Dining in Vancouver

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Dining in Vancouver

Post by KeyserSoze »

dangler wrote: been hittin the Tacofino @ Hastings/Nanaimo for their chorizo burrito verry tasty!!
Great tacos. La Taqueria is also very good.

A new taco place called Gringo is opening soon in Blood Alley (in the old Judas Goat spot).
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

KeyserSoze wrote:Recently spent 10 days travelling down the coast from San Fran to LA.

Had a lot of great meals.

Best of the trip had to be at Ink in LA. Michael Voltaggio (Top Chef season 6 winner) is doing some really creative things...but not over the top where you don't know wtf you're eating. We ordered 6 plates, and 5 were really good. The service was equally as good. There were a lot of staff, our drinks were never empty, and each dish came with a detailed explanation of the ingredients and preparation.

http://mvink.com/food/
Very nice menu. Some very classical pairings and techniques being revised. Great to see. Asparagus cooked on hay reminded me of when I made a prosciutto, half way through the cure I cut off a piece and used it for an Easter ham. I cooked that on hay and it was fantastic.

I stopped in my tracks when I read the branzino dish. Brandade is a favourite of mine and the branzino-cauliflour combo would work wonders.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Skyo wants to know what the cheese dogs are like at the Orange Julius in Kingsgate mall.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

haven't had one of those in years, how are they rummy?
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

dangler wrote: been hittin the Tacofino @ Hastings/Nanaimo for their chorizo burrito verry tasty!!
La Mezcaleria on the Drive is quite decent too for mexican food,be sure to have a refreshing mechilada with your meal!!

Also the la Villetta at Hastings/Ingleton has been my favourite Italian joint for awhile, the linguine siciliana and canneloni are delicious.
Gotta try that La Villetta, haven't checked that joint, it sounds good!
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

Topper wrote: I stopped in my tracks when I read the branzino dish. Brandade is a favourite of mine and the branzino-cauliflour combo would work wonders.
The branzino was outstanding...the roasted cauliflower and fermented grapes were perfect pairings.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

SKYO wrote:
La Mezcaleria on the Drive is quite decent too for mexican food,be sure to have a refreshing mechilada with your meal!!

Also the la Villetta at Hastings/Ingleton has been my favourite Italian joint for awhile, the linguine siciliana and canneloni are delicious.
Gotta try that La Villetta, haven't checked that joint, it sounds good!
That's been my North BBY favorite for many years. Every time I come back to town I try to go...

Has Ville de Lupo on Hamilton gone under? That place used to be amazing. If you can book the cellar dining table, it made for a really nice night...but bring your gold card as a night of wine and food was well over a grand
If you need air...call it in
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

In Van for a conference. Hit Portland Craft on Main, forgettable beer, crappy charcuite.

Glad I trimmed my beard so I could blend in with the hipsters.

Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Topper wrote:In Van for a conference. Hit Portland Craft on Main, forgettable beer, crappy charcuite.

Glad I trimmed my beard so I could blend in with the hipsters.
Aging Hipster! :twisted:

You should go to Pidgin...it's all the rage :D

Got a buddy that works there...good times!
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Once again, incredible sashimi feast at Ajasai. The dry squid on their special sheet may be the best prep of squid I have ever had.

KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

Dinner at The Pointe restaurant at the Wickaninnish Inn this past weekend...wow. One of the best overall dining experiences I've ever had. It was only the 2nd night of their new early-2014 menu, but everything we had was perfection, cocktails included. Service was just as good.
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

Topper wrote:Once again, incredible sashimi feast at Ajasai. The dry squid on their special sheet may be the best prep of squid I have ever had.
Somewhere I'd like to try...http://minamirestaurant.com/
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Topper wrote:Once again, incredible sashimi feast at Ajasai. The dry squid on their special sheet may be the best prep of squid I have ever had.
Yeah, every single time I come home from a work trip or any trip where sushi isn't at par like it is in Vancouver, namely fucking disgusting crap they try to pass off as sushi in Toronto or anywhere in their surrounding areas, I head to Ajisai. Thanks for the recommendation, Topper. I know at least you know good sushi, unlike stupid people from Toronto who think they know any sort of sushi art. Those restaurants there are a disgrace to good sushi anywhere. The cheap bento places on Robson >>> than Toronto sushi and the fucking retards that eat there and think it's good.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

LotusBlossom wrote:
Yeah, every single time I come home from a work trip or any trip where sushi isn't at par like it is in Vancouver, namely fucking disgusting crap they try to pass off as sushi in Toronto or anywhere in their surrounding areas, I head to Ajisai. Thanks for the recommendation, Topper. I know at least you know good sushi, unlike stupid people from Toronto who think they know any sort of sushi art. Those restaurants there are a disgrace to good sushi anywhere. The cheap bento places on Robson >>> than Toronto sushi and the fucking retards that eat there and think it's good.
At least you won't have Spidey calling you a Toronto fan.

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

LotusBlossom wrote:
Ajisai is on par with the best place I was taken in Sapporo though on my last visit I did notice the place is in desperate need of a coat of paint and new furniture.

As for "sushi art". What the hell is that?

Sushi has its origins as a street food. It is to be eaten (ecept for sashimi) with the fingers. In European terms it is more akin to Naples pizza than La Grande Cuisine Francias.

Fresh ingredients, simply treated are the rules. Yet another reason I enjoy Ajisai.