Canucks Training Camp - News & Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Training Camp - News & Notes

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Potatoe1 wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
Pretty much agree with ya Pot, but I saw this coming a long time ago much to the chagrin of the of the CC hoi polloi. "RD YOU TROLL!" lol
You kind of are a Troll though.
whoa, whoa, whoa, whooooooaaaaaa Potroast, ease up on the trigger. I am more like the devils advocate and certainly not a troll.

You started out in your first two paragraphs disagreeing with me then with the rest of your post you pretty much, like me, describe Gillis as the new Jack Gordon of the Canuck GM Alumni.

It was clear that changes were needed after the Bruin lost but ever since then Gillis has hands down been the worst GM in the league.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

It's one thing to state your opinion, it's another to state it 50 times a day. :D
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Cornuck wrote:It's one thing to state your opinion, it's another to state it 50 times a day. :D
Mondhog day.....:)
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

RoyalDude wrote:If this kid don't get his shit together, it will not be good for this organization and GILLIS to have traded a good trading asset in Hodgson for him.

Yeah, hmmmm. At the time of the trade, we were sold that MG traded Coho cause of all the headaches the Hodgson camp gave MG and the Canucks. When all is said and done, Gillis may have traded 1 problem for another.

Coho
Pros: good skill set, good playmaking ability, good kid overall, potential #1-#2 centre, shown some ability to score in the clutch
Cons: a bit slow, questionable defensively and on faceoffs, bit of a moma's boy as he lets his family/agent speak for him and deal with his shit

Kassassian
Pros: nice physical package, willing to use his size/grit, willing to stick up for teammates, potential top power forward
Cons: inconsistent, seems uninterested at times, questionable top line scoring ability, takes dumb penalties at times, luvs to party which leads to poor conditioning and also possibly all the other cons mentioned.

I dunno, pick your poison. *LOL* It is still early, but Coho is a bit further ahead as he was just awarded a fat contract in $/year and length. I doubt the Canucks would give Zack that kind of money and term right now. Just hope the guy takes a step in the right direction. I don't expect prime Bertuzzi or Lucic type numbers, but show us something positive by playing consistently as a top 9 forward, be a consistent physical presence and pop in 10-15 goals.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote:
Just pretty much running with what B Mac and Tony G were saying about Kassian's professionalism

And this is where you lose all credibility. Gallagher is an asswipe who is known to lie and stir up shit. Macdonald is little more than a drunk bumbling idiot these days and these are the two losers you are getting your info from. What didn't the pinhead Don Taylor have an opinion on the matter ? How did Troy in White Rock feel about it ? Anyone who listens to the local jocksniffers for anything more than a pregame or post game show really needs to give their head a shake. These retards were the same guys who carved up Bertuzzi many years ago saying he was a useless piece of shit when he was 23- 25. Kassian is fucking 22 .

FWIW I agree with Poster Potatoe1 on most of his points. However I believe the team needed to get a bit tougher but not at the expense of skill. I also wish Gillis would have either gotten rid of more of the assclowns that embarass this team or at least clamped down on their bullshit. AV seemed to encourage the diving, yapping, hair pulling, whining etc.

I liked Ehrhoff a lot and he was a good fit. I do wonder though what the ramiifications would have been if he had signed for 5.5 - 6 million per as was rumored. Would the Canucks have wanted to give him the ten year 40 + million deal the Sabres did ? Highly unlikely. Having him here may have impacted Edlers contract substantially north of what it is now.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:If this kid don't get his shit together, it will not be good for this organization and GILLIS to have traded a good trading asset in Hodgson for him.

Yeah, hmmmm. At the time of the trade, we were sold that MG traded Coho cause of all the headaches the Hodgson camp gave MG and the Canucks. When all is said and done, Gillis may have traded 1 problem for another.

Coho
Pros: good skill set, good playmaking ability, good kid overall, potential #1-#2 centre, shown some ability to score in the clutch
Cons: a bit slow, questionable defensively and on faceoffs, bit of a moma's boy as he lets his family/agent speak for him and deal with his shit

Kassassian
Pros: nice physical package, willing to use his size/grit, willing to stick up for teammates, potential top power forward
Cons: inconsistent, seems uninterested at times, questionable top line scoring ability, takes dumb penalties at times, luvs to party which leads to poor conditioning and also possibly all the other cons mentioned.

I dunno, pick your poison. *LOL* It is still early, but Coho is a bit further ahead as he was just awarded a fat contract in $/year and length. I doubt the Canucks would give Zack that kind of money and term right now. Just hope the guy takes a step in the right direction. I don't expect prime Bertuzzi or Lucic type numbers, but show us something positive by playing consistently as a top 9 forward, be a consistent physical presence and pop in 10-15 goals.
In Kassian's defense, he's a year younger, has had less time in the NHL, never been given sheltered minutes to showcase the stronger aspects of his game, his successful play in a top 6 capacity was rewarded with a demotion to the bottom 6 because his coach felt that other players needed to get going and producing. I also don't think many teams out there would have given Hodgson the money he got, but Buffalo didn't exactly have a replacement for him in their system, and I'm not sure CoHo was really at the top of may other GM's lists in this cap crunching off season.

If Zack can reign in his partying ways and play to potential, the Canucks will have won that trade by a land slide.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
These retards were the same guys who carved up Bertuzzi many years ago saying he was a useless piece of shit when he was 23- 25. Kassian is fucking 22 .
And it's interesting to note that Bertuzzi was Kassian's idol as a youngster growing up.....

Looking at our 2 first round picks this year, and the potential that is obviously there in Kassian, I can see the return trip of the West Coast Express in this teams' future. :)

It's not a lock, it will take work, but I do think that the guy at the helm is the right guy to be pushing these kids.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Are say we may be in the early stage of

WCE11 :shock:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote: Just pretty much running with what B Mac and Tony G were saying about Kassian's professionalism away from the rink yesterday on 1040, or should I say lack-thereof professionalism. According to them, he's a high maintenance player away from the rink in preparation, discipline and yes - partying. Not saying he's as bad as O'Brien, but he's in the neighborhood, apparently. Which might explain why he looks completely disinterested half the time.
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: I liked Ehrhoff a lot and he was a good fit. I do wonder though what the ramiifications would have been if he had signed for 5.5 - 6 million per as was rumored.
MG wanted $4.5M per, Ehrhoff wanted $5.3M per. haha at least that's what I heard from one of the "insiders" I forget who.
But yeah Ehrhoff really was the glue to that awesome transitional game we had, just a fluid offensive juggernaut on the right side.
Which is why I keep on harping on trading Bieksa for a more offensive minded right side dman, who has good playmaking and passing skills, like say Cody Franson. :D
The only ramification I could see is that Edler would probably command $5.5m per as well, which wouldn't be that bad.
Mëds wrote: If Zack can reign in his partying ways and play to potential, the Canucks will have won that trade by a land slide.
Yeah unfortunately we'll have to wait a long time before Zack Kassian grows into his full potential, as most players reach their prime peak years at 26 ending at about 32 years of age, especially power forwards.

However I think Torts can bring out the best in Zackyboy eventually, a realistic target in goals for ZK should be 17ish goals this season, which will help catapult him above bust status, which would lay the ground work for a breakout season in 2015.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote:
RoyalDude wrote: Just pretty much running with what B Mac and Tony G were saying about Kassian's professionalism away from the rink yesterday on 1040, or should I say lack-thereof professionalism. According to them, he's a high maintenance player away from the rink in preparation, discipline and yes - partying. Not saying he's as bad as O'Brien, but he's in the neighborhood, apparently. Which might explain why he looks completely disinterested half the time.
:rockin:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rockin:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Got to agree with the Spudman.. this years crop is a little too green to be more than "potential" for next year but given time we have some excellent prospects for future years.. BoHo, Skinkaruk and Cassels looked good .
Gaunce might be the exception and be a good call up this year.
Kassian is a "work in progress" and will probably not hit his stride for a couple years..
so we are in a new divisional setup without the usual weak teams in our division..
Edmonton will be tougher this year.. and we have Ducks, Sharks and Kings to look forward too... Phoenix
and Calgary look like the only weaker teams.. Last year we were 19th in the League in scoring. With the Sedins and Burrows line being another year older and no big improvements to the other lines I doubt we will improve a lot in the goals for department. Not much to say about defence.Same gang but Tanev and Corado should both be a bit improved by age. Garrison played well last year and will probably be used more effectively this year on PP and as an offensive Dman.. Other than that its the same crew ..Goaltending ? Lack is just coming off an injury plagued year.. so it will be up to Lou to carry the freight..
My take ? We will need 100% effort from all players and a little luck to win the division but should make the playoffs with the new playoff format.. The team as it stands now is the weakest we have put on ice since 2008/09
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Strangelove wrote:Image
LOL

:drink:
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Potatoe1 wrote:It's all very concerning.
I agree with a lot of what you say, but would add that the Garrison signing has been a home run. Tanev obviously was an excellent pick up, and Corrado is looking like a superb 5th round draft pick. While Booth hasn't worked out (yet, and I still hold some hope), I can see where Gillis was going on that one from a philosophical standpoint (bigger, younger, faster, etc.).
Potatoe1 wrote:Trades Hodgson in previous season then sends a second rounder last year for a small, soft, skill, skill forward to play on the second line. Ironically the player we got was the same player the Sabers deemed expendable due to the Cody Hodgson trade. (are we confused or just changing our mind?).
Interesting point. I think this all depends on how much we believe the whole "I spent more time dealing with Cody Hodgson's issues then everybody else's combined" narrative, but Roy was a bust.

Letting Rome go was a mistake. Ehrhoff was asking for the moon, BUT he fit this team like a glove and his departure has left a gaping hole which has not been filled. I was hopeful we could upgrade Alberts, or at least try another big, strong defenseman (Fistric?), but apparently not.

Lappy had to go. I would have liked to have seen more of Lain in the preseason.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

I think you can argue that acquiring a player at the deadline last season was a mistake for sure but aside from that we desperately needed a centre and Roy was the best one to move.

Jussi Jokinen moved but he's more of a winger, Handzus moved but I don't think he was going to look anywhere near as good here as he did in Chicago. Hell, I wouldn't have minded picking up Roy and Handzus if we were going for it but I have my doubts that the Sharks were going to deal a legit NHL player to a team they could potentially match up with in the first round.

Anyway Roy was obviously not the type of center this team needed but it seemed pretty evident to me that they were going to take one last kick and the can and make changes in the offseason if/when it didn't work out.. a bit costly for an "optics" type of move but it's just one of those things franchises like the Canucks do.