Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by CFP! »

Hockey Widow wrote:Strange move calling up a D'man when it's forwards we need. I don't get this move. Why not call up Lain?

Uhhhh, or Corrado? :?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

sagebrush wrote:
TDA Rum wrote:Canuck's call up Yann Sauve... are they going to be like San Jose with Brett Burns and make him a forward??
Not too long ago he was in Kalamazoo of the ECHL. A bit of head scratcher, this is.

Looks like Sauve replaces Alberts & Booth replaces Hansen, when they play in the swamp.
Great news about 4.5 millionaire weird dude Booth!
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

Haha - nice for Sauve

Rogers Arena (Utica) to the Prudential Center - 237 miles, about a 3 hour drive down I90 and I87 South!

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Remember when Torts said he was going to carry seven defensemen? He now has NINE.

Seriously though, my bet is that Torts is going to play Booth at defense to learn him some more about trying harder, or something. Sauve and Weber will then draw in at forward.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Calling up Yann Sauve was "cap planning" according to Torts. Whatever that means...
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

herb wrote:Calling up Yann Sauve was "cap planning" according to Torts. Whatever that means...
The best of the cheapest in Utica? I guess Dalpe really was waived then.
The only HW the Canucks need
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Sauve actually has the most expensive contract of anyone on the Coments except for Eriksson and Cannata.

I am guessing this move has something to do with putting us over the cap ceiling so we can start using LTIR (ie. he is being called up as a "replacement player"); right now Capgeek has us at just $372,805 in available space without Sauve.

I'm a little rusty with this stuff but I've seen others claim that getting as close to the upper limit as possible prior to placing a player on LTIR maximizes the exemption we get once that player is placed on that list. Makes sense..
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Yup just some Gilman magic.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

dbr wrote: I'm a little rusty with this stuff but I've seen others claim that getting as close to the upper limit as possible prior to placing a player on LTIR maximizes the exemption we get once that player is placed on that list. Makes sense..
Yep. The closer we get to the cap before placing someone on LTIR, the more space we can exceed the cap when LTIR takes effect.

So if we're $1M under the cap when we put Player X making $2M on LTIR, we only get to exceed the cap by $1M. But if we're only 100K under the cap, we can exceed it by $1.9M. Or something like that...
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Post by JelloPuddingPop »

I'm just not sure why? With our roster set, why do we need extra LTIR relief? I don't understand the implications of this - as I understand it, when Burrows returns that relief is no longer applicable? Are we making room for more call ups if necessary?

Can anyone enlighten?
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

JelloPuddingPop wrote:I'm just not sure why? With our roster set, why do we need extra LTIR relief? I don't understand the implications of this - as I understand it, when Burrows returns that relief is no longer applicable? Are we making room for more call ups if necessary?

Can anyone enlighten?
I don't know the circumstances, but IIRC there is no set rule re: individuals replacing cap space, so you don't have to designate an individual to replace the LTIR player (so Sauve doesn't have to be designated as Burrows' replacement). So if we call up a guy like Sauve now, place Burrows on LTIR, we can then demote Sauve and bring up one or more players because we have that LTIR space established.

If we have $300K in cap space today, bringing up Corrado ($591K) only gets us $291K of LTIR space. Bringing up Sauve ($708K) gives us $408K. Not sure why it matter so much, because that couple-hundred K probably won't get us a warm body at this point in the season.

Again, I could be wrong in all this, but it might be what Gilman is doing...
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Post by JelloPuddingPop »

Thanks, that makes sense. Still strange though
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

And just like that, Sauve has been sent down. Pelletier and Archibald have been called up. It would be Archibald's first NHL game if he played tomorrow.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Well at least we have some forwards to play. Wonder if they rush Burrows back.
The only HW the Canucks need
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Based upon Burrows' interview yesterday, I get the sense he'll be playing tonight.