Vancouver Canucks hire coach John Tortorella

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Vancouver Canucks hire coach John Tortorella

Postby Uncle dans leg » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:57 pm

I love the Sedins on seperate lines. It's like adding another 1st line.

I've been calling for this for years.
nobody forks with...the jesus
Uncle dans leg
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Island Nucklehead » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:14 am

dbr wrote:If 2013 is any indication, Tortorella does allow "a shooting gallery from the point"..

..relative to most of the other teams in the league at any rate.

It's also worth noting that the NYR were 10th in the league in shots allowed last year. Still, graph shows why his forwards have to block shots. Some of it is "for the team", but I'd argue most of it is because you don't want that D-man to have all day to "wire a Garrison" from the slot. If you're going to out-number and support down low, the trade off is more time for their "D" up high.

At any rate, I think Canuck fans have made too big of a deal about this. The Canucks have proven they can't "flip the switch" to a greasier, grittier playoff style when it counts. Torts is going to demand that type of style (collapse on your goalie, hard on the walls, make/take a hit to make the play etc.) all season long. If our players are too fragile for that system, then we'll never go far in the playoffs anyways.
Island Nucklehead
CC Legend

Postby ukcanuck » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:05 am

RoyalDude wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:It's obvious that mike gillis has carte Blanche around here with most of you, like if he was banging your old lady you'd be at bedside with your poms poms cheering him on "Miley you're the best" but did your buddy the players agent just hire John "Bill Laforge" Torterella?

It was funny hearing Doug MacLeans views on blocking shots and how much harder guys are shooting the pucks in todays game. In other words, it's fucking don cherry old school and guys will get hurt, as we are already seeing. Ain't worth it

Dude that droning sound above your head is the point in blocking shots going right over your head...

Its not the direct result of a blocked shot that counts, although that is desirable (a scoring chance eliminated.) Its the effort and dedication and willingness to sacrifice the body to win that is the POINT. This team has been powder puff soft since before Burke got canned, and its pretty obvious to everyone including you that this line up was cowed by the Bruins in 2011, and has been pretty much twinky filling since their "revenge" game in Boston in 2012...

It matter's fuck all if the entire line up goes down to broken legs blocking shots this season if they are just gonna play perimeter hockey and skate away from midget rats in the final..

Torts is just making the changes most of us on here have wanted since Sedin was speed bagged...

Oh yeah, shot blocking really sets teams apart in the toughness department. Really, really does.

Keep on entertaining me with your idiotness uk. I love it.

It's not the shot blocking dud it's the willingness to sacrifice the body.
That is tough, ask your liver about sacrifice there wheat belly..
ukcanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby ukcanuck » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:09 am

Uncle dans leg wrote:I love the Sedins on seperate lines. It's like adding another 1st line.

I've been calling for this for years.

Just the willingness to separate the twins is a breath of fresh air.
The team under AV was sooo stale and predictable
ukcanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby The Brown Knight » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:47 am

Although I was skeptical of the hiring at first, and although it's still way too early to tell obviously, I have really liked the presence of John Tortortella so far. The Canucks have looked gritter and tougher on the puck in this short season so far.

I also like the fact that Torts stuck it to CBC. He made Glen Healy look a little foolish from my perspective.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby BladesofSteel » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:15 pm

Healy managed to do that all by himself. But Friedman's comment certainly made things interesting.

*Edit* Welcome to the bored, by the way.
The grass is always greener
BladesofSteel
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby The Brown Knight » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:28 pm

BladesofSteel wrote:Healy managed to do that all by himself. But Friedman's comment certainly made things interesting.

*Edit* Welcome to the bored, by the way.

Agreed.

It was nice to see Friedman put Healy in his place. I do find it interesting that Ron McLean didn't exactly discourage Healy from saying that.......and in a way, sort of prompted Healy to make the comment. PJ Stock tried to add a little gasoline to the fire as well.

And thanks! Glad to be here.

The Dark Indian Rises
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby rats19 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:46 pm

I almost thought Healy was joking, but no..he was serious what an ass....
You are who you hang with.....
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby The Brown Knight » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:20 pm

rats19 wrote:I almost thought Healy was joking, but no..he was serious what an ass....

Just gives further notion to the theory that CBC has it in for Vancouver.

Regardless though, the joke turned out to be on Healy in the end as Friedman completely owned him.

The Dark Indian Rises
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Strangelove » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:34 pm

The Brown Knight wrote:
rats19 wrote:I almost thought Healy was joking, but no..he was serious what an ass....

Regardless though, the joke turned out to be on Healy in the end as Friedman completely owned him.

Welcome Brownie, have you read the transcript:

viewtopic.php?p=182692#p182692

Seriously, wot a JOKE the CBC panel has become amirite?

PJ Stock rambling on and on...

Can anyone think of ANY reason he said "Montreal" in the middle of all that?? :lol:

And as mentioned, Healy making a major ass out of himself. :roll:

THESE GUYS "get paid for opinions"?? :crazy:
____
The Ring Leader
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby The Brown Knight » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:30 pm

Strangelove wrote:
The Brown Knight wrote:

Welcome Brownie, have you read the transcript:

viewtopic.php?p=182692#p182692

Seriously, wot a JOKE the CBC panel has become amirite?

PJ Stock rambling on and on...

Can anyone think of ANY reason he said "Montreal" in the middle of all that?? :lol:

And as mentioned, Healy making a major ass out of himself. :roll:

THESE GUYS "get paid for opinions"?? :crazy:

Thank you for the warm welcome Strangelove.

PJ Stock has a big of bricks for brains, haha. Lol @ random use of "Montreal" :lol:

Like I said though - I'm just glad that we've got Torts on our side. Controversy or not, Torts isn't going to let CBC push the Canucks around in the media, and he's clearly a guy that won't stand for bullshit. I love what I'm seeing so far.

The Dark Indian Rises
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby The Brown Knight » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:37 pm

Rumsfeld wrote:Since we built this team on the Detroit model and the Wings have had the most successful system in the league for the last two decades, I'd be kind of curious to see what their blocked-shot stats have looked like over the last 10 years or so.

Few things:

1) The Canucks are no longer following the Detroit model. Since the Cody Hodgson deal, the Canucks have gone away from that. I'd argue that at present day under Torts, we are trying to play more similar to LA/San Jose/St.Louis/Boston type model. Time will tell if we have the players to actually play that type of style.

2) Since we appear to be following in the footsteps of LA, St. Louis, Boston, I'd be more interested in seeing what their blocked-shot stats have looked like over the last few years.

The Dark Indian Rises
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby tantalum » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:01 am

Torts teams don't actually block an inordinate amount of shots from anything I've seen. i think he uses it more as a motivational and commitment type thing. He wants to push guys to give it their all and then a little more. Being willing to throw yourself into a shot is one of those things. Playing guys 3 or 4 minutes more than they have ever been played on a regular basis feeds into it. Rewarding guys who are giving that effort feeds into it. He's simply all about pushing the players. Luongo said it last night when asked about not giving up when down in the game "Torts won't let us give up".

It's really the same philosophy that Sutter uses and Laviolette and many others. It's also the reason that some of these guys have a fairly short shelf life as coaches (though Torts actually has two pretty long tenures under his belt).

Look at Santorelli...good games or not a lot of coaches would not be giving him the nearly 18 minutes he got last night. He'd be tagged a 4th liner with 10 or less minutes. He plays well and gets time and promotions through the lineup. These active promotions and demotions throughout a game ought to keep guys on their toes and motivated.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Uncle dans leg » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:50 am

The next game for VCR is back at it with the Sharks. Have to think the team NEEDS to beat these assholes to move forward in their confidence building. Another beat down isn't going to help any...

I'll be interested to see how Torts adapts to try for the win. Try to match up physically or another strategy...
nobody forks with...the jesus
Uncle dans leg
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Strangelove » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:18 pm

The Brown Knight wrote:Thank you for the warm welcome Strangelove.

Nothing like acknowledgment straight out of the chute wot? :wink:

The Brown Knight wrote:PJ Stock has a big of bricks for brains, haha. Lol @ random use of "Montreal" :lol:

Is it just me or is it ridiculously ironic that immediately after PJ rambled on like a crackhead

.... Healy says "You get paid for an opinion". :lol:

I guess it must just be me because I keep watching that segment and LOLing at those bozos

... over and over and over...

... meanwhile I don't see others around here making a big deal of it. :hmmm:

See, to me, Friedman on that CBC panel is like Alice in Wonderland, but yeah maybe that's just me...

The Brown Knight wrote:Like I said though - I'm just glad that we've got Torts on our side. Controversy or not, Torts isn't going to let CBC push the Canucks around in the media, and he's clearly a guy that won't stand for bullshit. I love what I'm seeing so far.

OMG bro, I could not agree more! :thumbs:
____
The Ring Leader
Strangelove
CC Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat