I can't believe it's NOT a suspension!

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

I can't believe it's NOT a suspension!

Post by Meds »

We always rant about the bullshit discipline handed down by Shannahan and the Nitwits Hockey League, but I figured why not a place for the WTF head scratching times where there is no supplemental discipline and the media seems to have been handed a gag order by the NHL regarding the play in question.

I think it should be obvious that this has been sparked by Brent Burns' hit on Brendan Morrow last night in St. Louis.

Most of the sporting news sites I've been checking out aren't even touching on that hit, the entire focus is on Lapierre's hit on Boyle, and obviously it looks much worse when a guy has to leave the game on a stretcher, but Boyle is apparently feeling OK according to San Jose coach Todd McLellan.

My take on Burns hit is that it was actually a far more dangerous play than Lapierre's hit on Boyle. Boyle was heads up ice as he went took possession of the puck, he was looking right at Lapierre coming in on the forecheck, Boyle than button hooks sharper than Mason Raymond ever did, and turns his back right along the boards. Lapierre then makes contact from behind and hits Boyle into the boards. Boyle had the puck and knew that Lap was coming, Lap didn't even smoke him that hard, he just made contact and pushed him into the boards in a rub the guy out kind of way. Momentum did the rest and Lap's poor decision resulted in a play that was needlessly bad. Lap gets 5 for boarding and a game misconduct. But later in the same game we see something similar, and IMHO a helluvalot worse. Morrow did NOT have possession of the puck, he was completely unaware that Burns was coming in to check him because Burns came from the back side as Morrow was going for a loose puck. Burns then puts the shoulder into him FROM BEHIND and then follows through with his arms and tosses him head first 6 feet into the side boards. This warranted only a 2 minute boarding penalty. What the FUCK is the NHL thinking here? Maybe Morrow didn't get hit right in the numbers, but it was damned close. No, Morrow didn't go off on a stretcher, but the hit was much worse and had far more intent judging by the follow through and lack of puck possession. So I say again, WTF?!?

So, not only do the on-ice officials make two completely different rulings on what are VERY similar plays, they ignore puck possession, and they ignore the precedent that they've already set, but then the league comes along and calls no foul for Burns while Lapierre gets an in person hearing with Shannahan and Co.

Honestly, WTF is the NHL thinking?
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: I can't believe it's NOT a suspension!

Post by KeyserSoze »

rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

I find it impossibly frustrating. I see zero consistency or precedents being used in decisions. Its willy fucking nilly.

Willy=shanahan/NHL
nilly=players/fans
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Art Vandelay
CC Veteran

Post by Art Vandelay »

So you treated us to that long winded diatribe just to tell us the Burns hit was worse than the Lapierre hit. Nice, I hope you didn't type that out on your phone . Btw the Lappy hit was way worse and it will show in the suspension
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Both Burns and Lapierre are no angels for sure. Unfortunately, Morrows is not a superstar but Boyle is (cough)... Burns is a top-six forward for the Sharks and Lapierre is a fourth liner. :(
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Art Vandelay wrote:So you treated us to that long winded diatribe just to tell us the Burns hit was worse than the Lapierre hit. Nice, I hope you didn't type that out on your phone . Btw the Lappy hit was way worse and it will show in the suspension
I am sorry but I don't see the Lapierre's hit WAY WORSE than Burn's hit. Lapierre just hit Boyle at the wrong time. If Boyle did not stumble at the time of the hit, it might have been a nothing hit. On the other hand, Burns hit Morrows' number just a couple feet away from the board. To me, that was much more dangerous and intentional than Lapierre's hit.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Jovocop wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:So you treated us to that long winded diatribe just to tell us the Burns hit was worse than the Lapierre hit. Nice, I hope you didn't type that out on your phone . Btw the Lappy hit was way worse and it will show in the suspension
I am sorry but I don't see the Lapierre's hit WAY WORSE than Burn's hit. Lapierre just hit Boyle at the wrong time. If Boyle did not stumble at the time of the hit, it might have been a nothing hit. On the other hand, Burns hit Morrows' number just a couple feet away from the board. To me, that was much more dangerous and intentional than Lapierre's hit.
Vandelay is just a sock troll for someone. Don't even dignify it.
Last edited by Meds on Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Art Vandelay
CC Veteran

Post by Art Vandelay »

Mëds wrote: Vandelay is just a sock troll for someone. Don't even dignify it.
That's nice. i poke your post through its swiss cheese cover and I'm a troll just because I dont type up a 500 word essay. The fact is the league isn't even looking at the hit on Morrow because he embellished it. Lappy had all kinds of time to just nudge Boyle or do a fly by. It was a stupid, careless , unnecessary play by a guy who is known as a dirty player. He drilled him in the fucking numbers when the guy was in a vulnerable position. It doesn't matter if Boyle stumbled or not. Lappiere is a filthy player who has no respect for his opponents.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Seriously: NHL supplemental discipline has become a joke.

And I fail to see the point in seriously discussing a joke.

Makes me long for the day when players mostly policed themselves.
____
Try to focus on someday.
BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by BingoTough »

So I just found the "Add foe" feature which automatically filters out trolls. Quite useful.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

BingoTough wrote:
So I just found the "Add foe" feature which automatically filters out trolls. Quite useful.
Yeah, gotta say I finally get why Topper had his "list" back on the old site. Makes the board a much better place all around, but especially when just wanting to bounce ideas off of people and talk hockey.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Mëds wrote:
BingoTough wrote:
Yeah, gotta say I finally get why Topper had his "list" back on the old site. Makes the board a much better place all around, but especially when just wanting to bounce ideas off of people and talk hockey.
You have ideas?! :crazy:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Art Vandelay
CC Veteran

Post by Art Vandelay »

Mëds wrote:
BingoTough wrote:
I hate to break it to you but you were on the list amigo.