Oct 6/13 CNUX @ Lames 5pm Splortsnet and 1040

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Oct 6/13 CNUX @ Lames 5pm Splortsnet and 1040

Postby RoyalDude » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:00 pm

I agree with everyone after 3 games its clear that Stanton will have a very prosperous career

I also agree that even though the Flames are in the running for 2014
Top draft prospects Sam Reinhart and Aron Ekblad that they are the team the Canucks should measure themselves against not like for instance the San Jose Sharks whom the Canucks are 0-10 in the their last 10 meetings against.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4457
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Oct 6/13 CNUX @ Lames 5pm Splortsnet and 1040

Postby RoyalDude » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:06 pm

herb wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Rubber Pants disappeared kinda quickly there.


Ahh go easy on him. This is like the worst case scenario for the Dude, after all.

A Gillis rookie plays his first NHL game, and actually looks pretty good (Lack).

A Gillis FA acquisition scores two goals, including the GWG (Santorelli).

Another Gillis acquisition is second in team scoring through the first three games (Garrison).

Gillis waiver wire pick-up Ryan Stanton actually looks like a NHL player and not just some guy none of us had ever heard of before (do we have pro scouts?).

Torts is looking like he is going to get his guys to play hard every game, and not sit back on leads or wait until the “games count” to “flip the switch”.

And, to top it all off, David Booth scored a pretty slick goal.


Interesting that Dan Hamhuis is the first player to find himself in Torts’ doghouse. I don’t think many him pegged as the first resident, but he has not played well at all to start the season and found himself playing only 17 minutes last night (barely ahead of Stanton and behind Tanev). Bieksa and Edler played 25+ minutes.

That was a solid debut by Lack, who didn’t make many mistakes and didn’t really stand out as a rookie. He made a couple of unsure plays, but he was really strong along the ice and showed some athleticism. If he plays like he did last night in his 20 or so starts this season, he’ll be fine.

Torts really leans on his best players, as was advertised. The decision to break up the Sedins was something I have been pleading to happen for years (when the team needs a different look).


Eddie Lack was signed as a free agent, not drafted. I agree, after 1 game it's clear he's the next Ken Dryden

Garrison was a real difficult signing by Gillis, it was a miracle he could ink the White Rock native to a contract, about as difficult as inking BC boi Hamhius
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4457
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Oct 6/13 CNUX @ Lames 5pm Splortsnet and 1040

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:13 pm

Kinda like how Kariya, Nieds and Burnaby Joe all wanted to come back home.
Tell me how my ass tastes.
User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3084
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Oct 6/13 CNUX @ Lames 5pm Splortsnet and 1040

Postby herb » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:15 pm

RoyalDude wrote:Eddie Lack was signed as a free agent, not drafted. I agree, after 1 game it's clear he's the next Ken Dryden


Even better! At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter. Bringing in quality talent is bringing in good players. I don't care if they're drafted, signed, smuggled, cloned...whatever.

RoyalDude wrote:Garrison was a real difficult signing by Gillis, it was a miracle he could ink the White Rock native to a contract, about as difficult as inking BC boi Hamhius


Yeah, hard to believe local boys like Niedermeyer, Sakic, Kariya, Yzerman and Recchi never played here if signing free agents to reasonable contracts is as easy as waving the BC flag in their faces.

Edit: Dangit Blob!
User avatar
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2131
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:17 pm
Location: Mars

Re: Oct 6/13 CNUX @ Lames 5pm Splortsnet and 1040

Postby RoyalDude » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:21 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Kinda like how Kariya, Nieds and Burnaby Joe all wanted to come back home.


Like I said Blob it was a real coup for Gillis to pull that off, a real notch in his belt
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4457
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Oct 6/13 CNUX @ Lames 5pm Splortsnet and 1040

Postby RoyalDude » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:24 pm

herb wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Eddie Lack was signed as a free agent, not drafted. I agree, after 1 game it's clear he's the next Ken Dryden


Even better! At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter. Bringing in quality talent is bringing in good players. I don't care if they're drafted, signed, smuggled, cloned...whatever.
!


Hey did I not say that it's easy to see that After his first pro game and against the nhl elite Calgary Flames that Lack is the next Ken Dryden?
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4457
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Oct 6/13 CNUX @ Lames 5pm Splortsnet and 1040

Postby herb » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:37 pm

RoyalDude wrote:Hey did I not say that it's easy to see that After his first pro game and against the nhl elite Calgary Flames that Lack is the next Ken Dryden?


We know you like to be hyperbolic, but I wouldn't go that far there. At least there's a Gillis rookie on this team, right? I mean, that's never happened before, oh except for Tanev, Hodgson (Kassian), Schroeder and Corrado.
User avatar
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2131
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:17 pm
Location: Mars

Re: Oct 6/13 CNUX @ Lames 5pm Splortsnet and 1040

Postby RoyalDude » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:02 pm

herb wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Hey did I not say that it's easy to see that After his first pro game and against the nhl elite Calgary Flames that Lack is the next Ken Dryden?


We know you like to be hyperbolic, but I wouldn't go that far there. At least there's a Gillis rookie on this team, right? I mean, that's never happened before, oh except for Tanev, Hodgson (Kassian), Schroeder and Corrado.


Corrado and Schroeder are up here! Awesome! When did we call them up?

Lack did shut the door on that amazingly offensively gifted Calgary Flame hockey team. He was lights out

Anyhow Herb I never knew you were this jacked about the players agents drafting record
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4457
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Oct 6/13 CNUX @ Lames 5pm Splortsnet and 1040

Postby herb » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:19 pm

RoyalDude wrote:Corrado and Schroeder are up here! Awesome! When did we call them up?

Lack did shut the door on that amazingly offensively gifted Calgary Flame hockey team. He was lights out

Anyhow Herb I never knew you were this jacked about the players agents drafting record


Reading comprehension dude - I said "happened before" as in, ya know, the past. Schroeder is on the IR and in Vancouver, and Corrado will play here before the year is over.

It's very difficult to evaluate drafting in such a short period of time. Most prospects don't begin to have an impact in the NHL, if they are going to play there that is, until their early-mid 20's, which is five or six years after they were drafted. How long has Gillis been here again? In many cases it's too early to tell with Gillis' picks, but there are definitely some promising looking guys.

Around and around we go, but I'm just not as obsessed with drafting as some are. Obviously it's critical, but there are other ways to get younger, faster. Guys like you don't think Tanev or Lack "count" because they weren't drafted, which is bogus. If Stanton or Lain work out, they won't count because they weren't picked by Gillis in a NHL entry draft, right?
User avatar
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2131
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:17 pm
Location: Mars

Re: Oct 6/13 CNUX @ Lames 5pm Splortsnet and 1040

Postby RoyalDude » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:59 pm

RoyalDude wrote:
herb wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Hey did I not say that it's easy to see that After his first pro game and against the nhl elite Calgary Flames that Lack is the next Ken Dryden?


We know you like to be hyperbolic, but I wouldn't go that far there. At least there's a Gillis rookie on this team, right? I mean, that's never happened before, oh except for Tanev, Hodgson (Kassian), Schroeder and Corrado.


Corrado and Schroeder are up here! Awesome! When did we call them up?

Lack did shut the door on that amazingly offensively gifted Calgary Flame hockey team. He was lights out
herb wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Corrado and Schroeder are up here! Awesome! When did we call them up?

Lack did shut the door on that amazingly offensively gifted Calgary Flame hockey team. He was lights out

Anyhow Herb I never knew you were this jacked about the players agents drafting record


Reading comprehension dude - I said "happened before" as in, ya know, the past. Schroeder is on the IR and in Vancouver, and Corrado will play here before the year is over.

It's very difficult to evaluate drafting in such a short period of time. Most prospects don't begin to have an impact in the NHL, if they are going to play there that is, until their early-mid 20's, which is five or six years after they were drafted. How long has Gillis been here again? In many cases it's too early to tell with Gillis' picks, but there are definitely some promising looking guys.

Around and around we go, but I'm just not as obsessed with drafting as some are. Obviously it's critical, but there are other ways to get younger, faster. Guys like you don't think Tanev or Lack "count" because they weren't drafted, which is bogus. If Stanton or Lain work out, they won't count because they weren't picked by Gillis in a NHL entry draft, right?

Anyhow Herb I never knew you were this jacked about the players agents drafting record


I didnt realize that 6 drafts for one GM is not sufficient grounds to judge said GMs drafting ability

Anyhow, thank The Lord for Schneider being a Canuck so we could have a stab at Horvat
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4457
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Oct 6/13 CNUX @ Lames 5pm Splortsnet and 1040

Postby dbr » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:08 am

Honestly why even engage this clown anymore. You can't have a serious (or even honest) discussion with him and it just makes reading threads harder for those of us trying to use the ignore feature.
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2498
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: Oct 6/13 CNUX @ Lames 5pm Splortsnet and 1040

Postby okcanuck » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:47 am

RD isn't a canucks fan. He's a closet Laughs fan and has a man-crush for Nonis.
User avatar
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 501
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:11 am
Location: Bestwank,BC

Re: Oct 6/13 CNUX @ Lames 5pm Splortsnet and 1040

Postby ukcanuck » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:18 am

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Kinda like how Kariya, Nieds and Burnaby Joe all wanted to come back home.

Can't remember why those guys chose not to do that exactly but man, wouldn't it have been special to have Joe Sakic in a Canuck uniform for his swan song....sigh
User avatar
ukcanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2418
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:04 am

Re: Oct 6/13 CNUX @ Lames 5pm Splortsnet and 1040

Postby herb » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:33 am

dbr wrote:Honestly why even engage this clown anymore. You can't have a serious (or even honest) discussion with him and it just makes reading threads harder for those of us trying to use the ignore feature.


Fall nights Dave...

You're right though, there's certainly something disingenuous about slagging on Gillis’ drafting record while conveniently ignoring key facts, like how Hodgson was playing in the NHL three seasons ago.
User avatar
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2131
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:17 pm
Location: Mars

Re: Oct 6/13 CNUX @ Lames 5pm Splortsnet and 1040

Postby dbr » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:57 am

Yeah. I'll give it less than a week before I get suckered into replying again. :look:

I'll give RD credit, he must have taken a good look at the work Mike Gillis has done and picked the "no draft picks in the lineup" trope with great care.

Nevermind that he dealt his highest ever pick (until this year), dealt a 1st, 2nd, two 3rds and a 4th within his first three drafts, made a complete organizational change in direction after the second draft, etc and has worked to fill in the gaps with free agents who conveniently manage to fall into that mysterious grey area in which they are young players who help the team win games and are credits to Gillis' work as a GM but somehow RD doesn't have to acknowledge them...

They didn't come into the organization via the draft so they don't count! :crazy:
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2498
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Previous

Return to Game Day Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest