Boothy-the last straw

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

dangler
MVP
MVP

Boothy-the last straw

Post by dangler »

With all the injuries,majority of his play while a Canuck being ineffective,and the emergence of some new-comers,
do the Canucks end the David Booth experiment?
I've got to believe that his presence would start to be more of a hindrance than a benefit at this point,especially when you hear stories of him being bag-skated at practices for lack of effort.
If the Canucks were to make him a healthy scratch when he returns that would still leave the club with Daniel,Burr,
Higgy,Sestito and Pelletier on L wing.
Does Boothy go bye bye?
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Boothy-the last straw

Post by rats19 »

dangler wrote:With all the injuries,majority of his play while a Canuck being ineffective,and the emergence of some new-comers,
do the Canucks end the David Booth experiment?
I've got to believe that his presence would start to be more of a hindrance than a benefit at this point,especially when you hear stories of him being bag-skated at practices for lack of effort.
If the Canucks were to make him a healthy scratch when he returns that would still leave the club with Daniel,Burr,
Higgy,Sestito and Pelletier on L wing.
Does Boothy go bye bye?
looking more and more like it...who do we pass the speriment on too and for what costs?
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

I'm sure the Gillis would trade him for a bag of pucks at this point,but unless Mike Milbury gets a GM job in the near future I doubt there will be any takers.
I think the aquamen are just gonna have to eat this one!!
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

So, its not over then....
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

dangler wrote:I'm sure the Gillis would trade him for a bag of pucks at this point,but unless Mike Milbury gets a GM job in the near future I doubt there will be any takers.
I think the aquamen are just gonna have to eat this one!!
I agree. The guy is always hurt. It would be nice if he could ever be healthy enough to get in shape, but at this point... time to move on. Get him healthy in time for the off-season, and then give him the compliance buyout for the final year.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

There are a few options here. You trade him for another overpaid , underachieving player on another team.

You send him to the minors and have him earn 4.25 million playing for the comets. However they would only get 900 k salary relief I believe. Not sure if it is worth 3.3 million in wasted cap space to not have him play on your team.

You can hope he can get it together and if not buy him out at the end of the year. I have my doubts about this player's heart and comittment so I don't see this happening.

They could trade him for scraps and retain a good chunk of his salary. This could be the best bet if a team near the cap floor thinks they can get something out of him. With the cap expected to be in the 70 million range it wouldn't be the end of the world if they had to pay him 2 million to suit up with the Jackets or the Flames.

I don't think this player is tough enough mentally to play for Torts and the best bet may be to turf him ASAP as he is a drag on the team imho. He looked decent for the first half dozen games but he doesn't seem to want it enough and at this point in his career I doubt he ever will. I say if we can get a team to take him off our hands and eat half his ticket that might be the way to go. At least they'll have 2- 2.5 million to add a player(s) that can make a difference here.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: I say if we can get a team to take him off our hands and eat half his ticket that might be the way to go. At least they'll have 2- 2.5 million to add a player(s) that can make a difference here.
And that's really our way out until the buyout next year.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:There are a few options here. You trade him for another overpaid , underachieving player on another team.
I was thinking alone these lines as well.......like a David Booth for a John Michael Liles type deal.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

The Brown Knight wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:There are a few options here. You trade him for another overpaid , underachieving player on another team.
I was thinking alone these lines as well.......like a David Booth for a John Michael Liles type deal.

Uhh no that would be a stupid move. There are other guys in the league besides Liles that would be better fits here. He is shit on a stick . I see them either eating a chunk of Booth's salary to play elsewhere or buying him out next summer if he isn't too much of a distraction.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Lets not forget how little Booth has played in the last year and a half.

For now I'm happy to let him stew in purgatory, find his second navel and be reborn.

We have seen glimpses of what he is capable of when healthy and carrying the puck to the net. Better in relief than selling low.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Can I just point out that for all the shit Booth gets from this market, he has helped set up two pretty important goals this seasons (go back and check the highlights from the first Devils GWG and the third goal in the Penguins game).

People don't like fancy stats, but Booth has excellent possession and shot differential numbers.

Continue on with the Booth narrative though. It wouldn't be a Vancouver Canucks season without some sort of controversy.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

I wonder if something along the lines of Booth for 2 of Clemmensen/Whitney/Gomez would work?

Contracts a poor team would like to get rid of for an overpaid roster player who might work in their top 6.

We then flush Clemmensen/Whitney/Gomez for cap relief and eventually trade for Vanek at the deadline. :mex:

(first $925K of each salary wouldn't count against the cap)

Okay this probably won't work as the 3 players above are UFAs this summer.

But something along those lines?
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Strangelove wrote:I wonder if something along the lines of Booth for 2 of Clemmensen/Whitney/Gomez would work?

Contracts a poor team would like to get rid of for an overpaid roster player who might work in their top 6.

We then flush Clemmensen/Whitney/Gomez for cap relief and eventually trade for Vanek at the deadline. :mex:

(first $925K of each salary wouldn't count against the cap)

Okay this probably won't work as the 3 players above are UFAs this summer.

But something along those lines?
Which is exactly why it might work, them all being UFA. If we all duderize and decide Booth is a nothing, nobody useless piece of crap player then jettisoning him ASAP is the way to go. Getting two useless scrubs who are off the books next year is excellent, especially if you are the water boy and don't really want to buy anyone else out.
The only HW the Canucks need
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote: especially if you are the water boy and don't really want to buy anyone else out.
There is no doubt in my mind that water boy will use the other compliance buyout.

Compliance buyouts are gold for rich teams wanting a better team long term.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

With Booth, at least the Canucks didn't give up much to acquire him - and lets not forget re-acquiring Vancouver's 3rd round pick that they used on Cole Cassels:

Oct 22, 2011
To Vancouver: David Booth, Steven Reinprecht, and 3rd pick in 2013 draft (85th overall - Cole Cassels)
To Florida: Mikael Samuelsson and Marco Sturm

Since the trade, the Canucks have played 135 games, and David Booth has played 79 of them.

Well, that's not gonna work for high paid player that needs to be relied upon...

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!