[GDT] Vancouver Canucks @ Philadelphia Flyers | SNET-P | 4pm

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Re: [GDT] Vancouver Canucks @ Philadelphia Flyers | SNET-P |

Postby Lancer » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:59 pm

Actually, I didn't mind Schroeder's game tonight. He didn't do anything stupid with the puck - in fact he made a couple of smart moves with the puck it's just that his wingers couldn't do anything out there. Nothing dynamic, but he didn't look out of place and I wager he can only get better after his first game in how many months???

Kassian... it's like he comes close to making the right play with the puck but he's either too slow getting there, getting outmuscled or getting pressured into doing stupid things with the puck - especially in the offensive zone. The kid needs to seriously gain a step and learn to use his body better. That said, there are few wilting willows in the Philly lineup, but still - you'd think a power forward would put more power into his game. Work in progress is about the best I can say.

Nice to see the hockey gods give one back with Kesler's first goal. Seeing Kesler on the wing with Hank centring makes me wonder if he isn't better at wing for offensive work and switched to centre if they need him to shut people down. At least until he gets his old mojo totally back. Maybe Gillis should be looking for a dishing centre vice another quasi-2nd line winger? Still, as good a night as Kesler's had in a couple of weeks but this time he gets rewarded. Same with Higgins.

Hamhuis is hanging in there, sometimes barely. Another work in progress. Tanev continues to impress me with his defensive acumen. Needs to get stronger, though, if he's going to be able to consistently deal with beefier forwards.

Hansen belonged on the 3rd line tonight. Lotsa hustle but some curious decisions with the puck. It would be interesting to see him on a line with Schroder and Booth to see what might happen.

Not a Picasso tonight, but the comeback kids notch another one. GO CANUCKS GO!!!! :thumbs:
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
User avatar
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1373
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:41 am
Location: Arnprior, Ontario

Re: [GDT] Vancouver Canucks @ Philadelphia Flyers | SNET-P |

Postby herb » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:09 pm

I only watched the game off and on. Looked like good games from Hank, Higgy, Kes, Hansen, Santorelli, Bieksa and Garrison in the stretches I saw. Luongo was fine. The hockey gods were generous with Kesler's first goal, that's for sure, but I'll take it after the Montreal goal.

Schroeder was fine. He's a smart player, and may be what the doctor ordered for the third line. It's not like we need him to put up a 20+20 season. A reliable 15 minutes per game and around 30 points would be fine.

Still not a lot of guys clicking together, but a win is a win. Nice comeback, generated largely by Chris "Journeyman" Higgins.

Edler is away for only one more game, and Burrows must be getting close. I agree with HW that this monster road trip may be a blessing in disguise. Clearly some chemistry and cohesiveness needs to be built.

Henrik Sedin now has 801 career points! :drink:
User avatar
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2365
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:17 pm
Location: Mars

Re: [GDT] Vancouver Canucks @ Philadelphia Flyers | SNET-P |

Postby herb » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:16 pm

Lancer, it's like Kassian doesn't know what to do out there. He hustles on the forecheck, but that's about it. Same old issue from last season. I'm sure the coaches work on positioning and puck support, but for some reason none of it looks natural for him. He has shown decent vision and hands, but we really haven't seen much in many games.
User avatar
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2365
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:17 pm
Location: Mars

Re: [GDT] Vancouver Canucks @ Philadelphia Flyers | SNET-P |

Postby Lancer » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:20 pm

herb wrote:Lancer, it's like Kassian doesn't know what to do out there. He hustles on the forecheck, but that's about it. Same old issue from last season. I'm sure the coaches work on positioning and puck support, but for some reason none of it looks natural for him. He has shown decent vision and hands, but we really haven't seen much in many games.


Good point. You'd figure he'd have a clue having scored like he did in Junior. Don't know what's going on between the ears, whether he doesn't know what to do out there or whether he doesn't know what he's supposed to do out there.

Work in progress... (crossing fingers)
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
User avatar
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1373
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:41 am
Location: Arnprior, Ontario

Re: [GDT] Vancouver Canucks @ Philadelphia Flyers | SNET-P |

Postby sagebrush » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:24 pm

A workman like effort. The Canucks were fortunate to win, against a struggling team.

Still, they stuck with it & were rewarded. That should help the team gain confidence in themselves & the new system.
User avatar
sagebrush
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 819
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:36 pm

Re: [GDT] Vancouver Canucks @ Philadelphia Flyers | SNET-P |

Postby herb » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:25 pm

Lancer wrote:Good point. You'd figure he'd have a clue having scored like he did in Junior. Don't know what's going on between the ears, whether he doesn't know what to do out there or whether he doesn't know what he's supposed to do out there.

Work in progress... (crossing fingers)


I would like Torts to tell him to forget about the tough guy stuff and going for the big hit and instead focus on being an effective player. Start with the simple plays and build some confidence. Fighting Schenn tonight did nothing for his game or team.
User avatar
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2365
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:17 pm
Location: Mars

Re: [GDT] Vancouver Canucks @ Philadelphia Flyers | SNET-P |

Postby Lancer » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:34 pm

herb wrote:
Lancer wrote:Good point. You'd figure he'd have a clue having scored like he did in Junior. Don't know what's going on between the ears, whether he doesn't know what to do out there or whether he doesn't know what he's supposed to do out there.

Work in progress... (crossing fingers)


I would like Torts to tell him to forget about the tough guy stuff and going for the big hit and instead focus on being an effective player. Start with the simple plays and build some confidence. Fighting Schenn tonight did nothing for his game or team.


Agreed. If anything, it lets him say to himself, "well at least I did something out there." when it didn't really do much to alter the game at all and blinds him to the fact that he was barely noticeable out there. Time to get him back to basics.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
User avatar
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1373
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:41 am
Location: Arnprior, Ontario

Re: [GDT] Vancouver Canucks @ Philadelphia Flyers | SNET-P |

Postby Hockey Widow » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:53 pm

I didn't think JS had a bad game or sucked just did not provide that something we need to allow us to roll 4 lines. But with him he gets the pass since it is his first game back, well first game altogether this season. I have high hopes for him. Not that he will break out and be a scoring machine but that he can provided that balance at centre that allows us to be more balanced.

With Kassian I get it too that this is only his second game back but his overall game seems to have slipped. Not writing him off but ya a work in progress still. I remind myself how the NYI gave up on Bert and when he was put with a centre that could pass and a skilled player his own game took off. That is the upside of Kassian and maybe it will take a few more seasons of being with some skilled guys, which he was with Booth and JS. My comments earlier we're more meant that neither player tonight showed me what I think/hope they can bring. But early days for them both.

Chemistry is lacking in a big way. Again a work in progress with learning Torts system, although I have no idea what that means.

But hey, we came from behind twice and took the lead and held it to get the 2 points. That's big in my book and much needed. The team just does not look like the 2011 team that rolled 4 lines and had swagger. Watching that team you felt safe with any lead and felt you could win any game. Never worried about being down a goal or two. Don't have that vibe yet from this team. Still hoping.
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4440
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: [GDT] Vancouver Canucks @ Philadelphia Flyers | SNET-P |

Postby herb » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:24 pm

Last season we just couldn't win if we got behind, so it's nice to see the boys win another game they were losing after two periods. I think we only had one come from behind win last season.

Really like how Torts broke up the Sedins in the third period. We were stale offensively, and Higgins with Kesler and Hank was great.
User avatar
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2365
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:17 pm
Location: Mars

Re: [GDT] Vancouver Canucks @ Philadelphia Flyers | SNET-P |

Postby Hockey Widow » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:27 pm

herb wrote:Last season we just couldn't win if we got behind, so it's nice to see the boys win another game they were losing after two periods. I think we only had one come from behind win last season.

Really like how Torts broke up the Sedins in the third period. We were stale offensively, and Higgins with Kesler and Hank was great.



I agree herb. Hank, Kesler and Higgins had a great period and I liked what they brought. Now if we can find two players that compliment Dank we will have two good scoring lines. Still need to find a third and fourth line though. No matter how we do it it is starting to look like centre will again be a sore spot.
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4440
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: [GDT] Vancouver Canucks @ Philadelphia Flyers | SNET-P |

Postby Aaronp18 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:33 pm

I really don't expect to see what this team can really do until at least the middle of November.

New coach, new system some nagging injuries and suspensions. Hopefully we can stay healthier and avoid any more suspensions. But I figure it'll take until at least mid November until the team works the system the way Torts would like, and then they gain confidence in how they're playing in order to execute properly.

Figure we'll probably flirt with .500 till around then and then make a nice little run. They will make the playoffs and then with the work ethic Torts preaches hopefully we'll see the results when it really matters.

It's a learning process right now but you can see the differences in the style and how the guys respond. I thought they were dead in the water after a horrible start to the third but they found a way to get it done.

Philly is terrible right now.
User avatar
Aaronp18
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1815
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:36 pm

Re: [GDT] Vancouver Canucks @ Philadelphia Flyers | SNET-P |

Postby Meds » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:11 am

Hockey Widow wrote:
herb wrote:Last season we just couldn't win if we got behind, so it's nice to see the boys win another game they were losing after two periods. I think we only had one come from behind win last season.

Really like how Torts broke up the Sedins in the third period. We were stale offensively, and Higgins with Kesler and Hank was great.



I agree herb. Hank, Kesler and Higgins had a great period and I liked what they brought. Now if we can find two players that compliment Dank we will have two good scoring lines. Still need to find a third and fourth line though. No matter how we do it it is starting to look like centre will again be a sore spot.


Well last time he split them up was against Calgary, and it was Dank and the Dane who found chemistry to get it done.


.....I think.
User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3524
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: [GDT] Vancouver Canucks @ Philadelphia Flyers | SNET-P |

Postby RoyalDude » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:03 am

Well...tale of the tape this year seemingly has shown us that we can beat the Have Nots but can't beat the Haves. Need more elite level talent to compete with the Haves.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4709
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: [GDT] Vancouver Canucks @ Philadelphia Flyers | SNET-P |

Postby dbr » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:07 am

RoyalDude wrote:Well...tale of the tape this year seemingly has shown us that we can beat the Have Nots but can't beat one of the Haves. Need more elite level talent to compete with one of the Haves.


FYP.. so far.
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2597
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: [GDT] Vancouver Canucks @ Philadelphia Flyers | SNET-P |

Postby RoyalDude » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:14 am

dbr wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Well...tale of the tape this year seemingly has shown us that we can beat the Have Nots but can't beat one of the Haves. Need more elite level talent to compete with one of the Haves.


FYP.. so far.


Well thankfully we've been gift wrapped with playing mostly the Have Nots in the early part of this season, got another Have Not in our sights next game.

Curious, how many mulligans do we keep giving Kassian, until this so called Phoenix rises from the ashes, you all say will happen with him, I'm parking him in the Bernier, Pyatt, Isbister category.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4709
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

PreviousNext

Return to Game Day Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest