Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Jovocop
CC Legend

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Jovocop »

dbr wrote:So, Peter Laviolette could not win with the dogs breakfast RD's hero Paul Holmgren is calling a roster this year and Holmgren has already blown his wad on the fire the coach card.. three games into the season.

Shame we don't have a GM a set of big old brass ones like Holmgren, who has the guts and tenacity that it takes to trade away his top two centers in order to make room for a goaltender on a lifetime deal that he would buy out within two years and then tender the biggest, most useless offer sheet in league history.. :drink:
Most importantly, Holmgren failed to trade a draft pick for an elite goaltender. He is now stuck with a goaltender who cannot stop a beach ball...
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

The Flyers always drop the ball with goaltending. They could have had Bernier.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

BigTuna wrote: They could have had Bernier.
A lot of teams passed on Bernier.

Hopefully they were right and he turns out to be a bust! :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

What's the over/under on Dallas Eakins getting fired and replaced with Laviolette?

I don't know what's worse, cheering for a team in a Goalie Graveyard or Coaching Graveyard.
BigTuna wrote:The Flyers always drop the ball with goaltending. They could have had Bernier.
or Schneider
or Luongo
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

vic wrote:What's the over/under on Dallas Eakins getting fired and replaced with Laviolette?

I don't know what's worse, cheering for a team in a Goalie Graveyard or Coaching Graveyard.
BigTuna wrote:The Flyers always drop the ball with goaltending. They could have had Bernier.
or Schneider
or Luongo
If Holmgren offered their 11th overall pick for Luongo, MG would gladly take that and keep Schneider instead.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

And the Flyers are still in cap hell next year. Something like 55 million committed and only 16 players under contract, none of them yet a goalie. I don't have the exact math on it but I gather Homer will have more challenges ahead. Too much ownership interference on this team.

Insisted on Carter and Richards being gone for their party hardy attitude, insisted on signing Bryz to that lifetime deal then insisted on the buyout two years later. Took a wild run at Weber and pushed for Streit and Vinny, both on long term deals and big cap hits.

Holmgren is the owners mouth piece.
The only HW the Canucks need
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote: And the Flyers are still in cap hell next year. Something like 55 million committed and only 16 players under contract, none of them yet a goalie.
Actually the Flyers are good for next year.

Pronger's salary is included in your number and Timonen is coming off the books.

So there's an extra $11m in cap-room right there (plus the cap is going up).

Not that they need it though because all of their key guys are signed

... except Brayden Schenn who should be an easy bridge deal.

And yup they'll be needing a goalie.

Seriously, they'd have plenty of cap-space for a guy like Lou. :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Jovocop wrote:
vic wrote:What's the over/under on Dallas Eakins getting fired and replaced with Laviolette?

or Schneider
or Luongo
If Holmgren offered their 11th overall pick for Luongo, MG would gladly take that and keep Schneider instead.
If any part of the reported deals to Toronto were true, Gillis probably would have taken 2 second round picks....
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Czech
Russian
Dane
Swede
Austrian
Swede
Canadian
Belarussian
Canadian
Canadian
Czech
Canadian
Dane
Canadian
American
American
Swiss
American
Swede
Czech

The rather surprising top twenty in scoring in the NHL.
Five Canadians (the best of whom is in 7th place), three Americans, three Czechs, three Swedes, two Danes (sic!), a Russian, a Belarussian, an Austrian and a Swiss guy. :?
Last edited by Per on Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

Per wrote:Czech
Russian
Dane
Swede
Austrian
Swede
Canadian
Belarussian
Canadian
Canadian
Czech
Canadian
Dane
Canadian
American
American
Swiss
American
Swede
Czech

The rather surprising top twenty in scoring in he NHL.
Five Canadians (the best of whom is in 7th place), three Americans, three Czechs, three Swedes, two Danes (sic!), a Russian, a Belarussian, an Austrian and a Swiss guy. :?
Interesting, but the season literally just started.

Why not make this post towards the end of the season?

Nonetheless, it is interesting. I just think it's too early to make anything of it though (i.e. prove that there's a growing parity between Canadian players and non-Canadian players).
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

If, at the end of the season, there are still two Danes in the top twenty, I will eat my hat.

I mean, seriously, two Danes? Wtf? :eh:

And yes, I think it does indicate that hockey is growing as an international sport.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

The Brown Knight wrote:Interesting, but the season literally just started.

Per hates Canadians and takes every opportunity to make them feel bad about themselves.

That's why.

He operates beneath the cowardly cloak of Scandinavian harmlessness and would NEVER express his zenophobic malice in an obvious or tranparent manner, butt that's what's really happening here.

I'm a little tired of being victimized by this evil genuis but it is what it is.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Rumsfeld wrote:
The Brown Knight wrote:Interesting, but the season literally just started.

Per hates Canadians and takes every opportunity to make them feel bad about themselves.

That's why.

He operates beneath the cowardly cloak of Scandinavian harmlessness and would NEVER express his zenophobic malice in an obvious or tranparent manner, butt that's what's really happening here.

I'm a little tired of being victimized by this evil genuis but it is what it is.
Lol, yeah, that's probably it, eh? So why did we just award the nobel prize in literature to Alice Munro then?

Actually, I think Canadians are the ones who stand to benefit the most from hockey gaining ground across the globe. Canadian players make up roughly half of the players in the NHL, and the smurfs who can't make it in that league have a good opportunity making a living in Europe as an increasing number of countries try to make their leagues more competitive. You could be a grunt in the ECHL, or you could be a star in say France or Norway... :lol:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Rumsfeld wrote: I'm a little tired of being victimized by this evil genuis but it is what it is.
I know hey?

It's weird because most Swedes are totally evil doofuses. Image
____
Try to focus on someday.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Strangelove wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote: I'm a little tired of being victimized by this evil genuis but it is what it is.
I know hey?

It's weird because most Swedes are totally evil doofuses. Image
The real reason is that he is a Godless man with no hope of salvation when the world ends.