GDT: Canucks vs Coilers. 7:00 PM - HNiC.

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

herb
CC Legend

Re: GDT: Canucks vs Coilers. 7:00 PM - HNiC.

Post by herb »

SKYO wrote:Chippy game, glad we have got gritty guys like Sestito/Weise tonight! (ain't that right Herb/Jovocop) :P
Riiiiiight. Never once have said I don't want gritty guys. I'd just prefer they not be turnstiles.

Tortorella has solved Vancouver's perpetual fourth line woes by never playing them. Cool!
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

BurningBeard wrote:I can't believe I just watched that whole segment unroll live on air. It was amusing and awkward.
Totally! That was one awesome turn of events. I would have loved if the cameras had stayed on Healey and Friedman rather than go to a commercial break.

Kudos to Torts for sticking up for his players, and he shouldn't give a shit what CBC or Glen Healey, in particular, have to say.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

BurningBeard wrote: Healey, wanting to take the low road, feels the need to point out Torts just lost his job in New York. Freidman jumps on him for being a complete asshole, and asks him to not act like a 14 year old. Overall, really made the media look professional. :lol:
lol yeah that was entertaining as well, those little quips between Friedman and Healy. :lol:

Fiercely protective Torts!
person made this on twtr
And boother.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Reefer2 wrote:2 games in and 2 games with Luongo playing like he normally does in October.

It is going to be a long season.
What the fuck games have you been watching?

He was good against the Sharks, and in a 4-1 loss that's saying something. 16 saves in the first period. All the goals were pretty much post and in or into an empty net after Luongo had been taken out of the play by his own defenseman.

Bad goal to start tonight, and I didn't see the second one, but we won 6-2. That's a helluvalot better than his pre-season outing against the Oilers.

Get your head out of your ass Reefer. Seriously, you're as stupid sounding as RD with panic stricken shit like that.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Mëds wrote:
Reefer2 wrote:2 games in and 2 games with Luongo playing like he normally does in October.

He was good against the Sharks, and in a 4-1 loss that's saying something. 16 saves in the first period. All the goals were pretty much post and in or into an empty net after Luongo had been taken out of the play by his own defenseman.

Bad goal to start tonight, and I didn't see the second one, but we won 6-2. That's a helluvalot better than his pre-season outing against the Oilers.

Get your head out of your ass Reefer. Seriously, you're as stupid sounding as RD with panic stricken shit like that.
No kidding, I am not a big Luongo fan but besides the first goal tonight, he has been amazing.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Interesting that Hansen played like a beast on the Sedin line!

Which could open up the possibility of putting Burr on the 2nd line and Kass when he comes back on the 3rd, which would put less pressure on the kid and make our 3rd line much more dynamic with skill and size:

Higgy - Santo's - Kassian
:thumbs:
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Already with Torts I like how he gives the ice time to those that are performing well. You earn you get it.

Anyone else notice Hamhuis has been giving the puck away a lot more than is characteristic for him. Wonder if he is struggling learning this new system.

I think when Kassian, JS, and Burrows are all back we have the pieces to build a good 3rd and 4 the line. I'd give JS a shot at centre on the 3rd line. But I do think we need to let JS get some meaningful minutes this season, if he can stay healthy.
The only HW the Canucks need
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

herb wrote:
SKYO wrote:Chippy game, glad we have got gritty guys like Sestito/Weise tonight! (ain't that right Herb/Jovocop) :P
Riiiiiight. Never once have said I don't want gritty guys. I'd just prefer they not be turnstiles.

Tortorella has solved Vancouver's perpetual fourth line woes by never playing them. Cool!
Sestito.. played a solid 6 minutes tonight.. roughed up Smid.. entertained us by knocking the helmet off of Grabdick in a fight and getting a couple good hits and 2 shots on goal... Admit it Herb.. He had a dammm good night :)
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Still scratching my head over this game.. Dubnyk shitting the bed.. 2 top centers out .. and Canucks playing the best 60 minutes in a long time.. Edmonton D was piss poor... But credit to the Twins and Kesler for playing a great game.. Lou ? nothing special but played well after that first bad goal.. An entertaining game with everything going the Canucks way .. even the ref's were on our side :).. Fun to watch but not much of a test for the Canucks.. Same as Sharks game but opposite in play and results..

HW... personally would be happy if we never see JS again in a canucks uniform.. Maybe he can get his day job back playing piano for Lucy in the Peanuts comic strip? I have no use for untalented Smurf centers.
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Good game, promising on the style, and the Sedins feeling it. I like the play of Santorelli, for one, as he looks like 3rd/4th line staple if he can keep that energy/aggressiveness up. Now, can they do it against a team that isn't a cellar dwelling 'wait-til-next year..or the next year...or no, make it the year after that' team?

The Oilers clearly have top-end talent, but what the freak does McTavish know about managing a team? How about step #1, get a goalie!
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

Friedman "giving it" to Healy was great. As much as I hate the CBC,Mclean ,Cherry and all, I'll give Friedman credit for calling out Healy and his asinine comments. What an ass-hole.

Too bad they ran out of time. Friedman was about to really expose Healy for what he really is ,a complete moron.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Mëds wrote:

He let in a bad goal, in the other game he let in 1 bad goal just like he always does in October.

The difference is this year the Nucks have a much harder division and they cannot afford to have a slow start.

How about you get your head out of you ass, you sound like you had too much rum and coke.

Edit - the reason for this edit is that I forgot to address that in way am I blaming anything on Luongo for winning/losing these 2 games. In the first if it was not for him the score would be 4 - 1 after the first period. What I will say again is that he always has a tough October AND the Canucks cannot afford that this year.

now it is up the rest of the team do their part and show up better than they did against SJ.
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

I had a sense of foreboding when Lou let in the first shot on him, thankfully things turned around. I like the new relentless forecheck system, but as Kesler state after the game, it's going to take time to get their legs underneath them to maintain the Tort's approach.

One thing that I paid attention to last night was how Booth operates. I'm going to have to agree with what RD has been saying for quite awhile, "he's a one-dimensional player". There were numerous times when he had the puck in the offensive zone and there were team-mates open and he would predictably just shoot or try in his own way to make his way towards the net before losing it. At one point I counted a succession of 5 times when he had the puck and when he did try to make a pass through the neutral zone or in his own end, and the puck never made it to the stick of those he was passing to. Don't know what to make of him really. It must be frustrating for his line-mates? Seems like a bad mix for Kesler who would do better with someone who could set him up to shoot.

Still, it was a good effort by the team last night! You have to wonder if they'll have anything left for tonight? I suspect that they'll have to do something in the first and second before they're 'sapped' in the third.

Cheers
cc oldtimer
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

nuckster wrote:Seems like a bad mix for Kesler who would do better with someone who could set him up to shoot.
My thinking of late is Kesler would be best suited playing on a bang and crash line where garbage goals are the norm. Strangely, he looked pretty damn good last night for a shift or 2 with Tostito and Weezie. He doesn't really make that good of use of his linemates either and his 40 foot wristers aren't going to beat many goalies not named Dubnyk. He's a power forward who drives the net, stands in through the punishment, deflects point shots and bangs home 2nd and 3rd chances. Oh and his speed on the forecheck is pretty damn good too :P

Don't get me wrong, I like Kesler and am not suggesting he be our 3rd or 4th line centre...it's just his game seems to be better suited to a more physical brand of hockey and some skilled banging wingers would help his game come back around.

Wonder what it would take to weasel Hartnell out of Philly...
If you need air...call it in
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Tiger wrote:Sestito.. played a solid 6 minutes tonight...
Tom wasn't terrible...yay!

Speaking of terrible Canuck players, Alberts hasn't been missed at all in these first two games. With the way Torts likes to ride his top 4, and Stanton's serviceable play thus far, he may find himself on waivers before too long.

You can see why Torts wanted Corrado in Utica to get big minutes. He plays his top four 22-23 minutes per game each, and doesn't give a whole lot of ice time to his 6th guy.