Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Strangelove »

BurningBeard wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Canes apparently happy with Manny's play on their farm team.
This would make a lot more sense if the Canes AHL affiliate was the Portland Pirates. :wink:
Yeah, they could make him captain...

Is that the Manny smiley? :wink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Strangelove wrote:
BurningBeard wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Canes apparently happy with Manny's play on their farm team.
This would make a lot more sense if the Canes AHL affiliate was the Portland Pirates. :wink:
Yeah, they could make him captain...

Is that the Manny smiley? :wink:
I see what you did there... no wait, I didn't.

Yes, that's the Manny smiley. :wink:

Also applicable. 8-)
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Rinne on IR.
Thomas on IR

Trade Luongo now while he is hot :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Hockey Widow wrote:Rinne on IR.
Thomas on IR

Trade Luongo now while he is hot :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Oh why didn't this happen before last year's draft???

:lol:
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Luongo for Markstrom! We could have the triple crown/tre kronor goalie trifecta
If you need air...call it in
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Ward on IR too. Thems goalies is a drop'in

So the Rinne hip injury is a major concern. Not done for the year but goalies and hip injuries, well it could be a while. They are said to be in a serious hunt for a number one for the balance of the year. Miller rumours heat up but if Miller ends up in Anaheim they may have someone to trade to Nashville.

Ya, like why couldn't this have been last season. Although as things play out this year I'm pretty happy we have Lou still.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

The Canucks are not in a bad spot.

The Horvat trade will be scrutinized until Horvat turns into a legit top six NHL player. If he doesn’t pan out, then of course that trade will have been a failure.

For the time being, Luongo is playing well. There are no obvious signs of him being disgruntled or wanting out of Vancouver. He seems to be enjoying himself playing full time again. There are no signs that he is regressing at all from the standard of play we expect from him.

We also have Lack, who has had a couple of promising starts so we’ll see where that goes. He’s young and has all the attributes like size, talent and athleticism that you look for in a goalie.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

herb wrote:The Canucks are not in a bad spot.

The Horvat trade will be scrutinized until Horvat turns into a legit top six NHL player. If he doesn’t pan out, then of course that trade will have been a failure.

For the time being, Luongo is playing well. There are no obvious signs of him being disgruntled or wanting out of Vancouver. He seems to be enjoying himself playing full time again. There are no signs that he is regressing at all from the standard of play we expect from him.

We also have Lack, who has had a couple of promising starts so we’ll see where that goes. He’s young and has all the attributes like size, talent and athleticism that you look for in a goalie.
Not to judge too prematurely...but....

Is it me or has Schneider looked a little suspect in our 2 meetings against the Devils? :wow:

What if we had him for his best years? :wow: :wow:

then...

What if Horvat grows into a franchise centre? :wow: :wow: :wow:

\stranger things have happened...
If you need air...call it in
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Uncle dans leg wrote:

\stranger things have happened...
It is certainly possible. Not all that likely, in my opinion, but certainly possible. There are all kinds of goalies who go on good runs for a year or two and then fizzle out. Very few play 700+ games (and counting) like Luongo.

Anyway, Luongo was the safer bet, while Schneider has more upside in that he is younger, has put up some fantastic numbers and doesn’t have playoff meltdown baggage. Who knows, maybe Gillis accidentally made the right play.

The Devils suck, Newark is a dump, the atmosphere in the Prudential stadium is depressing…I sort of feel sorry for Cory.

One thing is for certain, thus far I am liking the thought process behind Horvat and Shinkaruk.
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

Hockey Widow wrote:Although as things play out this year I'm pretty happy we have Lou still.
One more regular season win, and Luongo ties Rogatien Vachon for 16th place on the All-Time NHL List. He just keeps racking up wins despite not wanting to be here, coaching changes, and equipment changes - he's the most professional disgruntled player I think I've ever seen.

"Don't it always seem to go,
That you don't know what you've got
'Til it's gone"

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vader »

herb wrote:
By the time you can fairly judge Horvat's ability to be a top six (2-3 years from now at the earliest), Luongo will be 37 -38 and the "window", at least as far as a cup calibre goalie is concerned will likely be closed....
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Vader wrote:By the time you can fairly judge Horvat's ability to be a top six (2-3 years from now at the earliest), Luongo will be 37 -38 and the "window", at least as far as a cup calibre goalie is concerned will likely be closed....
That's true, but sorry; I'm not seeing your point.

Are you saying that things may line up perfectly? The old era closes and a new one begins...or are you saying Horvat will be of no use within Luongo's playing days?

The next two years (2014/15 and 2015/16) will be huge in terms of the Sedin/Luongo era. After 2016, they will no longer be aging, they will be old.

The Canucks need will new torchbearers for sure by that time. Maybe Horvat can be one?
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vader »

herb wrote:
Vader wrote:By the time you can fairly judge Horvat's ability to be a top six (2-3 years from now at the earliest), Luongo will be 37 -38 and the "window", at least as far as a cup calibre goalie is concerned will likely be closed....
That's true, but sorry; I'm not seeing your point.

Are you saying that things may line up perfectly? The old era closes and a new one begins...or are you saying Horvat will be of no use within Luongo's playing days?

The next two years (2014/15 and 2015/16) will be huge in terms of the Sedin/Luongo era. After 2016, they will no longer be aging, they will be old.

The Canucks need will new torchbearers for sure by that time. Maybe Horvat can be one?

Yup, they'll need new torch bearers...including a goalie. Schneider could have been that guy. Or they could have used Schneider to get young help to win now cause the window of having a top goalie is closing. Goalies like Schneider and Luongo don't come along everyday.

Horvat may become an excellent player for the Canucks but no matter how well Horvat plays, the trade is a loss because Gillis should have got more.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Lack has looked good thus far. Oh for early to proclaim him our future stRter but the point is he has the opportunity to learn and back up one of the league's best. So ya 2-3 years we need new torch bearers but who is to say Lack won't be one of the.
We have some very good young goalies in the system so I think the future in net is ok.

And on Luongo, he is very happy right now. He isn't thinking of leaving. Don't know what the off season will bring but I do know he is quite comfortable back n Vancouver ands sees this as a second chance to win with this core. As long as the Canucks are still competitive and as long as there is no repeat of the CS fiasco I see no reason why Luongo won't want to finish his career here.

We will get the twins locked up so our so called window hasn't closed. For the first time in years we have some promising prospects up front and withe pick up of Stanton and Corrado in Utica our D core looks good too.

This has got to be one of our better Octobers and so far this season I am pleased with where we are.
Knucklehead
CC Veteran

Post by Knucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote:Lack has looked good thus far.

We will get the twins locked up so our so called window hasn't closed. For the first time in years we have some promising prospects up front and withe pick up of Stanton and Corrado in Utica our D core looks good too.

This has got to be one of our better Octobers and so far this season I am pleased with where we are.
Yes, I'm liking the look of this team early, funny fact the Nucks record on this extended road trip is better than the Blues season record thus far although they have only played 8 games.

Weird scheduling so far the Canucks have played more games than any other team at 13, Buffallo second with 12 , the Blues and the Rangers with 8 each.

We've also played more away games than any other team in the league, having played 9 for 22% of our away games,the Rangers are second with 8 away games.