Re-sign the Sedins thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re-sign the Sedins?

Yes
75%
No
11%
Maybe
9%
Who gives a shit
5%

Total votes: 44

vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Re-sign the Sedins thread

Post by vic »

Tiger wrote:
vic wrote:Kesler isn't good enough to be a 1C in this league. He doesn't make the players around him better.
??? Please tell Samuelsson,Raymond,Hansen and Burrows that BS..
He hasn't had anybody on the second line worth shite for the last 2 years..
Still feel the same way Tiger?
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

vic wrote:
Tiger wrote:
vic wrote:Kesler isn't good enough to be a 1C in this league. He doesn't make the players around him better.
??? Please tell Samuelsson,Raymond,Hansen and Burrows that BS..
He hasn't had anybody on the second line worth shite for the last 2 years..
Still feel the same way Tiger?
Yep :) with Hank on the line in the 3rd period.. 2 goals.. Danny didn't get a shot on goal all game ..
Hockey widow gave out some stats : from NHL .com here are same stats for playoffs including the ones she
neglected to give.. check out the +/- on regular season and on playoffs.. great reg season stats .. but - players in the playoffs.. There best 2 seasons were 08/09 07/08 . Since then goal production has been in decline .

http://espn.go.com/nhl/player/stats/_/i ... niel-sedin
About the same for Hank.. so stats tell me we are more liable to be scored against when the Sedins are on the ice during the playoffs.. But of course anyone watching last years playoffs or the Bruins/Nucks 2011 will know that

Too bad they hadn't separated the twins earlier in their career..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Tiger wrote: Yep :) with Hank on the line in the 3rd period.. 2 goals.. Danny didn't get a shot on goal all game ..
Hockey widow gave out some stats : from NHL .com here are same stats for playoffs including the ones she
neglected to give.. check out the +/- on regular season and on playoffs.. great reg season stats .. but - players in the playoffs.. There best 2 seasons were 08/09 07/08 . Since then goal production has been in decline .

http://espn.go.com/nhl/player/stats/_/i ... niel-sedin
About the same for Hank.. so stats tell me we are more liable to be scored against when the Sedins are on the ice during the playoffs.. But of course anyone watching last years playoffs or the Bruins/Nucks 2011 will know that

Too bad they hadn't separated the twins earlier in their career..
Whoa, hold on there - are you saying that Kesler made Henrik a better player because Henrik went onto his line?

Fact is that Kelser and Higgins benefited from Henrik (a true #1C) on their line, not the other way around.

Do you really believe Santorelli (sp?) puts up the same number playing along side Kesler? Burrows becomes a 30 goal scorer playing along side Kesler?

No way Kesler puts up 41 goals that year if not for being put on the top PP with (guess who) Henrik.

Said it before, will say it again, Kesler isn't good enough to be a #1C in this league. He doesn't make the players around him better.
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

vic said :
Whoa, hold on there - are you saying that Kesler made Henrik a better player because Henrik went onto his line?

Fact is that Kelser and Higgins benefited from Henrik (a true #1C) on their line, not the other way around.

Do you really believe Santorelli (sp?) puts up the same number playing along side Kesler? Burrows becomes a 30 goal scorer playing along side Kesler?

No way Kesler puts up 41 goals that year if not for being put on the top PP with (guess who) Henrik.

Said it before, will say it again, Kesler isn't good enough to be a #1C in this league. He doesn't make the players around him better.
Nope agree with you.. but of course Kesler makes the PP work too..
and Hank is a dammm good center or wing when playing with Kesler and probably any other top players . I would like to see more of that combo. Santorelli ? 3rd liner .. and
of course its impossible to keep Hank and Kes playing on the same line.. We are too short on centers to use our 2 best ones on one line .. for your information Kesler got the most 5 on 5 goals the year he scored 41.. Not Danny.. Not Hank..
Last edited by Tiger on Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

sorry vic ;)
Burrows would score 30 with Kesler.. same as Samuelsson did.. :)

I am very impressed with Hanks play of late.. and his versatility.. just thinking
he is more valuable to the Canucks than his brother .. like to hear a few other
opinions on that ..?
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Tiger wrote:sorry vic ;)
Burrows would score 30 with Kesler.. same as Samuelsson did.. :)

I am very impressed with Hanks play of late.. and his versatility.. just thinking
he is more valuable to the Canucks than his brother .. like to hear a few other
opinions on that ..?
It's kinda hard to say really.....they have always played together when both healthy, and so far this year they have both produced when split up.

I really think that Daniel was more of the shooter/finisher by necessity and that they are really both playmakers.

I would really like to see what could happen if we rolled regular top 6 lines that had Henrik playing with some combination of two wingers (Burrows, Higgens, Booth, Kassian, Hansen), and Daniel on a line with Kesler where we saw one of those wingers on the right side.

We've all said we want to see what Kesler could do with a really good playmaker on his wing who could set him up the way St. Louis sets up Stamkos. With a coach who is willing to split up the Sedins, we have that guy already in the lineup.

I'd almost put money down on Hank and Dank both being 75-85 point playmakers on separate lines.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

All things being equal, centers are much more valuable than wingers.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Tiger wrote:sorry vic ;)
Burrows would score 30 with Kesler

No he wouldn't
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Tiger wrote:vic said :
.. for your information Kesler got the most 5 on 5 goals the year he scored 41.. Not Danny.. Not Hank..
heard a stat on the radio yesterday that he only scored 8 of those 41 goals against Playoff teams.

and FYI - Kelser scored 23 even strength goals that year, which was tied with Daniel and 1 less than Burrows.

I'm not saying Kesler isn't valuable to the team, he's very valuable. But when you compare him to the likes of other #1C, he's not in the same category.

When "shite" players can produce as a winger on Henrik's line, but do squat on Kelser's line it says something. Henrik wasn't playing on Kesler's wing, it was the other way around.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Henrik is far and away this teams most valuable skater. It showed last season when 17 was out and ineffective when he did play similar to the previous season, that 33 still carried this team to a top 3 seed. Tiger is just a mouth breathing hater who hates the twins because they don't fight. He drums up useless +/- stats to back up his weak arguements and to fuel his hate. He ignores facts that they are top 20 in ppg in the last five seasons of playoffs. If he actually watched the games he might see that a huge chunk of that weak +/- stat came when AV left Luongo in for an extra 15 goals over the 2011 playoffs and he probably should have had at least 10 of those. One wonders what Luongo's stat line (let alone the twins) may have looked like if AV had the stones to pull him out when the team was getting shelled in Boston and Chicago.

Anyone with an IQ higher than their shoe size knows the twins are the 2nd and 3rd best players this organization has ever had. You take out Henrik for forty games and this team is a lottery team. Remove Kesler for forty games and they scrape into the post season.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

I'm very impressed with the way Henrik is playing so far this year.

Daniel, on the other hand, has looked really bad.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Mëds wrote:I'd almost put money down on Hank and Dank both being 75-85 point playmakers on separate lines.
There is no fucking way the post-Keith-assault Daniel could get a PPG playing on a second line with Ryan Kesler.

The guy looks like he'd struggle to get 70 playing with his brother on the first line FFS.

I'm pretty concerned about how much he's deteriorated and I can't imagine signing him for 7 million for 2 years, let alone 4+.

Hopefully the twins are serious about wanting to win here. They've never been the greedy type and if they would extend at their current cap hit we could actually bring in some secondary scoring when the cap goes up.

Look at it this way, Hank might be worth well over six but Dank is looking like he's worth well under six, especially long term. So if they insist on being paid the same, compromise!

Six each it is, three years!

Lowball the fuck out of 'em Moneypuckster! :wink:
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

I totally agree that Hank is more valuable. To suggest otherwise would be silly IMO. I think it is likely that at some point in the future Hank will still be a first line player while Dank will no longer be. I don't think its injuries necessarily, I just think Hank is the better player. Right now, Hank looks like the guy who scored 100+ points, while his brother seems to be somewhat along for the ride.

Basically, Dank's points (PP & ES) and shooting percentage are way down since 2011. Small sample size and all that, but this year his shooting percentage is only a pretty poor 7%. I think his average over the past sixe seasons is 10%. If he gets back to 10%, and shoots at his current rate, he should score around 32 goals. If the PP gets going, that number could rise to the mid 30's or higher.

Keep in mind, the Sedins were better defensively last season and their O-zone starts dropped from nearly 80% to 66%. Also, Torts is giving these guys tons more ice time than Vigneault, which should translate into more shots for and more points.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Daniel really needs to work on his shot power the way Kesler did.

He can pick the corner with the best of them but he gets fuck-all velocity on it compared to most guys you'd expect 30+ goals from.

Alas, at this stage in his career it's very unlikely that will happen.