GDT: Oct 10 - Canucks vs Habs. 19:00 HNiC

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

herb
CC Legend

Re: GDT: Oct 10 - Canucks vs Habs. 19:00 HNiC

Post by herb »

I'll say this about Gillis, I am pretty pissed off he went out and wasted assets and a roster spot on Dalpe (and I say wasted because does not look like a NHL player). This move forced Shinkaruk back to the dub, who did everything right in training camp to at least deserve a nine game audition.

I'm not saying Shinkaruk is ready, I'm saying it would have been awesome and added a bit of excitement to the early season to see him get a chance. Maybe he catches fire and scores a handful of goals. How jacked would the fan base have been then?

Alas, now we have Horvat and Shinkaruk ripping it up in the CHL (9 points in 5 games and 7 points in 4 games) and get to watch Dalpe play two fucking minutes a game. Awesome.

I didn't get to watch the whole game on Saturday, but the Canucks were dominating play in the parts I did watch.

I'm officially with Skyo. Where the fuck is Ryan Kesler? Big ego, won a Selke four years ago by RD's math, but what have you done for us lately Ryan?

On the bright side, we get to play Philly and Hodgson next.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

herb wrote:I'll say this about Gillis, I am pretty pissed off he went out and wasted assets and a roster spot on Dalpe (and I say wasted because does not look like a NHL player). This move forced Shinkaruk back to the dub, who did everything right in training camp to at least deserve a nine game audition.
I don't think this accurately describes the decision-making that went on in this case, management would have to be completely incompetent (like beyond the levels of incompetence RoyalDude projects onto them, beyond even Lowe/Tambellini levels of incompetence) to go out and acquire a player and then go oops, what were we thinking, now we have to send this 18 year old who we think earned a shot on this team back to junior.

I suspect the "nine game audition" is a thing that fans find really exciting but NHL GMs who want to win in the here and now see as a prohibitively inconvenient enterprise. You are basically committed to losing a waiver-eligible player so you can start the year with a kid who is overwhelmingly unlikely to prove that he belongs in the NHL permanently - so a kid who will be gone by December, or maybe later if you want to start the clock on his ELC and live with the growing pains or what have you.

Maybe Shinkaruk would have stuck around and lit up the league this year but I doubt it. Given the tone of the coach's feedback on his preseason ("he's trying like hell, but") I suspect his presence this year would have meant a few bright spots and a lot of inconsistency and struggles.

Although at least RoyalDude would have had to put away his "no Gillis draft picks in the lineup" hobby horse a little bit sooner.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

dbr wrote:I don't think this accurately describes the decision-making that went on in this case...
Fair enough, and it wasn’t fair of me to say acquiring Dalpe “forced” Gillis to send down Shinkaruk. I’m sure the decision to send down Hunter was made well before then, and I believe that ultimately it was the right decision. Still, it’s a helluva lot of fun in the early goings to see some new blood out there.

As a fan, I would have much rather seen Shinkaruk play a few games for the Canucks than Dalpe. As an armchair GM, after seeing Dalpe play, I don’t see what he has to offer that other players down with the Comets could not have contributed (i.e. <5 minutes of play per game).
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

So far I definitely agree.

We'll see whether Dalpe ever lives up to being worth a fourth rounder, nevermind as exciting as Shinkaruk, I am skeptical but I'll give it a season or until he is out of the organization (whichever comes sooner) to call it a failure.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

herb wrote:I'll say this about Gillis, I am pretty pissed off he went out and wasted assets and a roster spot on Dalpe (and I say wasted because does not look like a NHL player). This move forced Shinkaruk back to the dub, who did everything right in training camp to at least deserve a nine game audition.

I'm not saying Shinkaruk is ready, I'm saying it would have been awesome and added a bit of excitement to the early season to see him get a chance. Maybe he catches fire and scores a handful of goals. How jacked would the fan base have been then?

Alas, now we have Horvat and Shinkaruk ripping it up in the CHL (9 points in 5 games and 7 points in 4 games) and get to watch Dalpe play two fucking minutes a game. Awesome.

I didn't get to watch the whole game on Saturday, but the Canucks were dominating play in the parts I did watch.

I'm officially with Skyo. Where the fuck is Ryan Kesler? Big ego, won a Selke four years ago by RD's math, but what have you done for us lately Ryan?

On the bright side, we get to play Philly and Hodgson next.
:lol: All you dweeb bandwagoneers dumping on our beloved Canuckleheads not 6 games into the season. My my, is it because Laughs are planning the Cup parade route?! or you been drink'n the sea water again :evil:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Arachnid wrote: :lol: All you dweeb bandwagoneers dumping on our beloved Canuckleheads not 6 games into the season. My my, is it because Laughs are planning the Cup parade route?! or you been drink'n the sea water again :evil:
No, just thinking out loud about a rather odd move (Dalpe trade) and how our super cocky alternate captain has yet to learn that the “50 foot wrist shot into shin pad” manoeuvre is a low scoring probability play.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

herb wrote:
Arachnid wrote: :lol: All you dweeb bandwagoneers dumping on our beloved Canuckleheads not 6 games into the season. My my, is it because Laughs are planning the Cup parade route?! or you been drink'n the sea water again :evil:
No, just thinking out loud about a rather odd move (Dalpe trade) and how our super cocky alternate captain has yet to learn that the “50 foot wrist shot into shin pad” manoeuvre is a low scoring probability play.
Certified "weird dude" David Booth has been in Kesler's ear ever since 2011, telling him how he needs to gain the zone and just put something (anything) on net, something about "corsi scores" and some advanced statistics he has been reading about on the net in between posting hunting pictures..
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

Good to see that reaction to the 'own goal' isn't revealing cracks in team unity. We have enough problems.

Luongo, Oct 15.
Less Canucks embarrassment please.