Canucks Training Camp - News & Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Canucks Training Camp - News & Notes

Post by vic »

RoyalDude wrote: But hey, shoot me, cause apparently I made this shit up, as well as B Mack and Tony G, they made that shit up as well.
Listening to and getting hockey insight for those two eh? Now you and your rumblings make some sense to me...

:mex:
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Rumsfeld wrote:Liking Torts' system, much more aggressive defensively.

That said, we aren't the fastest squad in the league and I can see us getting burned bigtime by good teams on the transition when we lose those battles in deep.

Weber, Alberts and Lack... pretty bad.

Shinkaruk, Horvat and Gaunce... pretty promising.

I am pretty disappointed with Horvat's skill level though. He looks like he'll be a very good player down low protecting the puck, but I expected to see more offensively, even at 18 and in his first camp.

Burrows looks like shit, hopefully it's just a preseason thing. The Sedins are not 90-point players anymore but they should crack a PPG.
Luongo looking great last night. Nice to see.

We should sign a vet backup to split the 15 games Lack looks pencilled in for. Those are going to be very important points for us this year.

Kesler... who knows. He looks physically stronger than last year and he's such a dynamic skater, but his timing and decision-making really aren't there right now and they haven't been for a while.

Anyway, too busy to post much right now but I'm really looking forward to this season. Torts at the helm should be good for a laugh if nothing else. ;)
I am not sure what you were watching... Burrows had a good game. The Sedins would score 90+ points if they stay healthy.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

herb wrote: This helps explain why Corrado was sent down.
Is it actually a mystery why Corrado was sent down?

Up front we need forwards with Schroeder and Jensen injured and Kassian suspended.

We have 8 defenseman, 5 are set in stone. Of the other 3 only Corrado can be sent down without having to clear waivers first if memory serves.

The kid will be back, no question. He could probably use some serious ice time in the professional ranks anyways. Let him play 25 minutes in Utica, it will be good for him. First defensive injury and he's back and playing!

This is why you want young guys making a push for roster spots on a consistent basis.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

[quote="Aaronp18]
Is it actually a mystery why Corrado was sent down?[/quote]

No, but I think Corrado played well enough to make the team over Weber and Alberts. Had Shinkaruk and/or Horvat not made the team, Corrado may have stuck around. He didn't because of the reasons you identified, and also because Shinkaruk and Horvat are going to get a longer look. The guys who are waiver ineligible will always be at a disadvantage in this respect.

The Canucks roster is now down to 23 with Schroeder on the IR.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Jovocop wrote:am not sure what you were watching... Burrows had a good game. The Sedins would score 90+ points if they stay healthy.
Yeah, Burrows looked good last night. Everybody did. I meant that in the context of the whole preseason he hasn't looked good at all. I try not to read too much into the performance of vets in the preseason but it is what it is.

I wonder what kind of numbers Burrows will put up if he plays a whole season on the second line. I guess it kind of depends on Kesler as well, that will be interesting.

*stubs out roach and wanders away*
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Rumsfeld wrote:
Jovocop wrote:am not sure what you were watching... Burrows had a good game. The Sedins would score 90+ points if they stay healthy.
Yeah, Burrows looked good last night. Everybody did. I meant that in the context of the whole preseason he hasn't looked good at all. I try not to read too much into the performance of vets in the preseason but it is what it is.

I wonder what kind of numbers Burrows will put up if he plays a whole season on the second line. I guess it kind of depends on Kesler as well, that will be interesting.

*stubs out roach and wanders away*
Burrows' passing is underrated. He might be able to help Kesler and Booth.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Yeah, Gaunce, Corrado and Hamill send down.

I am surprised BoHo and Shanky are still here. I personally would send those 2 back. I thought Gaunce was a lil better than BoHo and he seems to be better defensively which would suit our 3rd/4th lines better; BoHo probably has more offensive upside though. Shanky is probably our new mason raymond, i guess he'll get a few more games to see if he can stick. I think Corrado will be our new Tanev, he'll probably be on the list as one of our first callups if there's injuries/guys playing poorly and fly back and forth quite a bit.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Yeah, Gaunce, Corrado and Hamill send down.

I am surprised BoHo and Shanky are still here. I personally would send those 2 back. I thought Gaunce was a lil better than BoHo and he seems to be better defensively which would suit our 3rd/4th lines better; BoHo probably has more offensive upside though. Shanky is probably our new mason raymond, i guess he'll get a few more games to see if he can stick. I think Corrado will be our new Tanev, he'll probably be on the list as one of our first callups if there's injuries/guys playing poorly and fly back and forth quite a bit.
Not even close, Shinkaruk is pretty feisty despite his size. His willingness to go to the dirty area is something that Raymond lacks.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Jovocop wrote:Not even close, Shinkaruk is pretty feisty despite his size. His willingness to go to the dirty area is something that Raymond lacks.
Yeah, hopefully. Hopefully Shanky has a higher skill set too and be more consistent offensively. Not sure if his wheels are as good as MayRay's though, I'll have to watch him more closely.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Not sure what's gayer... "Shanky"... or "MayRay". :look:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Jovocop wrote:Not even close, Shinkaruk is pretty feisty despite his size. His willingness to go to the dirty area is something that Raymond lacks.
Yeah, hopefully. Hopefully Shanky has a higher skill set too and be more consistent offensively. Not sure if his wheels are as good as MayRay's though, I'll have to watch him more closely.
LOL, yeah I think you will. :lol:

It's already very obvious that Hunter has much more pure offensive talent than Raymond.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

I like "Shink" more myself. The kid is more willing to get his nose into it than Raymond was. Shink can handle the puck coming into traffic better than Raymond, who used to chicken out and button-hook. Shink will actually try some shit and wait until he gets used to NHL poke/sweep-checks.

I only worry that at his height and weight he is going to get thumped some time soon and lose his spunk. Kid should just get older and bigger before he does any serious times in the bigs.

That said, the kid has the goods. :)
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Lancer wrote:I like "Shink" more myself.

I only worry that at his height and weight he is going to get thumped some time soon and lose his spunk. Kid should just get older and bigger before he does any serious times in the bigs.

That said, the kid has the goods. :)
Snap, my bad. I always thought it was Shankaruk, but it's Shinkaruk. What about Shinky? :lol: Well, if he sucks like Ballard, I can call him Huntard. :lol:

And yeah, the Canucks seem to be rushing our two most recent picks. I'd prefer to send them back to juniors as well. Hopefully it's just to give them a longer look and a lil NHL experience for a few games till some of our regulars come back from suspensions and what not.
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

Rumsfeld wrote:If we'd dumped Ballard, kept Ehrhoff and still signed Garrison, we'd probably have the deepest 6-8 D in the league right now.

I know he was looking for big money or long term, but if we'd shrugged Ballard's albatross of a contract off our shoulders we could have got'er done IMO.

Ehrhoff ran our PP, carried the puck, and was money with the Sedins. I was all kinds of pissed when we let him walk, it was the first big decision I was really critical of Gillis for. We have simply not been the same team since he left.

Of course once he walked, the general consensus was that I was overrating him and being a Debbie Downer... :roll:
youre on...right
just checkin in ... pretty buzzed tonight
for the first time in years we're actually talking about some 'upancomers', that gives a nice slant to things. In '11 though, Ehrhoff was 'bigger' than most realize, and quite franky, .... who is Frank anyways..? am thinkin the ole lady is gonnatake precedence to this stuff..nite
cc oldtimer
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

nuckster wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:If we'd dumped Ballard, kept Ehrhoff and still signed Garrison, we'd probably have the deepest 6-8 D in the league right now.

I know he was looking for big money or long term, but if we'd shrugged Ballard's albatross of a contract off our shoulders we could have got'er done IMO.

Ehrhoff ran our PP, carried the puck, and was money with the Sedins. I was all kinds of pissed when we let him walk, it was the first big decision I was really critical of Gillis for. We have simply not been the same team since he left.

Of course once he walked, the general consensus was that I was overrating him and being a Debbie Downer... :roll:
youre on...right
just checkin in ... pretty buzzed tonight
for the first time in years we're actually talking about some 'upancomers', that gives a nice slant to things. In '11 though, Ehrhoff was 'bigger' than most realize, and quite franky, .... who is Frank anyways..? am thinkin the ole lady is gonnatake precedence to this stuff..nite
lol, good ol buzzed posts.:-D

Yeah hoffer was a big loss, anyways I think our defense will finally create a solid cohesive unit this season.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.