OOTS: 2013-14

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: OOTS: 2013-14

Post by BurningBeard »

Man, the Rangers suuuuuu-uck. Losing to New Jersey 4-0 today makes them, I believe, the worst team in the league in goals for and second or third worst in goals against.

I almost feel sorry for Vigneault. He's got Pyatt playing on the top line now FFS.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

BurningBeard wrote:Man, the Rangers suuuuuu-uck. Losing to New Jersey 4-0 today makes them, I believe, the worst team in the league in goals for and second or third worst in goals against.

I almost feel sorry for Vigneault. He's got Pyatt playing on the top line now FFS.
It's almost unthinkable, but could Vigneault's tried and true, stick to our gameplan and let it happen, approach is not working in a league where the officials favor the team that goes out to take it?
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Mëds wrote:It's almost unthinkable, but could Vigneault's tried and true, stick to our gameplan and let it happen, approach is not working in a league where the officials favor the team that goes out to take it?
Or maybe his "let the leaders lead" philosophy won't work with a team who's used to being coached by Torts. Who's going to lead that team with Callahan out anyhow? Lundqvist, Staal, Richards?
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I think NYR are simply not as good as pundits talk about. Like any new system or coach there is a learning curve so I'd still give AV time. He is a good coach and under him we had some of the best years in franchise history, not in spite of him. But like most systems and coaches there must be an evolution and that to me was his weakness. He could not evolve from season to season, series to series, game to game, period to period. His message was simply tired here.

But I must admit I listen to every presser Torts gives and I have been surprised at how calm he has been, how positive he has been, how defensive he is for his players not yet throwing anyone under the bus. Could it be this is a new Torts or is it more likely that all the media allowed us to see before was his blow ups thereby convincing us all he was a hot head who beat up on his players? You can sense everyone is waiting for it, almost with gleeful anticipation but to date his pressers have been refreshing. Early days I know but I is beginning to think there is more to the man than the media wanted us to see.

But back to AV, I appreciate what he brought to the Canucks and wish him well. But it was time to move on, a year too late IMHO, but better late than never, ask Nashville. Now there is a team with a very good coach but one I think could use a new voice.
The only HW the Canucks need
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote:
But I must admit I listen to every presser Torts gives and I have been surprised at how calm he has been, how positive he has been, how defensive he is for his players not yet throwing anyone under the bus. Could it be this is a new Torts or is it more likely that all the media allowed us to see before was his blow ups thereby convincing us all he was a hot head who beat up on his players? You can sense everyone is waiting for it, almost with gleeful anticipation but to date his pressers have been refreshing. Early days I know but I is beginning to think there is more to the man than the media wanted us to see.
I have seen several Torts pressers from days gone by in which he was VERY defensive of his players. If he felt the need to call someone out he would, but he NEVER let the media do it.

The guy is also nobody's fool. He knows this team needs to learn a new way of approaching their game. He also knows, despite his continual references to still figuring these guys out, that some of these guys are going to take more time to come around, and that some of them will simply not respond to the brow-beating, bus throwing, megalomaniac, style of coaching.
HW wrote: But back to AV, I appreciate what he brought to the Canucks and wish him well. But it was time to move on, a year too late IMHO, but better late than never, ask Nashville. Now there is a team with a very good coach but one I think could use a new voice.
I don't think Nashville would ever be a playoff team without Trotz. The guy does more with less than anyone. Nashville needs to figure out how to attract top players and keep high end skill (Weber and Rinne excepted) before they can go hiring a coach who wants his guys to play a system that puts pucks in the net more often.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Wow..Detroit goes up 2 zip..then lose 5-2 over phoenix. With smith getting a goal just to rub it in..
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:The Haves

Sharks 4 Nucks 1
Sharks 4 Nucks 1
Habs 4 Nucks 1

The Have Nots

Nucks 4 Oilers 1
Nucks 5 Flames 4
Nucks 3 Devils 2
Nucks 3 Flyers 2

Hmmmmm
Yeah, that stat needs to change if we're going to go anywhere post season; but at least we're winning the games we "should" win right now. The past couple of seasons the country club boys didn't show up for a lot of the "easier" games and only seemed interested when it was a contender they were facing. Still really early, but I like some of the character that seems to be (re)emerging with this team.

Pittsburgh will be the next litmus test.
Think we passed the test Eddie.. and all secondary scoring.
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

This Domenic Roussel of Dallas is a good middleweight scrapper in the mould of Rick Rypien. Was hoping that Mallet would be our next Rypper.... ain't looking like it so far

Looks like Seth Jones is proving why he should have gone 1st overall.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

From this past draft, you could see it in Seth's face that he was quite pissed at not being selected 1st.....let alone, the top 3.

He's playing like a guy that is on a mission to prove his detractors wrong.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The Brown Knight wrote:From this past draft, you could see it in Seth's face that he was quite pissed at not being selected 1st.....let alone, the top 3.

Brown K. Seth Jones could very well be the NHL's best defenceman for the next decade.

The Mericans have some good young D. Trouba seems to be the real deal as well.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

RoyalDude wrote:
The Brown Knight wrote:From this past draft, you could see it in Seth's face that he was quite pissed at not being selected 1st.....let alone, the top 3.

Brown K. Seth Jones could very well be the NHL's best defenceman for the next decade.

For sure.

Seth Jones is the real deal. I could see why Nathan MacKinnon was selected first, but was really shocked that Seth dropped all the way to fourth. No way that should have happened.

Nashville got a fucking steal, no doubt.

The Dark Indian Rises
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

The Brown Knight wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:

For sure.

Seth Jones is the real deal. I could see why Nathan MacKinnon was selected first, but was really shocked that Seth dropped all the way to fourth. No way that should have happened.

Nashville got a fucking steal, no doubt.

How about that Monahan kid - 6 goals in 8 games. I'm loving this pick by the Flames. :D
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

BCExpat wrote: How about that Monahan kid - 6 goals in 8 games. I'm loving this pick by the Flames. :D
He's playing well, no doubt.

The Dark Indian Rises
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

BCExpat wrote:

How about that Monahan kid - 6 goals in 8 games. I'm loving this pick by the Flames. :D
Has franchise player written all over him. Not sure what 2013 draft class rook has been better him or Jones.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Wiebo Ludwig wrote:This Domenic Roussel of Dallas is a good middleweight scrapper in the mould of Rick Rypien.

No he isn't.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”