GDT: Canucks at Sharks 7:00PM TSN

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Canucks at Sharks 7:00PM TSN

Post by Meds »

Vader wrote:
Mëds wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:This team shouldn't give the Canucks nearly as much trouble as they do . Canucks win 3 - 2 . Danny, Hansen and Garrison with the goals.

Well you got one thing right there Blob..... :roll:

Good first 30 minutes. Horrible final 30 minutes.
Jesus Mëds, what game were you watching? I know you don't have AV to whine about so I guess you saw a different game than I did

Canucks simply could not handle the Shark's speed (Younger bigger faster anyone?)

Luongo kept the score respectable for the first 30 minutes.
Well compared to last season?

And yes, Luongo had a strong game, really can't fault him on this. You could argue that he went down a bit early on Burns' goal, and Marleau's squeezed just under, but I don't hang any of this on him. No chance on the other two whatsoever.

Edler and Bieksa had horrible games. Absolutely horrible. Brain farts and some casual play. Hamhuis had some really bad moments too.

Our bottom six just had nothing against the Sharks.

I liked what I saw from the Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, Hansen, and Higgins. Even Booth had moments.....but he's not going to turn any heads on defense. Higgins sealed the game for San Jose on his one useless play though.

Tanev was pretty good, just late on Braun's goal.

The Sharks are a very good team right now. They are quick, strong on the puck, aggressive on defense, block shots, fill lanes, and more poised under pressure than the Canucks.....though it is easier to play that way when the puck support away from the play is so good.

Turn the page.
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Mëds said :
Our bottom six just had nothing against the Sharks.

I liked what I saw from the Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, Hansen, and Higgins. Even Booth had moments.....but he's not going to turn any heads on defense. Higgins sealed the game for San Jose on his one useless play though.
Uh huh.... The 4th line played a total of 3 1/2 minutes and didn't get scored against.. In fact Sesito had the same amount of SOG as D Sedin .. NONE .. But got to agree the 3rd line looked lousy.. So now we got a 1st line that played ok defensively ( a good 3rd line ? ) but can't score.. Kesler and 2 good 3rd line players on the 2nd line and F* all else for offence..
Lou played a decent game.. Not a lot else to take home from this one.
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Blob, worth watching if you want to see the difference between AV and Tortorella. Or you can just read on for an expert synopsis.

A few comments;

Defence, while not pinching, stay on the blue line much later than the previous administration allowed. While it created some additional offence, it also created several turnovers,odd man rushes and most of the Sharks goals.

When the defence does drop out of the offensive zone, they play a much tighter man defence through the neutral zone and into the defensive zone. It bottled up and frustrated the Sharks on many occasions and allowed the forwards a chance to get back. When it worked well it also allowed a faster transition to the offensive zone.

Defensively, players collapse to the crease and clog up shooting lanes not the slot to take away cross ice passing lanes.

Overall, it is a man to man defence system with pressure on the puck carrier forcing quick decisions and errant passes rather than the zone defence that took away passing lanes. It worked very well on the PK. It concentrates on one on one puck battles but I think if they are going to do that, they may have to bring a second player late with the first defender taking the man and the late help mopping up the puck. It is what we saw most teams doing very effectively in the playoffs.

Offensively, much more effort on carrying the puck out of the defensive zone and through the neutral zone. Gone were the long breakout passes to a predetermined spot where a breaking forward would get to and defenders had figured out a year and a half ago.

A rough game for turnovers and penalties. Mental mistakes that can and will be improved upon (or else). At least the first period and the PK showed promise.

Now where is that pool betting how many games before Torts reduces Edler to tears?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Got a good feeling with this group, Dalpe, Richardson, Weber, Stanton, Santorelli, Sestito is exactly what this aging core group who can't score needs to get them back to Lord Stanley. Those guys are household names, superstars.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Dalpe, Richardson, Weber, Stanton, Santorelli, Sestito are such a massive improvement over Erhoff, Salo, Rome, Raymond, Torres, Malhotra, Samuelsson, Hordichuk, Glass, Pahlsson, Volpatti etc.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Afterall not everything was so bad as the score could indicate. The 5 on 3 pk and Burrows post shortly afterwards was promising. Who knows what had happened with another lead on the table... on to the Oil.

PS: nobody can say they didn't tried, is that a good or a bad sign?
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

Anyone else notice the Sedins killing a penalty with a minute left in a 4-1 game?

WTF Torts...are you stupid? Is there no one else he could have used out there?

I don't mind the Sedins on the PK, once in a while....but at a meaningless point in the game? That is just nonesense. One shot off the ankle of either Hank or Dan and we're screwed. Actually Danny did take one off the foot...
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Blob, there was some good and quite a bit of bad in this one; lots of penalties and some just downright bad giveaways that gave the game away. The Canucks had three point blank chances that didn’t lead to goals by Burrows, Higgins and Booth which could have led to a different outcome. At times, when things were clicking, it looked like the Canucks would win this one, but the wheels fell off with some bad turnovers and quick strikes by SJ.

Luongo played well, which was good to see. He is going to have to.

Defensively, I thought the Canucks were OK at times and very bad at others. Ugly turnovers cost us this one. The usually reliable Hamhuis, Higgins and Garrison all had glaring and downright ugly turnovers that we will not see on most nights. Stanton was nearly unplayable last night. I’m giving it three weeks before Corrado is with the big club for good.

Offensively and in the corners I thought Vancouver played an aggressive and physical game. Couture, Burns, Pavelksi, Thornton and Marleau get and shoot the puck very quickly. Luongo could have stopped Marleau’s shot had he been set, but Marleau received the pass and released the shot so quickly Luo didn’t have a chance to get set. You don’t see that much with our forward group right now.

The Canucks are going to be in tough this year, I don’t think anybody denied that.
If Dalpe, Sesito and Weise are only good enough to play 3 or 4 minutes, I don’t think it will be long before we see Jensen, Schroeder and Lain playing consistently in Vancouver. Heck, maybe Mallet and Archibald will see some action.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Thanks for the reviews guys. I guess there's really no need to watch it at this point. I wonder if Puddles actually watched the game or just the highlights. I think tant said it, that he can cry and bitch about everything and then he is right if the team goes into the tank, but then he gets to play fan if the team does well. :scowl:

Will be nice to see a coupke games this weekend. This fucking shiftwork is killing me at this point. Hate it.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Cookie La Rue wrote:Afterall not everything was so bad as the score could indicate.
What? It should have been 7-1.

The Sharks just own the Canucks right now. The effort was there but we're simply not a very talented forward group once you get past the Sedins.

Logan Couture can do it all. Do you think there's a GM in the league who would take Daniel Sedin over this kid RIGHT NOW? I don't. Speaking of the Speedbag™, it made me sad to watch him last night and imagine a 7+ mill cap hit for this player YEARS from now.

It's funny, the Sedins used to shred San Jose down low but the Sharks have really learned how to lean on them in the corners until they cough it up. It seems like more than a few teams are using this strategy to great effect on the twins now.

Liked the physical play from the Canucks. Luongo held them in there really well too.

Torts is awesome at facial expressions behind the bench. Maybe he should have been a mime.

Anyway there is some good news... Calgary's next!
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

herb wrote: Luongo played well, which was good to see. He is going to have to.

Defensively, I thought the Canucks were OK at times and very bad at others. Ugly turnovers cost us this one. The usually reliable Hamhuis, Higgins and Garrison all had glaring and downright ugly turnovers that we will not see on most nights. Stanton was nearly unplayable last night. I’m giving it three weeks before Corrado is with the big club for good.
Luongo had a good game and it is only October. I would take that as a good sign.

Every single defenseman had a mistake of two last night, including the reliable Hamhuis and Garrison. I believe that it has to do with not playing enough preseason games for all the top-four.

I thought Stanton had an OK game. He did not make any glaring mistake. After all, as a 6th defenseman, he only had less than 10 minutes ice time. At least he was only -1 instead of Alberts -3 or -4 per game...
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Rumsfeld wrote:Logan Couture can do it all.
Couture is what most of us thought Ryan Kesler was during the 2011 season. He is an absolutely complete player.

Brent Burns has been an absolute godsend to the Sharks forward group as well.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

So did anyone actually see Booth on the ice last night? Apparently he got just over 12 minutes of ice time. :?

Luongo looked like our best player, and I only noticed one belly flop - results of a new goaltending coach?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

The best thing about this game is the six-page GDT. Nice to see.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Yes I did notice Booth. He had a couple of nice hits and a point blank chance when Santorelli fed him the puck from behind the net. Niemi made a nice save. Booth didn’t play all that much with all the penalties.

Speaking of Booth, I’d really prefer him with Kesler and Higgins and Hansen on the same line. Booth and Kesler had ideal possession numbers back in 2012 when they played together. Higgins and Hansen together are really our only hope of having an effective third line. They play really well together, and I thought Richardson looked OK with them (probably because Higgins and Hansen are pretty much your ideal NHL third liners).

Santorelli was a disappointment last night, and I think he’ll really struggle against the better teams. He is OK as a 13th forward, but Schroeder should play ahead of him (when healthy).

Jesus Christ Sestito is useless. This guy got two year contract that will pay him $1.5M? Fuck me. His “toughness” and “veteran presence” out there was a real boon to our productivity, eh Tiger & Todd?

There’s no doubt the Sharks are a faster and deeper team.

The Canucks really need some young guys to push their way up the line up. Unfortunately, I would classify my confidence in guys like Schroeder, Kassian, Lain, Jensen, and Dalpe as hopeful rather than confident. Not the adjective I want to be using in an ideal world, that’s to be sure.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

RoyalDude wrote:Got a good feeling with this group, Dalpe, Richardson, Weber, Stanton, Santorelli, Sestito is exactly what this aging core group who can't score needs to get them back to Lord Stanley.

In fairness to the "aging core group" they were the only players keeping their heads above water last night and didn't look to be "aging" at all.

The Canucks actually weren't that bad last night but that Sharks team is bigger younger faster and better. Our top2 lines were fine and held there own in terms of territorial play, but our bottom 6 just got bitch slapped by the Sharks.

You simply cant keep your head above water when one teams 3rd line features Joe Pavelski and yours is manned by 2 guys who were healthy scratches last year and a 3rd who has been rehabbing the last 8 months.

We also made a boat load of mistakes and took some poor penalties, given the guys who made the mistakes I suspect some of it had to do with learning a new system rather then a systemic problem.

-Sedins + Burrows were our best skaters by a fricken country mile. Excellent at both ends, was very nice to see this type of performance, if they are in decline they certainly didn't show it tonight.

-Kesler, just an ok performance, looks bigger and stronger but doesn't seem to have the same stride that he once did. Hopefully just some early season rust and not a permanent problem.

-Bieksa / Edler, both looked quite comfortable in the more zone oriented defensive scheme. Lots of minutes, few mistakes and a good amount of bite to their games.

-Garrison / Hamhuis, both looked somewhat uncomfortable. Lots of very uncharacteristic mistakes from the pair. Hamhuis struggled up ice and Garrison in our own zone. Both had a rough start last year so hopefully they get it going.

-Fantastic game for Lu. gave up 4 goals bit was peppered and those that beat him were post and in. He was in position, reading the play, and tracking the puck well. I always maintained that Lu was a bad fit for the dominating puck possession Canuck teams of the past few years. I think he will see more rubber but fewer odd man rushes which better suits his game.

-3rd line. Major work do with this group, I just cant see the current trio holding serve against top 2, and in some cases even 3rd lines on other teams. Will need to be sheltered which puts major defensive pressure on our top6. I was wondering about the Richardson signing this summer but now I'm kind of perplexed. Lappy seems like the superior player in just about every way. It's fine to make changes for the sake of change but it seems like every time we change the roster we actually downgrade it.

-It's tough to look terrible when you only play 3 min, but our 4th line managed to do it. 2 year deal for a plug like Sestito who we now discover has conditioning problems, wow...