GDT Oct 22 Canucks @ Islanders Snet-P

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Arachnid
CC Legend

Re: GDT Oct 22 Canucks @ Islanders Snet-P

Post by Arachnid »

Hockey Widow wrote:So we get 7 out of a possible 10 points so far on this road trip and RD wants to come here and gloat about Booth being benched?

Even if we drop the last two that is a .500 road trip, one that a lot of people were saying either we would be lucky to accomplish or would be a sign of a successful road trip given a new coach new system blah blah blah.

A sloppy game, poor team defence and yet we score 5 goals, by 5 different players and yet RD still wants to be the nay sayer.

Santorelli and Richardson so far have been good pick ups. Long season yet but those two along with Stanton are success stories. Perhaps by the half way mark a different picture will emerge but for now I am impressed with the three of them.

Hansen's injury did not look good. No word yet but I'm guessing 4-6 weeks. That way I can be pleased if it is less :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I admit it, I like high scoring games. Screw defence, screw goaltending. Give me goals.
Can you imagine being married to the poor sod? :look:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Sloppy game as others have noted. Ugly defense, officiating and goaltending...take the two points and run!

Still early on, but enough can't be said about Santorelli, Richardson and Stanton who have been very strong additions. Santorelli had more ice time than Hank and Dank tonight.

Speaking of Hank, he continues to look like he hasn't aged a bit...looks younger out there than last year actually. He seems a bit quicker and to be playing with more physicality. It has been an impressive start to the year for our captain. Lock him up.

Kesler played nearly half the game. I would still like to see some better heads up plays and decision making in the offensive zone, but he seems to be rounding into form.

Another strong game from The Journeyman.

Kassian seems to be putting things together a bit, but he still seems too cautious or maybe tentative is the right word. I liked his work on the non-goal. I just want him to take the puck to the net while dragging a defender or two...he looks for the pass a bit too often.

Welsh quietly played over 11 minutes tonight and seems to be doing a lot of things right. Maybe that fourth round pick wasn't a waste after all! :?:

I hope Hansen isn't hurt too badly. With Hansen, Burrows and Schroeder out we're down three of our top nine projected forwards from the start of the season. It sounds like Burrows may be back within a few days.

3-1-1 so far on the seven game roadie with one the OTL being a game we should have won...not too shabby. The next two games will be tough. Torts' Canucks have me cautiously optimistic...
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

herb wrote:Sloppy game as others have noted. Ugly defense, officiating and goaltending...take the two points and run!
Goaltending was better than the score suggests. Luongo was piss poor on the 3rd goal, but he had no chance on the 2nd and 4th. The first goal I'd have to watch again, but that was pretty much just a hockey play where he got beat.

Defense could definitely have been better. One knock I have on the Tortorella block everything mentality is the what can result.....and we saw that on the 4th goal. A good shot block by Tanev, he got in the lane and did what his coach wants. But the system forgets a critical part of goaltending.....goalies react to rebounds by feel as much, if not more, than by sight. When a goaltender see's a puck coming in from the point and he's in position to make the save, he can control the rebound, and failing that, he can react to the rebound. When he doesn't see the puck coming in, and he's in position, he can react and prepare for the second attempt because he feels where the puck hits him and can extrapolate somewhat. When the puck suddenly stops and changes direction, the goaltender is screwed when it comes sideways out of a scrum of players and over to a player on the open side of the net. It's made worse when the scrum is nearly on top of the goaltender. I like the overall philosophy behind the block every shot approach, but I think that the defenders should be getting in the lanes, and when they can't get out to block the point shot tie up the attacking forwards' sticks and let Louie or Lack see the puck and make the save. Block the forwards shots and take away those lanes down low, but don't crash in and try to block the shot two feet in front of the crease.

Officiating is getting worse and worse. I wonder how long it goes on before every network starts to comment on the disparity of PP chances against Vancouver when they are covering a Canucks game. I wonder if the league will take note and actually say something to the officials to save even a modicum of face......I doubt it.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Mëds wrote:Goaltending was better than the score suggests. Luongo was piss poor on the 3rd goal, but he had no chance on the 2nd and 4th. The first goal I'd have to watch again, but that was pretty much just a hockey play where he got beat.
Luo was fine, but I thought Nabokov was bad on our fourth and fifth goals.

The first goal was Alberts first shift, and of course he blew his coverage. :lol:
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Yah they said canucks are last in penalties for vs against...
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

rats19 wrote:Yah they said canucks are last in penalties for vs against...
They may be getting more penalties then their opponents, but they're also one of the least penalized teams in the league in terms of PIM/game (they're in the bottom 10).
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

BurningBeard wrote:
They may be getting more penalties then their opponents, but they're also one of the least penalized teams in the league in terms of PIM/game (they're in the bottom 10).
Alright, now you have me thinking about it, and of course that stat isn't published, so I made this.

All the stats are from NHL.com except for DIF - that's obviously the difference between PP Opp (Total Power Play Opportunities) and TS (Total Times Short Handed).

So, we're on the loosing end of the stick on that stat, but not nearly as bad off as Ottawa. San Jose is looking good I see. That's... interesting, and maybe just the product of playing really good hockey. I don't know what that tells us to be honest.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I thought Luongo was fine, not great all game but good enough. He did make some incredible games and three of the goals were defensive gaffs, well all four if you count Tanev failing to clear. But Luongo only let in one questionable goal. He made some great stops that allowed us to get the two points. Nabokov was bad. Obviously when you give up five goals to an offensively challenged team that's bad.

Our whole team defence was bad tonight. They were very sloppy from the opening face off. But offensively we rolled three lines and got scoring from all lines. We had a decent fore heck going and won a lot of board battles.

Kassian had, I think, another very good game. His non goal was all muscle and some skill thrown in. The goal should have been called back and it was but that does not take away from his effort. He looked a little gassed in the D zone in the third period but other than that I thought he had a solid game and is getting better. Don't give up on him yet folks I think he is a Bert in the making, just not as much hockey sense as Bert but more heart.

Kesler and Higgins both had solid games. I'm liking Kesler more and more as a winger. Too bad we don't have enough centres on the team to make it a permanent move.

Juice had a great game, best D'man with Garrison a close second.

One thing for sure though this defensive effort won't get us any points from top tier teams, all of whom have better goaltending than the NYI. But if we can steal 2 from NJD and have a solid game against St. Louis I'll be satisfied with this road trip. And think about it, we should have had two in Pittsburg and came close to getting at least a point in Columbus, just ask Higgins :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Did anyone hear Tort's post-game comment about needing more gunslingers; and that Bieksa "is a gunslinger. He has IT". I guess he's a fan :)
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

BurningBeard wrote:
BurningBeard wrote:
Alright, now you have me thinking about it, and of course that stat isn't published, so I made this.

http://i.imgur.com/eH7UR3W.jpg

All the stats are from NHL.com except for DIF - that's obviously the difference between PP Opp (Total Power Play Opportunities) and TS (Total Times Short Handed).

So, we're on the loosing end of the stick on that stat, but not nearly as bad off as Ottawa. San Jose is looking good I see. That's... interesting, and maybe just the product of playing really good hockey. I don't know what that tells us to be honest.
It's a bit early to be jumping to conclusions about this. Ottawa and Vancouver have 44 and 39 times shorthanded, respectively, so three or four calls different and you're talking about a 10% swing.

Also, Ottawa is surrendering something like 38 shots against for every 60 minutes of even strength play and while the advanced stats aren't nearly as damning you have to expect that they have spent a considerable amount of time chasing the play so far this season (and their 3-3-2 record doesn't really lead me to believe it's an exceptional situation - like say they've been playing with the lead and getting outshot the majority of the time).

What's interesting though is that Ottawa and Vancouver are actually pretty decent possession teams (both top 10 in Corsi %, Vancouver is 9th overall in Fenwick %, this is all at even strength btw) so you wouldn't really expect them to be chasing the play.

All this being said I am so jaded with NHL officiating both in game and at the supplementary level that I simply don't expect a fair shake - but it will be interesting to see whether these trends persist beyond the midseason mark, or whether it is merely a couple of teams working out early season kinks (and at the other end of the spectrum, one team obliterating its competition).
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

I almost felt bad for Alberts...he only played one 37 second shift last night, where he badly blew his defensive coverage leading directly to the Islanders first goal. He never played again after that.

But then again I remember how he is making several hundred grand to practice hockey and travel, and my feeling bad for him went away.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Oh, anybody else think Nielsen's elbow to Kesler's head was the definition of a "blindside hit to the head"?
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I'm having trouble getting a clear picture from these GDTs about how we look. I haven't been able to watch a game in a couple of weeks and from what I gather we aren't actually playing that well.

So can someone give me a better idea of what's going on?

Seems to be shitty goaltending smattered in with the occasional brilliant save, very shoddy team defense yet leading the league in points from the back end, plenty of shots albeit not necessarily so many from the prime scoring areas, weak finishing an our asses being saved by great play from Santorelli, Hank, Richardson and Stanton...

I get to see the next 3 games but what's the honest truth here...do we suck or not??
If you need air...call it in
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Uncle dans leg wrote:I get to see the next 3 games but what's the honest truth here...do we suck or not??
We do not suck. A few things still have to go right before we’re back to being a top team in this league, but things seem to be moving in the right direction, as opposed to stagnating like they were the past two seasons. The game against Pittsburgh was very encouraging (we totally dominated, but made a couple of errors which cost us).

Generally, the team is enjoyable to watch. Not because they are executing all that well, but they are in every game and the effort is generally better than their opponents. There is absolutely none of that we didn’t show up crap but still expected to win from AV’s last two seasons here.

Hank is playing great. Kesler and Dank seem to be coming around. Higgins, Bieksa and Garrison have had excellent starts. As has been noted, Santorelli, Stanton and Richardson have been great additions thus far. Our other players have had mixed personal results.

Luongo has played well, and his shitty save percentage and GAA are more the victim of a handful of bad defensive gaffs each game.

I guess some of the “ifs” from the beginning of the season do not seem as big as they did then. Luongo and Hank will be fine (no obvious signs of advancing age). It looks like Kesler will still be a productive top six player. Garrison has really stepped up, and the defensive unit looks promising. If Santorelli and Richardson can continue to be reliable top nine forwards, and Kassian continues to come around, it could be an interesting year for sure.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

herb wrote: It looks like Kesler will still be a productive top six player.
This^

Kesler needs to be our absolute best player for this team to go anywhere in my opinion. Him at wing to me feels very strange. Whats up with this?
If you need air...call it in