Canucks Training Camp - News & Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ESQ
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Training Camp - News & Notes

Post by ESQ »

Can anyone confirm the last time an 18 year old made the Canucks out of camp? Hodgson didn't do it, so I'm thinking it was Luc Bourdon?

Anyway, what a boost for the franchise getting two top offensive prospects in exchange for a jittery backup goalie!
hist
CC Rookie

Post by hist »

ESQ wrote:Can anyone confirm the last time an 18 year old made the Canucks out of camp? Hodgson didn't do it, so I'm thinking it was Luc Bourdon?

Anyway, what a boost for the franchise getting two top offensive prospects in exchange for a jittery backup goalie!
I don't think Bourdon did. Wasn't that one of the things that fueled the animosity towards him and the Canucks because they didn't draft Kopitar? Because Kopitar was already producing while Bourdon was still in the minors? (yes, I know some of it was also because we needed offense, not defense, but I thought this was part of it too).
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

I was thinking it was Linden but I'm not positive. Linden was drafted in '88 and played the 88-89 season scoring 59 pts in 80 games.

Bourdon was drafted in '05 and played 9 games in 06-07.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Benjo wrote:I was thinking it was Linden but I'm not positive. Linden was drafted in '88 and played the 88-89 season scoring 59 pts in 80 games.
Was just saying to the wife last night that I think Linden was the last one.

Let's keep in mind that it's EXTREMELY unlikely either of these boys stick around for more than 9.

Heck, even if they play extremely well they're gonna need luck (as in injuries).

But if even one of them stick; along with Corrado getting games fo sho; it's gonna make for a fun year! :thumbs:

Add better seasons from Luongo, Kesler, Booth, and Kassian (all of which are likely) and LOOKOUT!
____
Try to focus on someday.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Strangelove wrote:
Heck, even if they play extremely well they're gonna need luck (as in injuries).

But if even one of them stick; along with Corrado getting games fo sho; it's gonna make for a fun year! :thumbs:
Luck? To get injuries? On a team whose top 6 includes Booth and Kesler? C'mon now! Booth will be out for 3-6 months after his first regular season morning skate, and Kesler will need wrist/shoulder/hernia/six pack implant surgery by November.

Plus factor in the odss that Kassian will get suspended for biting Taylor Hall's ear off, Daniel and Henrik will get headhunted (again), and luck will have very little to do with it!
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

ESQ wrote:Can anyone confirm the last time an 18 year old made the Canucks out of camp? Hodgson didn't do it, so I'm thinking it was Luc Bourdon?

Nedved :look:
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

hist wrote:
I don't think Bourdon did. Wasn't that one of the things that fueled the animosity towards him and the Canucks because they didn't draft Kopitar? Because Kopitar was already producing while Bourdon was still in the minors? (yes, I know some of it was also because we needed offense, not defense, but I thought this was part of it too).
Ah right, Luc got his 9 games as a 19-year-old, but still had to be sent back to junior.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ESQ wrote:
Strangelove wrote:

Luck? To get injuries? On a team whose top 6 includes Booth and Kesler? C'mon now! Booth will be out for 3-6 months after his first regular season morning skate, and Kesler will need wrist/shoulder/hernia/six pack implant surgery by November.

Plus factor in the odss that Kassian will get suspended for biting Taylor Hall's ear off, Daniel and Henrik will get headhunted (again), and luck will have very little to do with it!
:lol:

:cry:

(I don't know whether to laugh or cry)

GOOD POINT!
____
Try to focus on someday.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Sami Salo seems past his glass past, why not Booth and Kes??
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Strangelove wrote: Let's keep in mind that it's EXTREMELY unlikely either of these boys stick around for more than 9.

Hell yeah, it's exciting to see some high caliber rookies on this team, who seem able to make an impact right away.

Horvat seems to be in the mold of Bergeron/Kesler/M Richards type, an all round Selke type of player who can be put in any situation, they take a smidgen longer to develop though compared to a raw flashy point producing player which Shinkaruk seems to be, he has natural elite puck skills like P. Kane, he'd probably be rookie of the year on a team that would give him a lot of minutes.

Regardless it's awesome to see! Image
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vader »

Petr Nedved
ESQ wrote: Anyway, what a boost for the franchise getting two top offensive prospects in exchange for a jittery backup goalie!
:roll:

Yeah, sure. Whatever
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

Vader wrote:
Petr Nedved
ESQ wrote: Anyway, what a boost for the franchise getting two top offensive prospects in exchange for a jittery backup goalie!
:roll:

Yeah, sure. Whatever
It's like deja vu all over again.
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

SKYO wrote:
Strangelove wrote: Let's keep in mind that it's EXTREMELY unlikely either of these boys stick around for more than 9.

Hell yeah, it's exciting to see some high caliber rookies on this team, who seem able to make an impact right away.
Am looking forward to seeing the kids develop. We haven't had much of this to watch since Burrows, Bieksa & Kesler established themselves in the line up.

However, the line up spot for Horvat or Shinkaruk could disappear after other teams are forced to waive players to meet the roster limit (by midnight Sunday). Gillis could make a waiver claim.

Capgeek says the Canucks have 1M$ of cap space available. They also have a few guys whose cap hit would disappear with demotion or LTIR (for an upgrade off waivers).
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Gillis starts his notorious trading away his draft picks already...
Canucks acquire Zac Dalpe and Jeremy Welsh from Hurricanes for Kellan Tochkin and a 2014 4th rounder
AHLers? Dalpe I guess has upside.

Dalpe C/W

6'1", 190 lbs, shoots right, be 24 in a month, has 10 pts in 41 games (NHL), but 138 pts in 181 games (AHL).
Assets: Has loads of scoring upside and the versatilty to play both center and wing effectively. Is a good shooter and passer, and has good speed. Displays good energy.

Flaws: Needs to add more bulk and become a more assertive physical player in order to maximize his overall potential. Also needs to continue refining his defensive game.

Career Potential: Talented forward with versatility and upside.
Jeremy Welsh - center
6'3", 200 lbs, 25 yrs old.
6 games in NHL with a point. 69 games with 29 pts (AHL)
Assets: Has the size and strength teams covet from the center position. Plays a solid two-way game and has a little upside as a scorer.
Flaws: May not be able to light the lamp with consistency at the National Hockey League level, so he needs to perfect the little things.
Career Potential: Big center with a little upside.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

SKYO wrote:Gillis starts his notorious trading away his draft picks already...
Canucks acquire Zac Dalpe and Jeremy Welsh from Hurricanes for Kellan Tochkin and a 2014 4th rounder
AHLers? Dalpe I guess has upside.

Dalpe C/W

6'1", 190 lbs, shoots right, be 24 in a month, has 10 pts in 41 games (NHL), but 138 pts in 181 games (AHL).
Assets: Has loads of scoring upside and the versatilty to play both center and wing effectively. Is a good shooter and passer, and has good speed. Displays good energy.

Flaws: Needs to add more bulk and become a more assertive physical player in order to maximize his overall potential. Also needs to continue refining his defensive game.

Career Potential: Talented forward with versatility and upside.
Jeremy Welsh - center
6'3", 200 lbs, 25 yrs old.
6 games in NHL with a point. 69 games with 29 pts (AHL)
Assets: Has the size and strength teams covet from the center position. Plays a solid two-way game and has a little upside as a scorer.
Flaws: May not be able to light the lamp with consistency at the National Hockey League level, so he needs to perfect the little things.
Career Potential: Big center with a little upside.
I expect MG will make a few more moves the next day or two.