Oct 6/13 CNUX @ Lames 5pm Splortsnet and 1040

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Oct 6/13 CNUX @ Lames 5pm Splortsnet and 1040

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Rubber Pants disappeared kinda quickly there.
Boardwalk Empire is on Black Label McKenzie, I will return
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Two different teams between the 2nd and 3rd. I thought the guys looked gassed in the 2nd and when it went up 3-1 early in the 3rd I thought they were done. They played meh in the first, sucked ass in the 2nd and the 3rd was going to be a gong show when Monahan scored. RD can be forgiven for his spurts of premature rant-aculation after 2.

Truth is, last year the guys would have been done. They would have shook their heads and gone quietly into the night.

Don't know what Torts said in the 2nd intermission, but it worked. Somehow they found some intestinal fortitude in the 3rd and clawed back. What impressed me was it wasn't really anything pretty. Just hard, smart work and hounding the puck to create chances.

Booth may not have the highest hockey IQ, but the guy was impressive in his puck pursuit and did some good board work. Nice to see Santorelli show some finish. Anybody notice how Stanton didn't make any real bone-headed plays? Through the two games I've seen him play, the guys appears to play safe, effective hockey. Nothing flashy but he didn't make me cringe the way AA has so often. Maybe not such a bad waiver pick-up??? ;)

Let's see if they can do this kind of thing against a top team in the league, but the fact they were able to pull out a win in OT after being down two goals in the third in a back-to-back game made me appreciate this win more than last night's. :)
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Like how Torts was willing to break the twins up to get more balance up front. Bottom 6, we'll 5 since webber didn't play much, had good game tonight. Santorelli has hands which is nice to see. Like the energy after the first. Could have won that by 2-3. Goals if not for McDonald. He made some pretty decent saves in the 3rd to allow Calgary to earn a point.

Not bad for back to backs and great for Lack to get that one out of the way. I can see the huge upside in this kid. Still has work to do but liked what I saw.

But that's two wins against Edmonton and Calgary. Still need to show up against the big boys. But two points is two points.
The only HW the Canucks need
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

You mean the Village Idiotto? :roll:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

So 12 goals in 3 games, an average of 4 goals per game. Kinda nice if we could keep that pace :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

Nice adjustment & motivation by Torts, after going behind 3-1 in the third.

The Canucks took over after the Sedins were split up... 8-)
.. until the last 3 minutes of reg time. :eh:
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Image

Hey wait...is that LB???
No, he's dead.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Wow, I check Bountiful and fans are calling it an exciting game.

Canucks looked tired after playing yesterday while the Flames play like a pick up ball hockey game in a cul-d-sac.

A little effort in the third showed just how bad the Flames are.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Yep. Pretty much sums up the Flames for this year. All it will take is about a 20 minute effort for any good teams to beat them.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Topper wrote:Wow, I check Bountiful and fans are calling it an exciting game.

Canucks looked tired after playing yesterday while the Flames play like a pick up ball hockey game in a cul-d-sac.

The game was so damn dull I ended up flipping channels in the second looking for Ancient Aliens or Finding Bigfoot... ;)

I was actually fairly impressed with the tenacity of the backcheck by the Flames. They were in our passing lanes all night, pressuring the puck carrier constantly and generally making it a game despite for the first 40 minutes the Canucks didn't seemingly give a single fuck.

That is a quick little team buying into their coaches system...too bad for them it's all minor league talent
If you need air...call it in
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Topper wrote:Wow, I check Bountiful and fans are calling it an exciting game.

The game was so damn dull I ended up flipping channels in the second looking for Ancient Aliens or Finding Bigfoot... ;)

I was actually fairly impressed with the tenacity of the backcheck by the Flames. They were in our passing lanes all night, pressuring the puck carrier constantly and generally making it a game despite for the first 40 minutes the Canucks didn't seemingly give a single fuck.

That is a quick little team buying into their coaches system...too bad for them it's all minor league talent
they will be an annoying gnat like the RDoilers were for several years...they can distract us and cause a car crash :evil:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Ahh go easy on him. This is like the worst case scenario for the Dude, after all.

A Gillis rookie plays his first NHL game, and actually looks pretty good (Lack).

A Gillis FA acquisition scores two goals, including the GWG (Santorelli).

Another Gillis acquisition is second in team scoring through the first three games (Garrison).

Gillis waiver wire pick-up Ryan Stanton actually looks like a NHL player and not just some guy none of us had ever heard of before (do we have pro scouts?).

Torts is looking like he is going to get his guys to play hard every game, and not sit back on leads or wait until the “games count” to “flip the switch”.

And, to top it all off, David Booth scored a pretty slick goal.

Interesting that Dan Hamhuis is the first player to find himself in Torts’ doghouse. I don’t think many him pegged as the first resident, but he has not played well at all to start the season and found himself playing only 17 minutes last night (barely ahead of Stanton and behind Tanev). Bieksa and Edler played 25+ minutes.

That was a solid debut by Lack, who didn’t make many mistakes and didn’t really stand out as a rookie. He made a couple of unsure plays, but he was really strong along the ice and showed some athleticism. If he plays like he did last night in his 20 or so starts this season, he’ll be fine.

Torts really leans on his best players, as was advertised. The decision to break up the Sedins was something I have been pleading to happen for years (when the team needs a different look).
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

I don't think Hamhuis is in the doghouse. i think he's hurt and it is likely a groin injury. This goes back to cap when he missed practices and games. If you look at his mistakes, while they look horrendous they all seem to have one thing in common...being a split second too slow. He's a guy who looks like he doesn't have his normal acceleration and hasn't figured out how to adjust his play accordingly.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

herb wrote: The decision to break up the Sedins was something I have been pleading to happen for years (when the team needs a different look).
Agreed. It is conventional wisdom that when it comes to the Sedins, the sum is greater than the parts, but the team has become predictable due to the lack of secondary scoring.

The opponents have figured out that if they can neutralize the twins, the Canucks can't win. By splitting the twins up, the opponents can't send out a shutdown line every time a twin takes the ice, and so the strategy fails. Even if the twins are a notch better when playing together, they are still among the best setup players of the league when split up, and as long as they have someone on their line that can be in the right spot at the right time, there will be goals.

Glad to see that Torts is more flexible than AV.
Mind you, AV is a great coach, but he seemed very reluctant to abandon plan A, even when it was clearly not working.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote:Lol...slagged too soon
You've turned into the biggest Canuck slagger ever ole Dude!

Something went haywire somewhere.... :(

Just so you know?

If by some miracle my Vancouver Canucks win the Cup this year, we're definitely not inviting you to the party. Image
____
Try to focus on someday.