Vancouver Canucks hire coach John Tortorella

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Vancouver Canucks hire coach John Tortorella

Post by Tiger »

Might as well say it .. we haven't got a team that can counterpunch.. and not much "inflicting" either.. But so far I have enjoyed his raps at game end. No sugarcoating ..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

Tiger wrote:
Might as well say it .. we haven't got a team that can counterpunch.. and not much "inflicting" either.. But so far I have enjoyed his raps at game end. No sugarcoating ..
It's early in the season.

Torts looks to be pointed in the right direction. Time will tell if his bark is backed up.

PS - Tort's aggressive D system suits Ballard to a tee. ;)
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

After the "a disturbing play by a disturbing player" comment on Kassian and http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/mont ... nior-team/, I am glad that the Canucks have Torts instead of Eakins. At least Torts acts like a man, not a little kid. :mrgreen:
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Was never impressed with Eakins and I know for certain that the Canucks weren't either. Torts was their man before they fired AV and before Torts was let go. They knew anything short of a Cup run and Torts was gone.

History tells us something about the water boys. They have replacements lined up well before they act. Just ask Nonis.
The only HW the Canucks need
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Jovocop wrote:After the "a disturbing play by a disturbing player" comment on Kassian and http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/mont ... nior-team/, I am glad that the Canucks have Torts instead of Eakins. At least Torts acts like a man, not a little kid. :mrgreen:
That is a total Hockey God thing and I’m sure that young man learned his lesson and I highly doubt we’ll see anything like that out of his mouth again. ...Loved it. They may as well have sent me over a fruit basket and a bottle of wine. That was a really great present that Mr. Eller laid on us.
Kind of makes my wonder what handle Mr. Eakins posts under.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

BurningBeard wrote:
Jovocop wrote:After the "a disturbing play by a disturbing player" comment on Kassian and http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/mont ... nior-team/, I am glad that the Canucks have Torts instead of Eakins. At least Torts acts like a man, not a little kid. :mrgreen:
That is a total Hockey God thing and I’m sure that young man learned his lesson and I highly doubt we’ll see anything like that out of his mouth again. ...Loved it. They may as well have sent me over a fruit basket and a bottle of wine. That was a really great present that Mr. Eller laid on us.
Kind of makes my wonder what handle Mr. Eakins posts under.
RD?
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Jovocop wrote:
BurningBeard wrote:Kind of makes my wonder what handle Mr. Eakins posts under.
RD?
I'd be lying if I said the thought hadn't crossed my mind. :P
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vader »

“I know the reputation from the outside looking in. When I wasn’t coaching here, and outside, everyone thought Vancouver dove and did some whining.

Our team is not going to dive.Our team has already been talked to. We are not going to dive and I don’t think there’s much whining going on, either.

Now I’m certainly not trying to accuse the league or the refs of that, but I know there has been a reputation. I’ve been in the league long enough, some times that hangs around, too. So I guess it’s my chance to say we’re going to be an honest team, we’re trying to be an honest team – and I hope we get some God damn calls along the way.”
Now, I'm not sold (or not sold) on Tortorella as a coach and I don't buy in to the "most hated team" crap either but you do have to give credit to Tortorella for coming out and saying what most outside of Vancouver thinks.

Before these comments I noticed the teams effort to avoid the diving. Will be interesting to see how long (if at all) it takes to lose this reputation around league and refs
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

Per Pat Leonard of the New York Daily News:
Tortorella blasted the new Rangers coach and former Canucks coach, saying that Vigneault created a reputation of diving and whining in Vancouver which is the reason Tortorella's squad is not receiving the benefit of the doubt from the officials.
Puts some of the local trouble making journalists in perspective.
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Talk about trying to stir up controversy where no exists. No where did Torts lay the blam at AV's feet. He was speaking of a team reputation, not laying blame. If anything it is an indictment of the players and a promise to change the culture.

Media stories like that are such shit.
The only HW the Canucks need