Canucks Training Camp - News & Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Training Camp - News & Notes

Post by Chef Boi RD »

hist wrote:Horvat's been sent back to Junior. I assume to make room for Dalpe?
LMAO...ole brass balls Gillis, living right on the edge with always playing it safe. We are the new Calgary Flames, Pro-Journeymen, Anti Drafting and Developing...Fuck the guy is useless. So when Kassian comes back, Shinkaruk gets the boot and like clockwork, Luggage Eyes goes into his 6th season is it? Lost count. 6th season, after 6 drafts, with none of his draft picks making the team, thats progress, thats a sign of a good GM.

I can't wait to watch Santorelli, Richardson, Sestito, Dalpe, Higgins, Booth, Weber etc.These guys are difference makers, it's no wonder why we send the kids down, when you are stacked with fantastic journeymen like this that give great hope to the future.

Anyhow, thank Dave Nonis for drafting Corey Schneider otherwise Gillis would not have Bo Horavat. The Debauchery continues.

Yay, Vancouver Flames
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
CrzyCanuck
CC Legend

Post by CrzyCanuck »

RoyalDude wrote:
hist wrote:Luggage Eyes
Luggage Eyes or Double-patty chin?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

will we ever get a normal GM lol
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Looks like things will pan out roughly like I thought they would earlier in the summer.. this is going to be a transition year and the team will move towards a youth movement but it's just not there yet in terms of producing NHL players so for now it means allowing younger players to earn roles here, trying to find upside in players who aren't a fit elsewhere and filling in the gaps to ice a winning team while some of the kids we've brought into the organization the last few years season up a bit in their respective leagues.

Some people have drawn parallels between this Zac Dalpe trade and the Patrick Sharp deal Chicago pulled in 2006, I'll just say that while those parallels do exist that's an extreme best case scenario and even then they force fed him top six ice time and it still took a year and a half for him to break out offensively (not coincidentally when Toews and Kane came into the league).

For now I'll just say that having a player like Dalpe who has had a cup of coffee at the NHL level and should have an idea of what it takes to succeed in this league is welcome - we already have a player like that in Jordan Schroeder and this diversifies the risk a little bit so that hopefully when the inevitable Ryan Kesler injury comes and we are trying to put together three NHL calibre lines after the Sedin line, our chances will be much greater with Dalpe on board than they would have been if we had been stuck hoping that Santorelli, Schroeder and Richardson were all healthy and playing well at the same time.

As for Jeremy Welsh, I'll just say his contract is pretty ideal for a salary dump type of transaction in the new CBA. Cap hit of $850k means we don't have dead cap space when he ends up in the AHL, and a one way $1m salary means we got to flex our financial muscle a bit and pick up a young hockey player with some upside on the cheap. Nice to see we can still do this with Gary's new CBA in place.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

And for all of RoyalDude's pissing and moaning, we can expect most of the following under 25's to get a significant chance to earn a major role on this team:

Chris Tanev
Zac Dalpe
Jordan Schroeder
Zack Kassian
Frank Corrado
Nicklas Jensen

With Eddie Lack and Dale Weise just missing the cut off in terms of age.

Obviously every one of those players is not a cornerstone of the franchise (and never will be) but it's a start.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

dbr wrote:And for all of RoyalDude's pissing and moaning, we can expect most of the following under 25's to get a significant chance to earn a major role on this team:

Chris Tanev
Zac Dalpe
Jordan Schroeder
Zack Kassian
Frank Corrado
Nicklas Jensen

With Eddie Lack and Dale Weise just missing the cut off in terms of age.

Obviously every one of those players is not a cornerstone of the franchise (and never will be) but it's a start.
We have TWO guys named Zac(k)?! :o

Any chance of bringing Zigmund Palffy out of retirement, so we could have a Zig-Zac line?
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Probably more likely that we put in a claim on Boychuk if he hits waivers again this year so we can ice a Zach/Zac/Zack line..
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

A 6'2" 205lbs defenseman who put up a total of 256 PIMs in the last two seasons with the Icedogs. Not a very good fighter but definitely willing to stick up for his teammates. :)

Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Pardon my ignorance, but can the team assign Stanton to Utica without putting him through waivers? If not, this move doesn't make much sense. If they can, it doesn't seem like a bad move if they're looking for a possible AA replacement down the road.

Otherwise, colour me underwhelmed. :|
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Alberts replacement??
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

He has the punch power of a Strudwick or an Alberts....
If you need air...call it in
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

God, that play by play guy. It's like having Narduwar the Human Serviette calling games..
Lancer wrote:Pardon my ignorance, but can the team assign Stanton to Utica without putting him through waivers? If not, this move doesn't make much sense. If they can, it doesn't seem like a bad move if they're looking for a possible AA replacement down the road.

He has to clear waivers.. otherwise I can't imagine why Chicago would have waived him. :look:

He'll stick on the team for some time, I would guess they will either waive Alberts shortly or give them both a look and waive one eventually if Torts doesn't want to carry eight guys all year.

(Or I suppose there's an outside chance they've decided they can call up Corrado whenever they need an extra righty and can afford to lose Weber.. but that seems farfetched.)
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Lancer wrote:Pardon my ignorance, but can the team assign Stanton to Utica without putting him through waivers? If not, this move doesn't make much sense. If they can, it doesn't seem like a bad move if they're looking for a possible AA replacement down the road.

I have a feeling that Alberts will be placed on waivers today along with Sestito (hopefully) and Shinkaruk will be sent back to his junior team or Welsh might be able to sneak through the waivers due to his contract...
CanucksArmy ‏@CanucksArmy
Canucks with 26 on the roster, must get to 23 by 2PM. Kassian and Welsh waiver-ineligible. Shinkaruk eligible for juniors.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Uncle dans leg wrote:He has the punch power of a Strudwick or an Alberts....
Huh.... Alberts is a big marshmellow but Strudwick was a very good scrapper. Maybe you meant Bryan Allen ?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Dalpe has some offensive skills.