Vancouver Canucks hire coach John Tortorella

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

herb
CC Legend

Re: Vancouver Canucks hire coach John Tortorella

Post by herb »

I know shot blocking is the latest lame Vancouver media attempt at creating a narrative, but the Sharks were credited with 18 blocked shots last night. You’re also going to block a hell of a lot of shots when you end up killing eight freaking penalties.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

herb wrote:I know shot blocking is the latest lame Vancouver media attempt at creating a narrative, but the Sharks were credited with 18 blocked shots last night. You’re also going to block a hell of a lot of shots when you end up killing eight freaking penalties.
Watch us lead the league in penalties AND blocked shots while getting the fewest number of PPs.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

^ Haha that would not be a recipe for success!
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Btw does shot blocking mean to block it from your own team mates? The thing Daniel hit was a try to get it out of the own zone...
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

It's obvious that mike gillis has carte Blanche around here with most of you, like if he was banging your old lady you'd be at bedside with your poms poms cheering him on "Miley you're the best" but did your buddy the players agent just hire John "Bill Laforge" Torterella?

It was funny hearing Doug MacLeans views on blocking shots and how much harder guys are shooting the pucks in todays game. In other words, it's fucking don cherry old school and guys will get hurt, as we are already seeing. Ain't worth it
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

RoyalDude wrote:It's obvious that mike gillis has carte Blanche around here with most of you, like if he was banging your old lady you'd be at bedside with your poms poms cheering him on "Miley you're the best" but did your buddy the players agent just hire John "Bill Laforge" Torterella?

It was funny hearing Doug MacLeans views on blocking shots and how much harder guys are shooting the pucks in todays game. In other words, it's fucking don cherry old school and guys will get hurt, as we are already seeing. Ain't worth it
Dude that droning sound above your head is the point in blocking shots going right over your head...

Its not the direct result of a blocked shot that counts, although that is desirable (a scoring chance eliminated.) Its the effort and dedication and willingness to sacrifice the body to win that is the POINT. This team has been powder puff soft since before Burke got canned, and its pretty obvious to everyone including you that this line up was cowed by the Bruins in 2011, and has been pretty much twinky filling since their "revenge" game in Boston in 2012...

It matter's fuck all if the entire line up goes down to broken legs blocking shots this season if they are just gonna play perimeter hockey and skate away from midget rats in the final..

Torts is just making the changes most of us on here have wanted since Sedin was speed bagged...
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Couple of thoughts on things that have been brought up.

The Sharks were credited with.... it's tough to take seriously what the Sharks were credited with in San Jose, their scorekeeper is pretty trigger happy and it's a major reason why when people try to make something meaningful out of more subjective stats (hits for example) they often try to correct for scorekeeper bias by using only road statistics.

As for shot blocking in general and comparing the Rangers and Canucks over the last few years, reasonably intelligent blogger Tyler Dellow took a look at this past season and found that the Rangers actually blocked fewer than average shots by defensemen and far far more than average shots by forwards (the Canucks blocked far fewer shots by forwards than average across the league), and also had their opponents forward attempt fewer shots as well.

So it would seem that Tortorella's club blocked more shots of the kind that we'd probably all agree are more dangerous (the ones taken by forwards) and that there is at the very least an indication that their style of defense also discouraged more dangerous shot attempts as well.

here is the post btw.

Anyway you'd probably have to look at these figures over several years but if the Canucks collapsing down in front of their own net means a higher percentage of shots are taken from less dangerous areas and that fewer of the more dangerous shots get through to the net, that is a good thing.

I do agree that piling up this particular statistic is not a good sign for a possession team (ie. the Ryan Johnson effect) but I don't think that being near the top is the worst thing in the world if there's reason to believe you're doing it right.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

ukcanuck wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:It's obvious that mike gillis has carte Blanche around here with most of you, like if he was banging your old lady you'd be at bedside with your poms poms cheering him on "Miley you're the best" but did your buddy the players agent just hire John "Bill Laforge" Torterella?

Dude that droning sound above your head is the point in blocking shots going right over your head...

Its not the direct result of a blocked shot that counts, although that is desirable (a scoring chance eliminated.) Its the effort and dedication and willingness to sacrifice the body to win that is the POINT. This team has been powder puff soft since before Burke got canned, and its pretty obvious to everyone including you that this line up was cowed by the Bruins in 2011, and has been pretty much twinky filling since their "revenge" game in Boston in 2012...

It matter's fuck all if the entire line up goes down to broken legs blocking shots this season if they are just gonna play perimeter hockey and skate away from midget rats in the final..

Torts is just making the changes most of us on here have wanted since Sedin was speed bagged...
Oh yeah, shot blocking really sets teams apart in the toughness department. Really, really does.

Keep on entertaining me with your idiotness uk. I love it.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote: Oh yeah, shot blocking really sets teams apart in the toughness department. Really, really does.

Well it does have some motivational aspects for sure. When a guy lays out and blocks a shot it does give a boost to the team. You might not think it's a big factor, but it is a factor.

I think the biggest reason Tortorella wants his guys to block shots is out of necessity. He likes to have his players play lower towards their own net, and that can leave the opposing D open and with more time. So to take some of that time away, the forwards need to get into the shooting lanes sooner. It would be nice if we didn't have to block so many shots, but allowing a shooting gallery from the point is a guaranteed way to lose games.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

If 2013 is any indication, Tortorella does allow "a shooting gallery from the point"..

..relative to most of the other teams in the league at any rate.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I love the Sedins on seperate lines. It's like adding another 1st line.

I've been calling for this for years.
If you need air...call it in
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

dbr wrote:If 2013 is any indication, Tortorella does allow "a shooting gallery from the point"..

..relative to most of the other teams in the league at any rate.
It's also worth noting that the NYR were 10th in the league in shots allowed last year. Still, graph shows why his forwards have to block shots. Some of it is "for the team", but I'd argue most of it is because you don't want that D-man to have all day to "wire a Garrison" from the slot. If you're going to out-number and support down low, the trade off is more time for their "D" up high.

At any rate, I think Canuck fans have made too big of a deal about this. The Canucks have proven they can't "flip the switch" to a greasier, grittier playoff style when it counts. Torts is going to demand that type of style (collapse on your goalie, hard on the walls, make/take a hit to make the play etc.) all season long. If our players are too fragile for that system, then we'll never go far in the playoffs anyways.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

RoyalDude wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:

Oh yeah, shot blocking really sets teams apart in the toughness department. Really, really does.

It's not the shot blocking dud it's the willingness to sacrifice the body.
That is tough, ask your liver about sacrifice there wheat belly..
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Uncle dans leg wrote:I love the Sedins on seperate lines. It's like adding another 1st line.

I've been calling for this for years.
Just the willingness to separate the twins is a breath of fresh air.
The team under AV was sooo stale and predictable
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

Although I was skeptical of the hiring at first, and although it's still way too early to tell obviously, I have really liked the presence of John Tortortella so far. The Canucks have looked gritter and tougher on the puck in this short season so far.

I also like the fact that Torts stuck it to CBC. He made Glen Healy look a little foolish from my perspective.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises