GDT: Oct 10 - Canucks vs Habs. 19:00 HNiC

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Oct 10 - Canucks vs Habs. 19:00 HNiC

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Please explain to me what good Gillis has done following the Stanley Cup run 4 seasons ago?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

RoyalDude wrote:Please explain to me what good Gillis has done following the Stanley Cup run 4 seasons ago?
So what MG did before the run did not matter?

That is the problem. You only remember all those "questionable" moves but not the good ones.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

RoyalDude wrote:Please explain to me what good Gillis has done following the Stanley Cup run 4 seasons ago?
2011 was four seasons ago? :o

Aside from that though, I will have to agree.

Even though there has been some bad luck (I.e. Booth deal), Gillis has been one of the worst GM's in the league since the 2011 cup finals. It's a little shocking to me since before the 2011 playoffs, he was undoubtedly one of the best GM's in the league (even you must admit this RD........but as far as post 2011 playoffs go, I'm with you 100%).
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

For some reason our compete disappeared after that own goal. The Habs totally dominated the third, two different games.

Maybe they can find the switch to flip while on this epic team building road trip, eh Dude?
The only HW the Canucks need
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

The goal.

Less Canucks embarrassment please.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The Brown Knight wrote:

2011 was four seasons ago? :o
Yes Brown K

This season - 1
Last season - 2
Season before(Kings win Cup) - 3
Canucks Cup Run season - 4

As you can see, the nostalgia for some unknown fucking reason overshadows the shite job Gillis has done since and for some weird reason ingratiates himself with a select fan base (here) even though the core group who went to the finals 4 seasons ago was put in place by previous mgmts

But hey, now that the core group is near done we are finally able to see Gillis for what he is, which ain't much. Proof is in the pudding
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Jovocop wrote:
So what MG did before the run did not matter?

That is the problem. You only remember all those "questionable" moves but not the good ones.
So because Gillis rode the coattails of some of the fine work previous mgmt put in place to get to the Finals 4 seasons ago buys him a job as a GM of the Canucks for as long as he wants without consequence from bad decisions made since?
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Ya see RD ya fix the 3rd line center spot, it automatically enables Kesler and whatever wingers he has to concentrate more on offense, not to mention having a more complete 3rd line that can attack helps a shit load for a lack of a better term.

Reason being Torts seems to just play 3 lines and 2 D pairs mostly.

Might as well stack those lines!
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Where I have come to reluctantly agree with RD is that Gillis has been fixated on the bottom six while harbouring the belief that the top six are good enough. The reality is that we have, including the twins and because of the twins, always had a top 4-5, never a top six.

This was the year to integrate youth from within and MG got cold feet. More pluggers, bottom six signings and last minute trades and waiver pick ups have prevented this infusion of home grown talent. This was the year to figure out if we had enough in the organization but instead we will be here next training camp with the same questions.

MG has been looking for a third line centre since Manny got hurt. He has been looking for a top six scorer since he took over the team. We are not a contender folks. Oh sure we can play better and we can go on streaks but the bottom line is that we do not match up with the top 10 teams in the league. Yes Luongo is capable of putting up some good numbers and carrying the team but we don't have the talent or depth to be considered in the top 10 anymore.

I have now crossed over to the dark side and believe MG needs to go. But I won't make every post about that or flog a dead horse. I still see the positives and knowing the season is still young will hold out hope but I think it is time for a change of management.
darren
CC Veteran

Post by darren »

RoyalDude wrote:
The Brown Knight wrote: 2011 was four seasons ago? :o
Yes Brown K

This season - 1 (one season ago)
Last season - 2 (two seasons ago)
Season before(Kings win Cup) - 3 (three seasons ago)
Canucks Cup Run season - 4 (four seasons ago)
So... THIS SEASON is "one season ago"?? :roll:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

darren wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
The Brown Knight wrote: 2011 was four seasons ago? :o
Yes Brown K

This season - 1 (one season ago)
Last season - 2 (two seasons ago)
Season before(Kings win Cup) - 3 (three seasons ago)
Canucks Cup Run season - 4 (four seasons ago)
So... THIS SEASON is "one season ago"?? :roll:
:lol:

It's called "Dude Math" Darwin!

And the following is called "Dude English"...
Per wrote:
RoyalDude wrote: the Flames have a great young player in the fold whom seemingly has superstar potential written all over him
You mean who.
And English is Per's second language! :D

Or was it third language...

Blame the demon Alcohol!

Dude would probably tell you he makes up for it all with his warm personality. :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote: I have now crossed over to the dark side and believe MG needs to go. But I won't make every post about that or flog a dead horse.
No because that would make you a wretched self-loathing troll amirite? :mex:

Yours truly called for AV's head ALL summer of 2012 but shut up about it when the puck dropped.

Just as yours truly promised yours truly would.

I think it's great that some of us make decisions based on what is good for the board

... rather than making it all about "ME ME ME". :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Strangelove wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: I have now crossed over to the dark side and believe MG needs to go. But I won't make every post about that or flog a dead horse.
No because that would make you a wretched self-loathing troll amirite? :mex:

Yours truly called for AV's head ALL summer of 2012 but shut up about it when the puck dropped.

Just as yours truly promised yours truly would.

I think it's great that some of us make decisions based on what is good for the board

... rather than making it all about "ME ME ME". :thumbs:
We are all Canucks :mex: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Go Green Go!
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

I don't even know what to think anymore.

I am a little tired of this team and core players.

I will wait and see how they are doing at the 20 game mark and hope for the best.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote:Where I have come to reluctantly agree with RD is that Gillis has been fixated on the bottom six while harbouring the belief that the top six are good enough. The reality is that we have, including the twins and because of the twins, always had a top 4-5, never a top six.

This was the year to integrate youth from within and MG got cold feet. More pluggers, bottom six signings and last minute trades and waiver pick ups have prevented this infusion of home grown talent. This was the year to figure out if we had enough in the organization but instead we will be here next training camp with the same questions.

MG has been looking for a third line centre since Manny got hurt. He has been looking for a top six scorer since he took over the team. We are not a contender folks. Oh sure we can play better and we can go on streaks but the bottom line is that we do not match up with the top 10 teams in the league. Yes Luongo is capable of putting up some good numbers and carrying the team but we don't have the talent or depth to be considered in the top 10 anymore.

I have now crossed over to the dark side and believe MG needs to go. But I won't make every post about that or flog a dead horse. I still see the positives and knowing the season is still young will hold out hope but I think it is time for a change of management.
The only defense against any of what you have said HW is the lockout and new CBA. Gillis bought himself time by firing AV, he also has wiggle room because of the lockout. Our hole at the 3rd C spot is a tough one to fill when you are already at the cap with just a few re-signings. From a fans standpoint it is VERY frustrating because I want to see what Gillis can/will do in an off-season where we know changes need to be made and when he actually has some cash to throw around at available players.

As for his re-signings etc. Some good, some bad.....WAY TOO MANY NO TRADE CLAUSES.

I'm also starting to think that maybe the time is coming when Gillis needs to shop Kesler. If he's not going to be used to shutdown the opponent's top line then he's being wasted. If he is expected to carry the puck in and think score first and try and play above his head, then he's being mishandled.