Unholy Crap! Preseason Rags @ Canucks - Sept 26 @ 7:00 SNET

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: Unholy Crap! Preseason Rags @ Canucks - Sept 26 @ 7:00 S

Post by SKYO »

Strangelove wrote:
SKYO wrote: And ya gotta think Shinkaruk will see at least 5 NHL games!
Yup and what about Horvat?

Would they really rather have him play on the 4th line?
Tough call, guess we'll see what happens when Weise gets back, but gotta think Horvat will be sent down before Shinkaruk imho.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Great game by Lou.. 41 shots stopped !!
Not so good Lundquist.. Lets in 5 on 17
An entertaining game.. Corrado with a goal and assist
rewarded with a trip to the AHL :baaa: WTF//
Yep "its all about the money" ..
Booth had a skatearound .. so he's back..

So not sure what any of this proves .. we were outshot 2 to 1.. and won
It was a Lou show.. hoping for more of the same in regular season and playoffs..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Horvat and Shink will get the 10 game window and then get sent back to their junior clubs. With Weber eliminating Corrado, Santorelli eliminating Schroeder. Looks like Gillis, after 6 go arounds at the NHL ENTRY DRAFT will not have one of his own draft picks in the line-up in all of his 6 years as your GM of your Vancouver Canucks. This is a pro-journeyman/anti drafting and developing system we have here much like we saw with the Flames for a decade.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

RoyalDude wrote:Horvat and Shink will get the 10 game window and then get sent back to their junior clubs. With Weber eliminating Corrado, Santorelli eliminating Schroeder. Looks like Gillis, after 6 go arounds at the NHL ENTRY DRAFT will not have one of his own draft picks in the line-up in all of his 6 years as your GM of your Vancouver Canucks. This is a pro-journeyman/anti drafting and developing system we have here much like we saw with the Flames for a decade.
Seriously....dude. What do u intend on griping about when all these good young players stick likely next year? You can only hammer on Gillis's meat sweats and luggage eyes so much....
If you need air...call it in
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Strangelove wrote:Think he meant to say "without".

Yeah not sure what Alberts did in the summer for training.

I thought he was a very solid #7 last season but he's been just horrible this preseason.
Yeah, and his salary went from $1.2 mil to $600k, not exactly the trajectory that you want for a regular player. :?

Expect Corrado to be back somewhere mid-season and Alberts back to munching pretzels in the press box...
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

In previous years, like maybe last year, yeah it might have been appropriate to rag on Gillis for his drafting (although, one might argue that we were icing a more veteran lineup due to the "win now" mentality).

Right now, we largely have a Gillis team. The fact that we have so many players who have been solid contributors for so long should be something we praise anyway.

As for drafting and development goes, Corrado is looking like an absolutely stellar fifth round draft pick. Gaunce, Horvat and Shinkaruk are very promising prospects. Not much to criticize about with these three first round picks at all. Andersson has had a promising start to his pro career, and there is still untapped potential with Jensen, Archibald and Mallet.

Look at Gillis’ development track record with undrafted players; how does this not count as player development? Tanev has been an absolute gem of a signing by Gillis. Lack is another undrafted signing by Gillis who looks to be at the minimum a solid signing. Eriksson is another one, and we’ll see how he pans out in Utica. Same goes for Kellan Lain, who I thought had a promising camp.

Let’s not forget about Kassian, who is another guy Gillis acquired which the Canucks are still developing.

Of the players on this current roster, eight forwards, five defensemen and one goaltender have been acquired by Gillis. That’s over 60% of the roster.

Anyway, decent game by the boys. Lundqvist certainly did not look like King Henrik. The Canucks PP looked deadly, and the shot total was a bit misleading for those who actually watched the game as the Rags were firing from every angle, and many of these were easy saves for Luongo.

Speaking of Luo, he is obviously on top of his game right now, which is good to see. Too bad he now has a week off to contend with.

The PK was good. Positioning was good, which led to several breakaways and odd man rushes. EVERYBODY plays on the PK right now, which I think is great. Even supposedly crappy defensive players like Booth played on the PK and played well.

Booth looked good. Not much rust there and he is still an excellent skater. He has lots of promise of a good season. We need health and productivity out of Kesler, Booth, Higgins and Hansen.

The vets all looked fine. Torts system seems to be settling in. Torts offensive mantra from his defensemen clearly is “shots”, which is what led to the first goal. I’m loving the energy out of the vets in the Phoenix and NYR games (I didn’t catch much of the Sharks game).

Shinkaruk and Horvat should and I think will stick around for a while. Shinkaruk has fan favourite written all over him…tons of energy, enthusiasm and a smile that lights up the entire arena. He looks like a good teammate, and he obviously absolutely loves getting out there and playing hockey. Despite being 18, these two do not shy away from any areas and are keen to take or give a hit to make a play.
TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum »

I think the Corrado move has more to do with the salary cap to start the season and once that has been established he will be brought back up shortly there after...
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Jovocop wrote:Bieksa has a great game. The defense looks so much better with Alberts.
:wow:
LOL, I meant withOUT :lol:
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

SKYO wrote:Alberts brings the toughness and experience, so much so I bet Corrado gets sent down to juniors. 8-)
Unfortunately, Alberts' toughness also meant more unnecessary penalties and/or 2-on-1... Corrado should be back soon. If Alberts and Weber could be combined as one player, we might have something. One has the brain but lacks the size and the other has the size but lacks the brain...