Re-sign the Sedins thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re-sign the Sedins?

Yes
75%
No
11%
Maybe
9%
Who gives a shit
5%

Total votes: 44

herb
CC Legend

Re: Re-sign the Sedins thread

Post by herb »

dbr wrote:What's especially funny about this (as you've intimated) is that even getting a Hall, RNH and Yakupov is no guarantee of any success.
No guarantee at all. The Lightening, Oilers and Islanders are still shitty teams, and OV hasn't won a cup in Washington. Sure, drafting high worked well for the Blackhawsk and Penguins, but they also built extremely deep teams.

Look at Calgary and how they are rushing Monahan into the lineup after saying they wouldn't rush him into the lineup. It's not just about picking well, but building through trades and signings while developing a culture of winning.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Why are we talking about paying Dan the same amount as Hank?
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Rumsfeld wrote:Why are we talking about paying Dan the same amount as Hank?
Because the twins insist they both get paid the same amount. Separate deals = no deal.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Per wrote:
Because the twins insist they both get paid the same amount. Separate deals = no deal.
Then they can both get paid what Dan's been worth the last couple seasons.... 5 million per.
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

Rumsfeld wrote:
Per wrote:
Then they can both get paid what Dan's been worth the last couple seasons.... 5 million per.
I could live with $5M per for 3 years.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Oh you could live with that could ya Pauser? :lol:

Anyway, my apprehension with the numbers being bandied about is that I don't think we should be paying the Sedins NOW based on what they accomplished in their peak seasons from '09-11.

I think we should be paying them based on how we think they'll perform when they're well past their physical prime, from '15-19 or whatever term they decide on.

Therein lies the rub for yours truly.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Yes 5 million per is the going rate for ppg players. This place is like a fucking meth lab sometimes but it lacks WW. Too many Badgers and Pinkmans running around and a few Flynns for sure.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

^^ You need a Heisenberg to make the decisions.

In the real world, this boils down to the best return on the cap$, & keeping the boss happy.

Some comparable cap hits, from contracts beginning 2013:

Semin 7M$
Rask 7M$
Pietrangelo 6.5M$
J. Staal 6.0M$
Hall 6.0M$
Eberle 6.0M$
Lucic 6.0M$

PS - These guys all have one thing in common. They're younger than the Sedins.
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Rumsfeld wrote:
Per wrote:
5 for both per then it's their decision to share it equally... :lol:
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

sagebrush wrote:^^ You need a Heisenberg to make the decisions.

In the real world, this boils down to the best return on the cap$, & keeping the boss happy.

Some comparable cap hits, from contracts beginning 2013:

Semin 7M$
Rask 7M$
Pietrangelo 6.5M$
J. Staal 6.0M$
Hall 6.0M$
Eberle 6.0M$
Lucic 6.0M$

PS - These guys all have one thing in common. They're younger than the Sedins.
Are you really comparing them to the Sedins??

Semin only has one season with over 1ppg. He is 100x softer than the Sedins.
Rask is a goalie
Pietrangelo is a defenseman
Staal's best season was 50 points
Hall's best season was 53 points
Eberle's best season was 76 points
Lucic's best season was 68 points

None of them seem to be in the same range as the Sedins, at least not now.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Obviously if the twins were in their earl to mid 20's you do 8 years at 8 million each cap hit. But they are not in their early to mid 20's. On a 1-2 year deal give them their 7-7.5 but if they want and MG wants term, like 4-5 years then the cap has to be in the low 6's. So to me it depends upon the term both sides can agree to and want.

It wasn't that long ago Hank said they wanted to go year to year and now they are talking about one last contract. I' d be happy with a two year deal at this point and for the big cap hit. Let's face it,if we really are at a half closed window then better to be on a short deal with these two.
The only HW the Canucks need
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

Hockey Widow wrote:Obviously if the twins were in their earl to mid 20's you do 8 years at 8 million each cap hit. But they are not in their early to mid 20's. On a 1-2 year deal give them their 7-7.5 but if they want and MG wants term, like 4-5 years then the cap has to be in the low 6's. So to me it depends upon the term both sides can agree to and want.

It wasn't that long ago Hank said they wanted to go year to year and now they are talking about one last contract. I' d be happy with a two year deal at this point and for the big cap hit. Let's face it,if we really are at a half closed window then better to be on a short deal with these two.
Half closed window? Have you seen what our bottom 6 looks like? Hell, have you seen what our bottom 9 looks like? Our window was slammed shut long ago.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

The_Pauser wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Obviously if the twins were in their earl to mid 20's you do 8 years at 8 million each cap hit. But they are not in their early to mid 20's. On a 1-2 year deal give them their 7-7.5 but if they want and MG wants term, like 4-5 years then the cap has to be in the low 6's. So to me it depends upon the term both sides can agree to and want.

Half closed window? Have you seen what our bottom 6 looks like? Hell, have you seen what our bottom 9 looks like? Our window was slammed shut long ago.
And your idea of opening another window is blowing the whole wall off the side of your house. Brilliant.
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

I'd rather blow the whole wall off the side of the house and begin rebuilding a new window now than to just sit around for a few years and have to eventually do that anyway.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

well you would be in for a few cold winters, cause everybody knows you need to have a replacement window ready before you get rid of the old one. :D