rather have Archibald on the fourth line than him.
If Sestito, a cheap tough 4th line grinder, is the only problem, that's a pretty fuckin' good team. just sayin'
With a 9-4-1 record, there should not be any major problems. The team could be better with Archibald replacing Sestito. At the very least, Archibald is faster and smarter... BTW, Sestito is big but not that tough... He reminds me of Momesso...
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

SKYO wrote:Well HW I'm liking the play of Santorelli and Higgins for the 2nd line as both are creative and fluid with the puck, most definitely above average puck skills!

If Burrows or Kassian can click with them we should be rolling along this .679 play for awhile!

As an aside this team really doesn't even need Booth or Schroeder to be successful, we could give em away for free and there would be no noticeable loss.
Seconded.

Santorelli, Higgins and Burrows is a very strong line. Having Burr in the line up makes this team a million times better. It's frickin night and day.

And Santorelli. Holy fuck. Santorelli is who MayRay should have been. Santorelli is a small forward that doesn't give up the puck once he's been hit on the boards. I'm very impressed.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Mëds wrote: I thought Edler had a good game last night, I'm noticing a bit more physical play out of him.....and not crushing hits, but hard checks in the corners (someone else pointed that out, so I watched for it).

Hamhuis had his best game in weeks, maybe all season.
Really?

I thought Edler was quite shitty actually. Gave up the puck a few times on the hard forecheck. Yes he was a bit physical but the physicality shown doesn't make up for his continued inability to handle the hard forecheck like Hamhuis and Bieksa can.