Vancouver Canucks hire coach John Tortorella

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Vancouver Canucks hire coach John Tortorella

Post by BladesofSteel »

Healy managed to do that all by himself. But Friedman's comment certainly made things interesting.

*Edit* Welcome to the bored, by the way.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

BladesofSteel wrote:Healy managed to do that all by himself. But Friedman's comment certainly made things interesting.

*Edit* Welcome to the bored, by the way.
Agreed.

It was nice to see Friedman put Healy in his place. I do find it interesting that Ron McLean didn't exactly discourage Healy from saying that.......and in a way, sort of prompted Healy to make the comment. PJ Stock tried to add a little gasoline to the fire as well.

And thanks! Glad to be here.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

I almost thought Healy was joking, but no..he was serious what an ass....
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

rats19 wrote:I almost thought Healy was joking, but no..he was serious what an ass....
Just gives further notion to the theory that CBC has it in for Vancouver.

Regardless though, the joke turned out to be on Healy in the end as Friedman completely owned him.

The Dark Indian Rises
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

The Brown Knight wrote:
rats19 wrote: I almost thought Healy was joking, but no..he was serious what an ass....

Regardless though, the joke turned out to be on Healy in the end as Friedman completely owned him.
Welcome Brownie, have you read the transcript:

viewtopic.php?p=182692#p182692

Seriously, wot a JOKE the CBC panel has become amirite?

PJ Stock rambling on and on...

Can anyone think of ANY reason he said "Montreal" in the middle of all that?? :lol:

And as mentioned, Healy making a major ass out of himself. :roll:

THESE GUYS "get paid for opinions"?? :crazy:
____
Try to focus on someday.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Strangelove wrote:
The Brown Knight wrote:
rats19 wrote: I almost thought Healy was joking, but no..he was serious what an ass....

Welcome Brownie, have you read the transcript:

viewtopic.php?p=182692#p182692

Seriously, wot a JOKE the CBC panel has become amirite?

PJ Stock rambling on and on...

Can anyone think of ANY reason he said "Montreal" in the middle of all that?? :lol:

And as mentioned, Healy making a major ass out of himself. :roll:

THESE GUYS "get paid for opinions"?? :crazy:
Thank you for the warm welcome Strangelove.

PJ Stock has a big of bricks for brains, haha. Lol @ random use of "Montreal" :lol:

Like I said though - I'm just glad that we've got Torts on our side. Controversy or not, Torts isn't going to let CBC push the Canucks around in the media, and he's clearly a guy that won't stand for bullshit. I love what I'm seeing so far.

The Dark Indian Rises
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Rumsfeld wrote:Since we built this team on the Detroit model and the Wings have had the most successful system in the league for the last two decades, I'd be kind of curious to see what their blocked-shot stats have looked like over the last 10 years or so.
Few things:

1) The Canucks are no longer following the Detroit model. Since the Cody Hodgson deal, the Canucks have gone away from that. I'd argue that at present day under Torts, we are trying to play more similar to LA/San Jose/St.Louis/Boston type model. Time will tell if we have the players to actually play that type of style.

2) Since we appear to be following in the footsteps of LA, St. Louis, Boston, I'd be more interested in seeing what their blocked-shot stats have looked like over the last few years.

The Dark Indian Rises
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Torts teams don't actually block an inordinate amount of shots from anything I've seen. i think he uses it more as a motivational and commitment type thing. He wants to push guys to give it their all and then a little more. Being willing to throw yourself into a shot is one of those things. Playing guys 3 or 4 minutes more than they have ever been played on a regular basis feeds into it. Rewarding guys who are giving that effort feeds into it. He's simply all about pushing the players. Luongo said it last night when asked about not giving up when down in the game "Torts won't let us give up".

It's really the same philosophy that Sutter uses and Laviolette and many others. It's also the reason that some of these guys have a fairly short shelf life as coaches (though Torts actually has two pretty long tenures under his belt).

Look at Santorelli...good games or not a lot of coaches would not be giving him the nearly 18 minutes he got last night. He'd be tagged a 4th liner with 10 or less minutes. He plays well and gets time and promotions through the lineup. These active promotions and demotions throughout a game ought to keep guys on their toes and motivated.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

The next game for VCR is back at it with the Sharks. Have to think the team NEEDS to beat these assholes to move forward in their confidence building. Another beat down isn't going to help any...

I'll be interested to see how Torts adapts to try for the win. Try to match up physically or another strategy...
If you need air...call it in
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

The Brown Knight wrote: Thank you for the warm welcome Strangelove.
Nothing like acknowledgment straight out of the chute wot? :wink:
The Brown Knight wrote: PJ Stock has a big of bricks for brains, haha. Lol @ random use of "Montreal" :lol:
Is it just me or is it ridiculously ironic that immediately after PJ rambled on like a crackhead

.... Healy says "You get paid for an opinion". :lol:

I guess it must just be me because I keep watching that segment and LOLing at those bozos

... over and over and over...

... meanwhile I don't see others around here making a big deal of it. :hmmm:

See, to me, Friedman on that CBC panel is like Alice in Wonderland, but yeah maybe that's just me...
The Brown Knight wrote: Like I said though - I'm just glad that we've got Torts on our side. Controversy or not, Torts isn't going to let CBC push the Canucks around in the media, and he's clearly a guy that won't stand for bullshit. I love what I'm seeing so far.
OMG bro, I could not agree more! :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Strangelove wrote:
The Brown Knight wrote: Thank you for the warm welcome Strangelove.
Nothing like acknowledgment straight out of the chute wot? :wink:
The Brown Knight wrote: PJ Stock has a big of bricks for brains, haha. Lol @ random use of "Montreal" :lol:
Is it just me or is it ridiculously ironic that immediately after PJ rambled on like a crackhead

.... Healy says "You get paid for an opinion". :lol:

I guess it must just be me because I keep watching that segment and LOLing at those bozos

... over and over and over...

... meanwhile I don't see others around here making a big deal of it. :hmmm:

See, to me, Friedman on that CBC panel is like Alice in Wonderland, but yeah maybe that's just me...
The Brown Knight wrote: Like I said though - I'm just glad that we've got Torts on our side. Controversy or not, Torts isn't going to let CBC push the Canucks around in the media, and he's clearly a guy that won't stand for bullshit. I love what I'm seeing so far.
OMG bro, I could not agree more! :thumbs:
Agreed on all accounts, haha.

I dont think Healy is THAT dumb, but his hatred and emotion makes him say some dumb things.

PJ Stock and Kevin Weekes are a fairly daft IMO however. Not even really sure why they have positions on there.

Elliotte Friedman is a smart guy. McLean is a very smart guy but he's an evil bigot.
Last edited by The Brown Knight on Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Dark Indian Rises
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

Less Canucks embarrassment please.
Art Vandelay
CC Veteran

Post by Art Vandelay »

RoyalDude wrote:It's obvious that mike gillis has carte Blanche around here with most of you, like if he was banging your old lady you'd be at bedside with your poms poms cheering him on "Miley you're the best" but did your buddy the players agent just hire John "Bill Laforge" Torterella?

It was funny hearing Doug MacLeans views on blocking shots and how much harder guys are shooting the pucks in todays game. In other words, it's fucking don cherry old school and guys will get hurt, as we are already seeing. Ain't worth it
Doug Maclean is umemployable in the NHL, yet you trust his word ? Do you seriously expect anyone to take you seriously when you type this kind of nonsense ? :baaa: :stupid:
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Art Vandelay wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:It's obvious that mike gillis has carte Blanche around here with most of you, like if he was banging your old lady you'd be at bedside with your poms poms cheering him on "Miley you're the best" but did your buddy the players agent just hire John "Bill Laforge" Torterella?

It was funny hearing Doug MacLeans views on blocking shots and how much harder guys are shooting the pucks in todays game. In other words, it's fucking don cherry old school and guys will get hurt, as we are already seeing. Ain't worth it
Doug Maclean is umemployable in the NHL, yet you trust his word ? Do you seriously expect anyone to take you seriously when you type this kind of nonsense ? :baaa: :stupid:
He trusts Tony G and Barry Mac a lot too - says a lot doesn't it?
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Just listened to JT presser after the game tonight, a little refreshing to hear a coach just say that the team did not compete tonight. Don't want to hear a coach sugar coat it, if the players played like crap, say it. Hopefully he makes the players more accountable, I think they need that.