Predictions for Canucks 2013-14 Season

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

How will the Canucks do this year?

Poll ended at Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:38 pm

They will be a top seed in the West and challenge for a President's Trophy again
33%
They are a middle of the pack team and will catch one of the bottom playoff spots
51%
They will not make the playoffs, it's really time to rebuild
16%

Total votes: 43

Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Predictions for Canucks 2013-14 Season

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

OK, it's the eve of the season opener, How will the Canucks do in the 2013-14 season?
Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: Predictions for Canucks 2013-14 Season

Post by Meds »

At first I thought we would see them barely tread water for the first couple of months, then I thought for sure they would sink after the first couple of pre-season games. Then I was back to treading water, then sinking, but after the NYR game I am thinking we will be surprised.

Luongo has looked very good in his last 2 starts. 6-1 and 5-0 wins. I'm almost ready to call for a bounce back year from him where he has something to prove to the hockey world. The PP has looked good, and the team has been better along the boards, especially in their own end in the corners. So who can call it really.

I do think they'll be a playoff team at this point, but they will definitely have trouble with the Sharks and Kings.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

I predict this thread will be on page 2 by November.

Also, might want to add an option between "top team in the West" and "barely making the playoffs".
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

I believe that the Canucks would have no problems making the playoffs. It is still to early to predict how they would do in the playoffs with too much uncertainties, trades, injuries, matchups...
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Jovocop wrote:I believe that the Canucks would have no problems making the playoffs. It is still to early to predict how they would do in the playoffs with too much uncertainties, trades, injuries, matchups...
Yeah, last season was a tough one to predict with the shortened schedule but this season is even tougher.

One thing is, in my mind, for certain: this team is not as good as it was in '11 and '12 and those hoping it will be are going to be very disappointed.

Be pretty surprised if we missed the playoffs though.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

One more prediction:

All the idiot AV-haters are going to be looking back fondly at his unparalleled run of success in a year or two.

Yeah, the guy made some head-scratching decisions... so does every coach.

Fuck, people talk about poor Lu... it's sad how little respect and appreciation Alain gets around here. As if we won back-2-back PTs and made it to the Final in SPITE of the guy.

Morons. :mrgreen:
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Rumsfeld wrote:One more prediction:

All the idiot AV-haters are going to be looking back fondly at his unparalleled run of success in a year or two.

Fuck, people talk about poor Lu... it's sad how little respect and appreciation Alain gets around here. As if we won back-2-back PTs and made it to the Final in SPITE of the guy.

I do not hate AV as a person but some of his decisions are costly for the Canucks.

- Leaving Luongo in games when he already gave up more than 5 goals. AV should have pulled him whether Luongo wanted to or not.
- did not properly utilize Ballard.
- putting Bieksa and Edler as the top pairing...
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Jovocop wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:One more prediction:

I do not hate AV as a person but some of his decisions are costly for the Canucks.

- Leaving Luongo in games when he already gave up more than 5 goals. AV should have pulled him whether Luongo wanted to or not.
- did not properly utilize Ballard.
- putting Bieksa and Edler as the top pairing...
All valid.

Have you seen the list of shit that Rangers fans wanted to crucify Torts for? They thought he'd never work again.

Same goes for the esteemed Claude Julien in Boston, who now shits solid gold but a couple years ago was a playoff loss away from head-on-a-spike time. Bruins forums were absolutely crucifying the guy.

As an aside, I really hate that fat disgusting bastard Julien. The whining fucker breaks a poutine sweat walking to the bench.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Rumsfeld wrote:pout
As an aside, I really hate that fat disgusting bastard Julien. The whining fucker breaks a poutine sweat walking to the bench.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
If you need air...call it in
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mondi wrote: The Canucks will finish 2nd, 3rd or 4th in the division. Therefore they will play SJ or LA in the first round with almost certainty.

Anyway you slice it...

1. LA
2. SJ/Van
3. Van/SJ
4. Edm/Van

Only possible matchups are LA and SJ.
Thanks Einstein! :thumbs:

:roll:
Mondi wrote: If I had to go one step further, gone in 6 in the first round.
Okay, well I'm outta here then, see you boys next year!
Mondi wrote: Any team that dumps its MVP and replaces him with a rookie and then swaps Roy for Richardson and Lapierre for Dalpe should expect to be no better than the year before. That is not to mention the departure of Ballard and Raymond for nothing in return.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

I get a kick out of people pointing at the 2011 lineup and talking about how similar it is.

Oh yeah, it's pretty similar except our four best players (Sedins, Kesler, Luongo) are quite clearly significantly worse than they were in 2011. I have some hope for Kesler returning to that form, but the others? No. Edler was also much better in 2011 than he has been since.

We had the one of the best puck-moving PP QBs in the league (Ehrhoff), who is gone.

We had the best shutdown center in the game (Malhotra), also gone.

We had the best wrecking ball in the league (Torres), and Lappy was playing way over his head.

And keep in mind that powerhouse 2011 team really wasn't that great in the playoffs. Our skill and depth almost got us all the way but we were oh-so-nearly humiliated by the Hawks, squeaked by Nashville on the back of Ryan Kesler, had one fantastic series against the Sharks, and then, yeah, the Bruins. :? It was really nothing like the impressive Final runs we've seen in recent years from the Kings, Hawks, Ducks and Wings.

Since then it's been an annual playoff shitkicking. So I kind of chuckle when this year's team gets compared to the '11 team, because it makes way more sense to compare it to last year's team.

Anyway go Canucks. :(
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Mondi wrote:The Canucks will finish 2nd, 3rd or 4th in the division. Therefore they will play SJ or LA in the first round with almost certainty.

Anyway you slice it...

1. LA
2. SJ/Van
3. Van/SJ
4. Edm/Van

Only possible matchups are LA and SJ.

If I had to go one step further, gone in 6 in the first round.

Any team that dumps its MVP and replaces him with a rookie and then swaps Roy for Richardson and Lapierre for Dalpe should expect to be no better than the year before. That is not to mention the departure of Ballard and Raymond for nothing in return.

Only reason to think they may improve upon last year is that Kesler and Booth may play a bigger % of the games.
LA finished 1st and Edmonton in the top 4?? Wow, that is a very bold prediction.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Rumsfeld wrote:I get a kick out of people pointing at the 2011 lineup and talking about how similar it is.

Oh yeah, it's pretty similar except our four best players (Sedins, Kesler, Luongo) are quite clearly significantly worse than they were in 2011. I have some hope for Kesler returning to that form, but the others? No. Edler was also much better in 2011 than he has been since.

We had the one of the best puck-moving PP QBs in the league (Ehrhoff), who is gone.

We had the best wrecking ball in the league (Torres), and Lappy was playing way over his head.

And keep in mind that powerhouse 2011 team really wasn't that great in the playoffs. Our skill and depth almost got us all the way but we were oh-so-nearly humiliated by the Hawks, squeaked by Nashville on the back of Ryan Kesler, had one fantastic series against the Sharks, and then, yeah, the Bruins. :? It was really nothing like the impressive Final runs we've seen in recent years from the Kings, Hawks, Ducks and Wings.

Since then it's been an annual playoff shitkicking. So I kind of chuckle when this year's team gets compared to the '11 team, because it makes way more sense to compare it to last year's team.

But now we have Garrison, Booth, Kassian, Santorelli, Richardson, and Corrado (he'll be up). :rockin:

*wonders if he should have included Santorelli and Richardson* :look:

*leaves bag of bud on Rummy's desk*
____
Try to focus on someday.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Strangelove wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:I get a kick out of people pointing at the 2011 lineup and talking about how similar it is.

But now we have Garrison, Booth, Kassian, Santorelli, Richardson, and Corrado (he'll be up). :rockin:

*wonders if he should have included Santorelli and Richardson* :look:

*leaves bag of bud on Rummy's desk*
Garrison cancels out Salo and Booth cancels out Sammy.

So yeah, we have Kassian.

Who so far doesn't cancel out a cat turd.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Yeah well I say he does cancel out a cat turd! :evil:

wait....

Listen Rummy, even the supergenius Mondi can't predict how good Frankie and Zack will be!

Salo was shit that year and Sammy crapped out in the playoffs (wasn't he injured?).

Also there are those who questioned Ehrhoff's playoff compete level. :hmmm:

Anyway, you are a fan budz.

You gotsta BELIEVE. :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.