GDT: Canucks at Sharks 7:00PM TSN

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Re: GDT: Canucks at Sharks 7:00PM TSN

Post by Rumsfeld »

Potatoe1 wrote: -Kesler, just an ok performance, looks bigger and stronger but doesn't seem to have the same stride that he once did. Hopefully just some early season rust and not a permanent problem.
Yeah.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

herb wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:Logan Couture can do it all.
Couture is what most of us thought Ryan Kesler was during the 2011 season. He is an absolutely complete player.

Brent Burns has been an absolute godsend to the Sharks forward group as well.
100% agree.

That Shark forward group might turn out to be the best in the West this season.

Thorton and Burns on the top line, Couture and Marleau on the second unit. Pavelski on the 3rd.

I think the Sharks are going to win the division in a walk this season, they are a very, very good team now.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Topper wrote:A few comments;

Defence, while not pinching, stay on the blue line much later than the previous administration allowed. While it created some additional offence, it also created several turnovers,odd man rushes and most of the Sharks goals.

When the defence does drop out of the offensive zone, they play a much tighter man defence through the neutral zone and into the defensive zone. It bottled up and frustrated the Sharks on many occasions and allowed the forwards a chance to get back. When it worked well it also allowed a faster transition to the offensive zone.

Good stuff Topper. The problem with a deep forecheck is that when you turn it over to fast teams like the Sharks you give up bigtime chances on the rush. We definitely saw some of that last night.

Way too early to say how effective Torts' system will be with this group, but I have some concerns based on this game and the preseason. It feels like we're playing a really offensive system with a pretty average offensive team and hoping Lu can plug the holes. I suspect we'll see a way more defensive game plan by the mid-point of the season.

That said, it took our team half a season to figure out AV's system back in '06/07. Of course it didn't hurt that Luongo was all-world the second half of that campaign as well... something he might have to be this year if we want to make any noise.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

One more thing for the plus column is this doesn’t look like the same AV led group which mailed it in on far too many occasions over the past two seasons. The team genuinely worked hard.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

herb wrote:One more thing for the plus column is this doesn’t look like the same AV led group which mailed it in on far too many occasions over the past two seasons. The team genuinely worked hard.
Teams pretty much always work hard in the honeymoon phase of a new coach, especially a rah rah kind of guy like Tortsy.

The team worked hard in the first season under Vigneault as well, they just couldn't score at all and Luongo took a few months to access God mode.

Hmm... can't score.. new coach.. new look league... Luongo looking great... holy shit it's 2006! :mrgreen:
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Rumsfeld wrote: Teams pretty much always work hard in the honeymoon phase of a new coach, especially a rah rah kind of guy like Tortsy.

The team worked hard in the first season under Vigneault as well, they just couldn't score at all and Luongo took a few months to access God mode.
Fair enough.

It just seemed to me that some of that “stiffness”, “bite” and being better along the wall Torts has been talking about was there.

Full credit to the Sharks, they deserved to win, but a handful of Canucks regulars are capable of playing a whole lot better than they did last night. Yeah, I’m looking at you Garrison, Hamhuis, Higgins, Hansen and even you Dale Weise.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

RoyalDude wrote: If Hertl and Nieto were drafted by Gillis they'd be in Utica right now
And how is that the GM's fault? You think Wilson made the call to keep those two on the team?

It's funny how you and Rummy dish out shit against Gillis and go on about how Burke and Nonis are to credit for the "success" of this franchise but bitch and complain that the likes of Ehrhoff, Malhotra, Torres would help this team which were all additions made under Gillis.

In the end, it was Coach V that was unable to play and develop forwards into the system. He had 7 years to play and develop the next generation but refused to do so.

Torts has had 1 game.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Yep, gonna take Torts a while to teach the boys the new system.

Looking forward to the day we finally break the jinx against the Sharks.

Oh they're good, just not as good as we made em look last night.

Torts can help them with that.

BTW am I imagining things or do the Sharks have a major hate-on for the Canucks? :eh:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Listercat
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Listercat »

Topper pretty much nailed the critical areas. There has definitely been a change in philosophy behind the bench. The Sedins seem seem to have bought in and are skating better than I have seen them. They appear to be a bit quicker. Their unqualified participation in the "new" systems is crucial to any success this team will enjoy.

The puck support along the boards in either end was also something that has been missing for the most part with the Canucks for awhile. The Sharks capitalized on turnovers in the neutral and D zones caused by veteran players who should know better. These should be eliminated as they become more accustomed to line mates and systems.

Special teams looked pretty good especially the PK. PP moved the puck well and the players were not stationary as has been the custom with the #1 unit the past 2 years.

While having players block shots is all very fine, injuries have to be a concern. Blocking cross crease passes is one thing, but blocking a 90+ MPH slapper is walking a fine line.

The 3rd line was barely adequate and the 4th was bloody awful. Yeah the Sharks are without doubt an early favourite in the West but the Canucks can certainly be better than they were in this one.
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt "
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Listercat wrote:Topper pretty much nailed the critical areas.
I thought Toppers assessment of the new system was ass backwards in a lot of ways, but hey if you sound like you know what you are talking about most will agree with you.

There has definitely been a change in philosophy behind the bench. The Sedins seem to have bought in and are skating better than I have seen them. They appear to be a bit quicker. Their unqualified participation in the "new" systems is crucial to any success this team will enjoy.
Totally agree.

The Sedins have been letting their defensive game slide for years under AV, last night was a total 180 IMO. Seems pretty clear that these guys are straight up fantastic player who will give you what ever you want until they run out of gas.

That BTW is the main problem having them kill penalties and block shots etc, it's just a lot to ask of small ish, guys who play way out west. They have always had a difficult time getting through the playoff grind, I don't think asking them to play this way is going to help.
The Sharks capitalized on turnovers in the neutral and D zones caused by veteran players who should know better. These should be eliminated as they become more accustomed to line mates and systems.
The most concerning turn overs for me were those made by the defencemen in the offensive zone. Those seemed somewhat chronic and in a system with a full 3 man forecheck the defenseman has zero back up. Garrison and Higgens had terrible turn overs in their own zone but those were just very random errors IMO

Special teams looked pretty good especially the PK. PP moved the puck well and the players were not stationary as has been the custom with the #1 unit the past 2 years.
I didn't think the power play moved the puck well at all TBH. Garrison can just rip the puck, but when it comes to zone entry and outlet passing a get why AV had him with the second unit.

Love the PK, was just fantastic. Only downside is that our best offensive players were also the guys killing penalties.

While having players block shots is all very fine, injuries have to be a concern. Blocking cross crease passes is one thing, but blocking a 90+ MPH slapper is walking a fine line.
Tanev is going to half dead by the 40 game mark. Wow did he take a beating.
The 3rd line was barely adequate and the 4th was bloody awful.
The 3rd line isn't close to adequate.
West but the Canucks can certainly be better than they were in this one.
They got fantastic games from their best players and still didn't look up too snuff. Perhaps they have more to give but it is going to take a massive improvement from the bottom part of our roster.

When your best players play well and you still lose it is a very bad sign.

IMO the Sharks are a clear notch above us right now.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Potatoe1 wrote:
I thought Toppers assessment of the new system was ass backwards in a lot of ways, but hey if you sound like you know what you are talking about most will agree with you.
LOL

case in point - Sedins - your smallish guys who should not be on the PK - LOL - 6'1" 187lbs and 6'2" 188lbs

as opposed to the PK stalwart Alexandre Burrows 6'1" 188lbs

So what the fuck are you talking about, whatever it is you sounded eloquent?
Last edited by Topper on Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Vader wrote:
Strangelove wrote: I'm hoping the 3rd line of Booth-Santorelli-Richardson works out.

Booth and Santorelli had a little magic together once upon a time.
Yup, like when they combined to be a -48 in 2011
Well I'm not much of a stat guy, but at this point I think I'm supposed to ask:

How were their Corsi numbers? :drink:

I notice they also supplied a combined 28% of the goals by forwards that year.

IIRC they were told that year to go full-out for offense and not worry about back-checking

(someone had to score for the Panthers that season!).

I wasn't saying last night that Booth + Santorelli = 43 goals again this season.

Or even that Santorelli won't get waived at some point this season.

I was just a guy trying to get psyched up for a goddamned hockey game. :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Vader wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: Who will Torts call out after the game, the refs, Thornton, Bieksa?
LOL at anyone who figures Bieksa will be a Tortorella whipping boy. He's exactly what Tortorella is preaching that he wants and lo and behold, look who's leading the team in ice-time through two periods
Torts will like Killer Kev... but he might end up having a bit of a problem with Casual Kev. :wink:

Who knows right? :mrgreen:

Bieksa ended up 3rd in dee icetime last night, 22+ minutes, right about where he usually is.

Not that it matters but since you brought it up...

I'll say this, he was surprisingly awesome on that penalty kill.

HEY BLOB, if you're gonna watch any of that game WATCH THE 2 MINUTE 5 ON 3 PP! :thumbs:

omg BURROWS!!
____
Try to focus on someday.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Topper wrote:
Potatoe1 wrote:
LOL

Well anyone who calls the Torts defensive system "a more aggressive man to man style" then the AV system, when it's CLEARLY the opposite should draw some lol's. But oh well. It was AV's defensive system that was much more aggressive and based on man to man coverage.

Amazing how the masses miss the obvious.

The main difference between the Torts and AV stystem is that in the offensive zone the forwards are more aggressive and the D's hold the point.

In the defensive zone there is FAR LESS "man to man" and they go into a much more passive zone type configuration and let the other team pass it around the outside while we clog the middle and block shots.

It's the same system that teams like the Kings and Bruins just killed us with the past few years (3 forward forecheck + collapse to the middle zone defense).

Not sure we have the right group to play like this but it is what it is.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Topper wrote: case in point - Sedins - your smallish guys who should not be on the PK - LOL - 6'1" 187lbs and 6'2" 188lbs

as opposed to the PK stalwart Alexandre Burrows 6'1" 188lbs

So what the fuck are you talking about, whatever it is you sounded eloquent?
The difference between the Sedins and Alex Burrows should be pretty obvious.

The Twins carry our offence both at even strength and on the power play. When they get worn down the offence suffers massively. There is no one else on this team who can even come close to doing what they do at the offensive end.

Alex is a complementary offensive player and an excellent defensive player. He will likely play the same role he did last year.

If the Twins are asked to take a more defensive role, block shots, kill penalties, etc, it will likely come at the expense of their offence, which is unfortunately something the team can ill afford to loose.

P.S. Thanks for noting I sounded eloquent.