GDT OCT 19 Canucks vs Sid the Squid 10:00 AM

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: GDT OCT 19 Canucks vs Sid the Squid 10:00 AM

Post by Southern_Canuck »

Benjo wrote:I remember a lot of posters on here being pissed at the team for sitting on leads under AV. I like the idea of the boys trying to step on their neck instead of getting complacent. It was a good rush and Lu didn't track the rebound.
Another way to look at it was that it was an unsuccessful pinch just after gaining a lead against a Stanley Cup contender in their building that caused an odd man rush that resulted in the tying goal...

Sure, a 3 on 2 is usually a "good rush", but it didn't need to happen right then, IMO.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

The Canucks played a very solid 4 line game. MAF kept the game close, credit where credit is due. Even though we out played them we needed some puck luck ie goal posts. Without those post we could have ground ourselves in a Montreal type game, out playing a team but down 2-3 goals.

However, without MAF we could easily have been up a few too.

A good early game. Would have loved the two points but I am glad for the one. Tomorrow will be a bigger challenge being back to back against a team we usually take lightly.

Good road trip so far.
The only HW the Canucks need
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

The Canucks had become too easy to play against under AV. It's good to see the Canucks pressing the play, & being the aggressor instead of sitting back more. Yet, there's always room for improvement, & that's good, because the team is still gelling/improving under Torts.

Although Edler had a reasonably good game, he also had some gaffs. We've seen much worse. Lets hope Torts can coach him to the next level.

Playing this aggressive system requires more energy, & depth, so it's a good thing Gillis' additions have worked out better than expected
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Anyone have any word on the JS injury?
The only HW the Canucks need
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Torts just said they'll call up someone from Utica and go from there, so he's likely out for a couple of games at least. Poor luck, because I thought he was starting to find his way out there on the 3rd line.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Lots to like about this game, minus the fact they didn't get the 2 points.

I like Torts' penchant for line-juggling in the sense that it keeps the opposition guessing how any given line is going to play. Everybody seemed to have caught on how the Twins would play, and even they would say their acts were getting stale. Splitting them up gives two lines a play-making forward instead of having both of them on the same line. As well, it gives the guys more experience playing with different line-mates so the learning curve is not so steep when injuries, etc force lines to switch up.

Kassian appears to be building on his game in Buffalo, which is good to see. Nice to see him out-muscle Paul Martin to get the puck, though he should have driven the net at that point. Let's see if he gets satisfied with himself and coasts. I'm willing to bet Torts will be in his ear between now and Columbus to make sure it doesn't happen.

I don't mind the fact the guys stayed aggressive after Kassian's goal - even if it led to the tying goal. I was never a fan of sitting on leads. Edler still needs to refine his decision-making on when to pinch but I'm sure Torts won't give him too much shit over it.

Probably deserved a better fate, but 5 out of 6 points ain't bad.

...on to Columbus.

Hate the League.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Officiating was shit. When a team so thoroughly dominates a game 5-on-5 the way Vancouver did tonight, that team usually has the edge in PP's.....they almost never are the recipients of only one man advantage while killing off 4 penalties. There were several non-calls that had me scratching my head. But I suppose the NHL has to make sure Sid always has a chance.

Richardson is proving to be a very nice addition to the bottom 6. 3 goals in 9 games and a +3. Pretty good for a 4th line guy.....hell, he has more goals than Daniel.

Bummer about Schroeder.....he was just getting back.

Kassian with back-to-back strong games.

Hamhuis is in a real funk.

I kinda wish Hansen had a bit more awareness in the offensive zone. So many times he out works his check, wins the race to the puck, or gains the zone with speed, but doesn't see a wide open teammate in a scoring position. Good thing he's so good in other areas.

Clearly this team still needs work in the shootout.

A good game, just wasn't meant to be.
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Enjoyed this one.. Exciting game start to finish. Fleury held them in it for 2 periods.. Other than the Blooper goal by Edler. :).. Great game by Crosby.. A tie game and no way are we winning a skills competition against Malkin, Crosby and company.. Nice to see 3rd and 4th line goals .. Kassian keeps improving and Richardson/Weise looked good too.. Something wrong with Danny? Just doesn't look sharp on his shots..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Tiger wrote:Enjoyed this one.. Exciting game start to finish. Fleury held them in it for 2 periods.. Other than the Blooper goal by Edler. :).. Great game by Crosby.. A tie game and no way are we winning a skills competition against Malkin, Crosby and company.. Nice to see 3rd and 4th line goals .. Kassian keeps improving and Richardson/Weise looked good too.. Something wrong with Danny? Just doesn't look sharp on his shots..
I think the last couple of playoff exits have really rattled Daniel's confidence.....and more than just his, probably a few others too.

He hasn't been the same player since Duncan "Elbow Drop" Keith knocked him silly and only got 5 games in what was a VERY clear premeditated elbow to the head.

He was also beyond pissed off at the penalty call on him in that last game against the Sharks.

I think both him and Henrik are a bit disillusioned with the NHL at this point.....inconsistent officiating, poor review process with poorer enforcement. They play clean hockey, they get completely abused by opponents, and it often goes uncalled.

Daniel has always struck me as being the twin who lets his emotions effect him more. He'll snap out of it if he can score a goal or two soon. It would also help if he just pulled the trigger more often.
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

Good game today,liking the aggressive style of play. Damn,could have won a tidy sum of money if I would of bet some the naysayers on this board that the nucks would have 5 out of 6 points on this brutal road trip. Come on people, we got a point out of arguably the toughest barn to play in.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Mëds wrote:I kinda wish Hansen had a bit more awareness in the offensive zone. So many times he out works his check, wins the race to the puck, or gains the zone with speed, but doesn't see a wide open teammate in a scoring position. Good thing he's so good in other areas.
Yeah, Hansen has been working his ass off so far this season, but he keeps making bonehead plays which just kill the play in the offensive zone. Hopefully he'll open his eyes to the better options when he has the puck, but you can't ask for much better out of a 3rd-liner at his price.

Hate the League.
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Mëds wrote:Hamhuis is in a real funk.
Really? I think there's an upward process in his game. At least he dared to let some hammers out which had goal mark on it. Imo he's getting over his hernia problems.

Go Canucks, we have a good t :mrgreen: eam.
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Southern_Canuck wrote: Nah, it was Edler - watch the replay.
Oops! Good call.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

First full game I saw in a while and really liked what I saw.

It would of been nice to see them hold a lead for a little longer.